How to set up a new Windows 10 PC perfectly in one hour or less

RV_

It is a good thing to refresh a computer now and then to clean out the kludge. Most folks dread it. There are also ways to refresh Windows only and keep your data only having to re-install programs and some Apps. Do go to the article though because there are hot links to other articles that help with steps you might have some refresher instructions about doing.

This is an easy thing. Remember, do this at your own risk.

Excerpt:

" Doing a clean install of Windows used to be a tedious process that could take the better part of a day. With Windows 10 and cloud-based software and services, you can get the entire job done in an hour or less.

For every Windows expert, the clean install is a time-honored ritual, a way to wipe out years of accumulated cruft and restore an old PC to new life.

I went through this process with a four-year-old PC last week, a Dell XPS 18 whose performance was dragging. It had 8 GB of memory, more than enough for basic productivity tasks, but the vintage 5400 RPM hard disk had become a serious bottleneck.

Fortunately, the prices of solid-state storage devices have dropped dramatically in recent years, so I was able to pick up a new SSD for a fraction of what it would have cost when this PC was new. After backing up the old hard drive, I could have restored a system image to the new drive, but this seemed like a perfect opportunity to start fresh.

If you want to do the same with an old PC, follow this checklist. In my case, the entire process took less than an hour, and the difference in performance was startling.

With a brand new, unformatted SSD in the system, you'll need to start by installing Windows 10. I downloaded the latest installer files from the Get Windows 10 page and used the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB drive. (If you need a refresher on the process, see my FAQ: "How to install, reinstall, upgrade and activate Windows 10.")"

The rest of the article steps you through the process. It is important to read the related articles if you feel it seems too difficult. Remember if you have your files backed up you can recover from any mistake, which when I make them, I call bone headed mistakes. :blink::lol:

Here is the meat of the article by my favorite online tech author Ed Bott:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-set-up-a-new-windows-10-pc-perfectly-in-one-hour-or-less/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived