Box doors

GlennWest

I am comtiplating building a pass thru rear storage box on my truck bed this weekend or at least get started on it. On the doors, I see y'all frame opening with angle and it appears you weld flat bar to door. Correct? Also 3/16" for doors?  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Mine has the door skin broke over to form the frame of the door. Welded in the corners, where the breaks meet. No additional metal for framing on the door. Also has a slight break diagonally, corner to corner, to add stiffness.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I built our trailer box doors out of 1x1 square tubing (framework), and skinned it with 16 ga steel. If you have the ability to brake it, or even beadroll the face, it will make it flex less.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Not to criticize your choice but I wouldn't buy a box made from 16 guage. Ones I ordering for front is 14 guage. Anyway my rear storage will get ramps, ladders, welding machine, etc. Don't want too light steel there. Also I have no brake. Just welder, drill press, grinder. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Determining the hinges and latch is the best place to start with doors

I'll build doors with .125" or .160"  saving the .188" for lids that cover deck boxes but if the doors are not large using .188" won't be an issue. If it is formed(bent) a larger bend radii is needed for .188" which can mess with the seal.

If yo use a channel then a door like this can be made. As well as allowing the gasket to be glued on 3 sides the channel is a little better at keeping water out of the box.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

I had a CM bed on my former dually. They leaked too. Thanks for the video. I was thinking of angle iron for seal area. Seeing I have no way to brake metal I need to weld flange/flatbar to door. Have to be careful not to warp it from the heat. One of the reasons considering 3/16 steel. Might be too much for hinges though.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, GlennWest said:

Oh, just discovered I can buy door kits from American Tool Boxes. I buying front boxes from them anyway. They custom build to size I need. 

Hi Glenn,

I see you are planning on buying tool boxes from American Tool Boxes. I was wondering how their quality was. I need to buy some tool boxes for my truck myself. My plan is to add the tool boxes behind the rear tires.  Can you give me some insight on the American Tool Boxes.

Thank you for any thoughts,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My reason for going with them is they custom build to size I need. They appear to be good quality. Ask me again a few years from now. Lol. I did order a 24X24X24 box from Home Depot for the back. I decided against the pass thu storage area. Would make it difficult to get to bottom of hitch. Made rack out of small tube steel for ramps. Using box on drivers side. Have room for a small box, 1', on passenger side for box or cover with plate. How much room do I need for tire socks or chains if I ever need them? Might could go larger

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

My reason for going with them is they custom build to size I need. They appear to be good quality. Ask me again a few years from now. Lol. I did order a 24X24X24 box from Home Depot for the back. I decided against the pass thu storage area. Would make it difficult to get to bottom of hitch. Made rack out of small tube steel for ramps. Using box on drivers side. Have room for a small box, 1', on passenger side for box or cover with plate. How much room do I need for tire socks or chains if I ever need them? Might could go larger

Hi Glenn,

I have not gone to the Home Depot site yet. But is there a brand name on the boxes that you ordered ?

Thanks for any input,
Al

It's the Buyers brand. You can get them 24" deep. Most other store inventory is 18" deep. The ones I'm getting from American Tool box will be 32" deep and 26" high, 60 long.  That will line up with with the furlings and clear chassis. Couldn't go but 24 at back due to ramps. The Buyers door drops down to open. Really don't prefer that but it was reasonable in price and heavy enough. Custom sizes are costly.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, GlennWest said:

It's the Buyers brand. You can get them 24" deep. Most other store inventory is 18" deep. The ones I'm getting from American Tool box will be 32" deep and 26" high, 60 long.  That will line up with with the furlings and clear chassis. Couldn't go but 24 at back due to ramps. The Buyers door drops down to open. Really don't prefer that but it was reasonable in price and heavy enough. Custom sizes are costly.

Hi Glenn,

Do you have any updates on your new tool boxes ? Are they the quality that you thought the Buyer's brand should be ? Is the Buyer's brand boxes made from aluminum or steel ? I am trying to decide what brand of tool boxes to add to my truck. That is the reason for all the questions. I am curious how your project is turning out.

Thanks for any input,
Al

Got the Buyers box. Have not mounted yet. Finished my Bludot disc brake project this past Sunday. Only day I had off. Box appears good. Door is adjustable so leakage should be kept out. I considered mounting sideways, it is a square, but no seal at bottom hinge. That would allow door to open to side. Don't know if it would leak or not. Solid hinge. Fairly heavy. Heavier than I thought it would be. The American Tool Box is 12 guage. Have room for a small box on right side between ramps and tire. Considering building it myself. Order doors from American.

Archived