What is the distance from back of cab to center of hitch?

leavingsoon

Hello everyone,

I wasn't really sure where to post this question...here or in the MDT/HDT sections....hope it reaches the proper audience :)

I am looking at installing a 5th wheel hitch on a MDT cab and chassis truck. Currently I have 72" from the backside of the truck cab to the center of the rear axle. I am trying to determine if I have adequate room to install a sleeper to the truck???

The truck is 20k GVW ....the rear axle is a 12k pound axle .... the front is 8k pound.....and the pin weight of my Teton 5th wheel is approx. 5k pounds. 

I was planning to install the hitch centered over the rear axle....but also curious if the truck is capable of allowing me to install the hitch slightly behind the rear axle if that will indeed give me the additional room necessary for adding a sleeper???

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks,

Phil

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

I'll give a generic answer.  Assuming your travel trailer is 8' wide, then you would need more than 4' from the center of the hitch to the cab in order to jackknife to a 90 degree turn.  However, most people never have a need for a 90 degree jackknife, something less than 4' will work, depending on your comfort level. 

How's that for answering a question and avoiding answering the question?  :)

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Go to Jack's site and use his spreedsheat. It will show how much front axle loaded or unloaded. Move hitch and see difference. Takes guess work out of it. Your Teton is also wide body so more than 48" needed

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

ok....thanks guys....splitting the trailer in half (8'6" wide Teton is correct) is what I was thinking I needed to do minimum, but wanted to verify. So I'm thinking the sleeper concept is out and will just stick with original plan of a basic flatbed.

Thanks!

2000 American Coach Heritage 45' motorhome

Archived