Tire Choices

Not Quite Yet

Ok,  trying to decide on tires for the 5th wheel.

Opinions please;

Goodyear:

Goodyear G114 215/75R17.5 Load Range H  Radial Tire @ $415.00 ea.

Continental:

235/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco Plus Radial Trailer Tire @ $415.00 ea.

Continental:

215/75R17.5 Load Range J 18 Ply Rated Continental HTL2 Eco Plus Radial Trailer Tire @ $370.00 ea.

Sailun:

235/75R17.5 Load Range H  Sailun S637 Medium Truck Radial Trailer Tire  @ $295.00 ea.

Sailun:

215/75R17.5 Load Range H Sailun S637 Radial Tire @ $260.00 ea.

Each of these is rated at 75mph @ 125 psi. So it will require new wheels. I will be putting these on a 39.5 ft Sanibel by Forrest River.

Thanks for your help in advance

I guess I tend to be a Goodyear guy!  I do know that when others had problems with the 16" tires a few years ago, they stood behind their tires and took care of rig damage as well.

Have you weighted your rig wheel by wheel?  May not need to best, but I do like the knowledge that my tires can take care of the job.

Hopefully others who have gone the Sailun route will chime in.  Big price difference.  Would sure be nice to hear about performance.  And if they take care of any body damage if the fault was their tire!  Not saying GY would also, but pretty good track record on the 17.5s.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Like HERO Maker above we had a GY G614 G rated blowout in 2009.  GY warranty was excellent in replacing the tire and minor RV damage so I stayed with GY and upgraded to GY G114 H rated tires.  We are on our second set of GY G114 tires in 9 years and 55K miles and had zero tire problems (well, 2 leaky valve stems).  Many of our friends are also using them with no problems.  The GY G114 tires are Made in the USA.  Tires are a major weak spot and cause many RV problems so I consider the GY G114 tires to be money well spent.     Greg    

edit...I run them at 110 psi based on the Escapees Smart weight of our HitchHiker. 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We've had our G114s for a year.  Couldn't be more pleased with the performance. Better ride and the thinner profile makes jackknifes a little easier. No issues with leaks using the high pressure metal stems. 

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

Im still running Gs on my DRV.  Just replaced the timed out Michelin XPSs.  Dont do many miles so went with Milestars at $680 for 5 G rated, and higher weight rating than the XPS I took off, then had them dismounted, mounted and balanced for $30 each.  I think I got the best deal I could.  I also was able to repurpose the XPSs to a deckover trailer I own with much lower capacity needs. I'll run those till they give up.

Tires are such a finicky thing, seems some brands are good for a while then something changes and they arent good for a while.  Although name brands seem to do better than others.  I use high capacity truck tires on my dually for work, service bed with lots of tools and welder/250' of leads, torches.  I try to be consciensous about inflation and rotation.  I generally get 40K-50K on them, Coopers, Bridgestone, Michelins, even imports.  Most tire shops tell me commercial trucks like mine get 25K-30K on those tires.  Well, its my company and so my money, and I want to get the best out of them that I can. I just try to stay in touch and look for the best value I can.

Marcel

I am running the 215 75 17.5 Sailuns on my 5th wheel and 8 Sailun 22.5's on the drives of my HDT.  I have been running them for 18 months and am very happy with them.  Goodyear does stand behind their tires, though.        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I have the Sailun's on our fifth.  Reviews have been very good.  They are a little more narrow than the GYs and that takes some getting used to, aesthetically speaking, but I think it's a good thing as there is less tire scrubbing.  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went back to ST tires after running LT tires and being a firm believer in running LT tires.  I did research, reading, head scratching and plenty of questioning myself. 

I went with the Carlisle HD tire 12-ply F-rated load and speed rated at 75mph.  Discount Tire had them priced at $160 each, however I located them on Walmart.com for $94 each and Discount Tire price matched the deal.

I read plenty of semi negative post on other Carlisle tires and in truth couldn't find much on the newer HD tire.  I took the lack of negative postings as a good sign.  That and the discount tire sales person said that there are really not been any reported issues with the HD tire.  When I asked about comparing the HD to the new Goodyear Endurance tire he recommended the Carlisle HD.

Currently:

2013 Wildcat 353LS bath and a half retirement villa

2013 Ford F350 crew cab PSD FX4

• 2 weeks later...

NQY     I just put 4 17'5's on our 2017 43' Mesa Ridge. Hercules 16 ply rated for 6007 lbs per. I have only taken 2 short trips but in Sept we leave for a 2 month 5600 mile trip out west from Va. I don't expect to run over 65 because the Nav won'l let me and that is OK. I feel much better with these tires but when we leave I'll have 3 spares. I would carry a spare N14 but I can't figure out where to put it. And I don't have 20k. But being serious I feel that the running gear has to be the best it can be or you will have issues at the most inopportune time. I am also up grading everything but the axles and the brakes. But if nothing else is done under the trailer/5er put the best and toughest tire you can on the road. My 5 cents worth and you can't even buy bubble gum with it. Be safe.    Pat

The Old Sailor

there is a lot of good info. we are looking a new 5th wheel, they come with a westlake tire. Never heard of westlake tires before. 

our only other choice from the manufacture is goodyear load range G.

any one familiar with Westlake tires?

Archived