Generator noise

CMC5

This question is for those of you that have experience with both a traditional RV with a diesel gen in the nose and an HDT conversion with the diesel gen somewhere under the house. My question is...can you compare the noise and vibration level inside the coach at night while on the bed? It would seem to me that the RV would be substantially quieter since the generator is so much farther forward, but looking for the thoughts and opinions of those that have more experience.

Thanks!

You are correct. The RV is quieter. How much, I don't know. But the truck APUs are pretty noisy, IMO. 

An Onan properly located on the truck would improve things considerably and give you more power than an apu. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a Showhauler 45' Motorhome on a Freightliner Cascadia chassis.  Our 12.5KW Onan sits below the Dinette in the Living Room.  Can barely hear it in the Aft Bedroom.  Has a quiet rumble in the Living Room.  No problems with Noise.

DSC06555.JPG

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Some generators are 3600 rpm, others like the 7.5 Diesel Onan  are 1800. 1800 rpm has the perception of being quieter.  It will also with some mods fit under the sleeper fwd of the100 gallon fuel tank.

Roughly  5k installed with a used one.  By a firm in New Iberia.  He did quite a bit of  work on my truck, top notch.

Electrical Innovations, give him  a call.  Only 230 miles from you...it's worth it to get something done properly.

I can't speak for what it is like with a generator in a 5th wheel.  I did have a generator (Honda 3000is) mounted to my HDT.  As for noise, I could not tell you if it was running or not running from inside the 5th wheel.  A truck APU typically produce more noise and may be noticeable inside the 5th.

On my MH I have a 12.5kw Onan QD.  It and the Honda have similar noise ratings.  I can hear the Onan, but keep in mind, my Honda was mounted under the cab of the truck, so technically it was further away from me when running.  Also with the generator mounted to the MH vs the remote mount on the HDT, I can feel when the generator is on/off.  Nothing distracting but I can still feel it.  At night if the generator is in automatic mode, it will wake me when it fires up or shuts down.  It is very subtile, but I am a light sleeper, so it does wake me.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

The current system has the generator on the truck, the new generator will be under the fairings, plug is at the rear under the license plate that flips up.  It's your standard 50 amp straight blade receptacle.  A 30' long power cord in the front of the trailer, next to the inverter  plugs into the 50 amp truck receptacle.  A second cord to truck from trailer operates a remote start switch below the electrical panel.

The 50 amp cord at the front of the trailer has come in handy when going into a site where the pedestals were at the wrong end of the pad.

DB level is 78 but not able to be heard in the trailer.  Current  unit runs at 3600 rpm, the Onan would be quieter.

Ours is mounted to the rear of the 5th wheel. Its a Honda EU 7000 and because we are in so many different places we opted to just run the 50 amp. cord to it as needed. It produces a low rumble which is hardly noticeable and only ramps up when the AC, or you have a lot running inside. It will go 12 hrs on a fill up and it's manual start. Paid $2,300.00 for it 5 yrs. ago and regular service keeps it going...... But my next fiver  will have a Onan in the nose with electric start.

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

I have a 5kw military surplus watercooled generator mounted on my bed, it gives me almost 60 amps of 120v. The genset is very quiet for what it is (72db) and when in the truck is quieter then my APU. When in the RV it can not be heard over the A/C's. I also use it to power my truck shore power when needed. I have the unit plumbed into my fuel tanks so we have arounf 450 hours of fuel at full power. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

If any of you boondock or dry camp in National Forests, National Parks, BLM areas, I sure hope you are considerate enough to look around to see if there are those of us who aren't using our generators.  If there are, please park at least 1/4 mile away. 

I guess you can't hear your generator while inside with the A/C running, but your neighbors sitting outside or even inside with the windows open, sure can hear your 72db noise level blasting a nice quiet boondocking spot away.  72db noise will be irritating  at least 1/3 mile away. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Al, Do you realize that a toilet being flushed averages around 75 dB? If you are parked near me on BLM, National Forest or National Park land, please park 1/3 mile away or use a shovel. Your flush will disturb my peace.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Taking into consideration the acoustical design of a toilet 1/3 mile may be further than needed as the sound waves are direct up wards out of the bowl and and not sideways.  One also has to take into consideration the conduction of the bowl. A plastic bowl will emit more noise than a ceramic bowl..........just saying :)

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 6/30/2017 at 8:04 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Al, Do you realize that a toilet being flushed averages around 75 dB? If you are parked near me on BLM, National Forest or National Park land, please park 1/3 mile away or use a shovel. Your flush will disturb my peace.

Ha Ha!  Good humor.  But seriously, when we approach a remote boondocking area, we look to see where others are parked and make every effort to park at least 200 yard or farther away if possible.  Even farther it appears as though they are going to crank up a generator.  And especially when we see an extremely noisy generator sitting around somewhere. 

Additionally we park that far away, because most people who are boondocking in remote areas appreciate the quiet and solitude of their location.  The last thing they want is someone pulling up and parking 50 yards away.  And that as little to do with generators or not.  

I do realize there are BLM boondocking areas where it is not possible to park that far away, because of the shear number of RV's wanting to park in the same area.  I remember one place, about 1/4 mile south of Why, AZ, where you were lucky to be able to be 100 yards away from another RV. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

5 hours ago, Al F said:

Additionally we park that far away, because most people who are boondocking in remote areas appreciate the quiet and solitude of their location.  The last thing they want is someone pulling up and parking 50 yards away.  And that has little to do with generators or not.  

EXCELLENT point often overlooked! Even if you're "solarized", boodockers are the friendliest most social people you'll ever meet... who... like their privacy and solitude. A difficult concept to explain or understand for some, maybe.

In some ways it's even worse than having a gen'er 100 yards off. They have obviously put in a lot of thought, planning, and expense to have that capability. They should know better! A gen'er? Well..... you gotta love them anyway, right? :lol:

28 minutes ago, brunsje said:

'Solar/Peaceful Folks'

Don't know about that. Park your rig 50 yards off a boondocker, string up your lights around the perimeter of your camp, crank over your genny and we'll see if our respective definitions of "peaceful" align. :lol:

No matter the source, noise is just annoying.  Whether it be country music, babies crying, loud exhaust, dogs barking, it will offend someone.  And the older we get, the less of it we tolerate.  Well, the older I get.......

I've never understood the speakers on the outside of RV's.  I don't care to hear someone else's rap, and they likely don't want me cranking up Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.  But that would require a generator...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

No matter the source, noise is just annoying.  Whether it be country music, babies crying, loud exhaust, dogs barking, it will offend someone.  And the older we get, the less of it we tolerate.  Well, the older I get.......

I've never understood the speakers on the outside of RV's.  I don't care to hear someone else's rap, and they likely don't want me cranking up Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.  But that would require a generator...........

You ride a Valkyrie too rick? sweet

6 carburettors

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Wish I had a Valkyrie.  One of the few bikes I felt comfortable riding two-up. But I have no shortage of carbs, with two CBXs.;)

So, back to noise....Last evening, I was driving towards home in the smart, and got behind a very loud bike, poorly carbureted, and a rider who obviously didn't know how to ride.  I passed him. Shame on me..............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Wish I had a Valkyrie.  One of the few bikes I felt comfortable riding two-up. But I have no shortage of carbs, with two CBXs.;)

So, back to noise....Last evening, I was driving towards home in the smart, and got behind a very loud bike, poorly carbureted, and a rider who obviously didn't know how to ride.  I passed him. Shame on me..............

Yeah , for shame ... you should have at least pulled him over and offered to do a carb adjustment . LOL

I really have no use for loud pipes , on anything . "Stupid is as stupid does" .

Goes around , comes around .

• 3 months later...

we have specific compartment for a generator but it is a portable 6500 watt Gen which vibrated too much for the boss lady so on the back of the truck it went, I do have to run the cord from the gen to the trailer hookup and have to go outside to turn it off but I hear nor feel any of the noise. also when we go somewhere with the truck we run everything off the inverter until we get back, so for me its a win win with the gen on the truck. Oh yeah we do attach a lock around the cords to keep them from being stolen (a must).

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

Archived