Contemplating full timimg

Rjchiefs

Hi all new member here. Been lurking for a year or so. I am thinking about going full time RVing in a 3-4 years and have a question. Would it be beneficial to attend one of the Boot Camps now or wait till I get closer to my date? I am considering the one in Texas in November. I've never owned an RV! But honestly I think I'll figure it out. I consider myself fairly handy. I'll be solo. I haven't decided on an RV yet. Everything is on the board. Right now my choice ranking is 5th wheel, class C, travel trailer, class A. All subject to change of course! More research and looking to do! 

Also want to say that I've lurked on several other forums and by far I feel the folks on this forum are the most friendliest and helpful without being disrespectful! JMO!

Welcome, I recommend an early boot camp give you plenty to digest and the time to do it.   We did Life On Wheels  which was the orginal instruction program for RVers I think in 04 and didn't start fulltiming till 10.  

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Welcome to the Escapee forums! Attending early would probably be a good thing if you continue to research and learn about RVs and RV living after that. Boot Camp is only the beginning and doesn't pretend to answer all of the questions. Before you go it would be wise to read some books on fulltime RV living from the library or from Amazon. The more that you know before you attend the better off you will be. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you have a sticks and bricks home and can afford BOTH the house and RVing, maybe give full-timing a year to see if you like it.  Just close up your house and go for a year.  Then, if you decide FT RVing is for you, swing back home and take care of getting rid of all that stuff.  If you decide FTing is NOT for you, you have not upended your entire life.

At least you're single so that is a plus.  You only have to please you.  Oh, and I suggest a used RV for your first one.  That way you can decide what you like and don't like, then spend more money on an upgrade after you have some experience.

Attend the boot camp early and then attend another one as you get closer to the time you are going to pull the trigger.  I would also recommend attending one or more of the bigger RV shows and going to the seminars they put on.  And like Kirk said, there are lots of good books to read in the mean time.  Approaching this as a continuous learning will be to your benefit because as you pick up more information/ideas you will find your preparation for and living of the fulltime life evolve.

2012 New Horizons Majestic | 2022 F-550 W/Classy Chassis Hauler Bed

Full Time Class of 2012 | Escapee #98787

BLOG: www.CuRVWander.blogspot.com

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10757;450/st/20120615/e/Begin+Fulltiming/k/f42e/s-event.png

48 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

If you have a sticks and bricks home and can afford BOTH the house and RVing, maybe give full-timing a year to see if you like it.  Just close up your house and go for a year.  Then, if you decide FT RVing is for you, swing back home and take care of getting rid of all that stuff.  If you decide FTing is NOT for you, you have not upended your entire life.

At least you're single so that is a plus.  You only have to please you.  Oh, and I suggest a used RV for your first one.  That way you can decide what you like and don't like, then spend more money on an upgrade after you have some experience.

I agree with the above advice given with one small variance: You can use the first year or so to come and go to your S&B house in weekly, monthly increments until you get the feeling whether the full time lifestyle is for you.  Everything else mentioned in the post by remoandiris is pretty spot on. 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

We also attended a Life on Wheels seminar when we went fulltime. It was informative, however, I learned just as much or more by reading all the rv forums & blogs in the year prior to going fulltime. You found this forum, a good one. Also, there is www.rv.net, www.Irv2.com. Look at owner's forums for the different types of rv's. Rent an rv to get really familiar with the small space. We rented 2 class c's and a class a but ended up buying a 5th wheel because it was too good of a deal to pass up. It was 5 years old and perfect for newbies. I purchased some books but felt like the forums were more helpful.

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

I also think you might want to go to Boot Camp now then again closer to departure time. You will learn different things even if the presenters are the same because you will be coming from a different place yourself.

When you go to RV shows spend lots of time in each type of RV thinking about what you would put where and and moving as if you were actually living in each. You'll find how how big a shower YOU need and if that chair is comfortable for more than the 5 minute break from walking the show, etc. (Every chair feels good at first when you've been walking on asphalt or concrete.)

When we got close to deciding which rig to buy I would take the manuals for that rig and sit my "my" chair to peruse them--two birds with one stone.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Getting in the shower and going through the motions of washing your hair or sitting on the toilet seat to find out where your knees will be can not be emphasized enough.  It might sound like a small thing, but it is the small things that will absolutely get under your skin.  I would go through all the motions of making dinner, where will your dry goods be stored, open the frig and pretend to take things out - it there somewhere to put them.   In the bedroom/bath area, where will you store folded clothes, what about extra sheets/towels/blankets/pillows.  Where will you store your wine (a prime concern for us :D), your electronics, remotes, etc.  Just take your time and don't let a salesperson bother you.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thank you all for the advice! I like the idea of attending one boot camp now and another as I get closer. I've been to a few local RV shows here in Iowa but nothing big. I will find some bigger ones to attend and "take my shower" and "cook some meals". I doubt financially I would be able to afford keeping the SB and have an RV and TV or Toad. I will probably buy used although I do like the Arctic Fox FWs and used ones are hard to find. Also like Nuwas. But like I said all options are still open! I'll keep looking and researching and reading. Thanks again! 

Don't feel bad about not keeping your house.  If you want to know true freedom that you can experience as a fulltimer, unloading the house is really on the list.  If you don't need part of the proceeds for the RV, put them into a good mutual fund so that they can make a little money and will be available for you to use when the day comes that you have to hang up the keys.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

If you don't need part of the proceeds for the RV, put them into a good mutual fund so that they can make a little money and will be available for you to use when the day comes that you have to hang up the keys.

And realize that this day will come for most people at some point. For us, the time came rather suddenly due to my wife's health issues. While you are going through the motions, consider also what it will mean if you need to use a walker or some other assistance device due to surgery or infirmity. As wonderful at the fulltime lifestyle is, you still can't stop the aging process.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived