Small Travel Trailer

OPKSJeff

By March of 2018 my intention is to buy a new small travel trailer. Won't be looking at a micro-sized one - just a basic "17"-ish single-axle that doesn't require a one-ton pickup to haul around. My plan is to be able to use this from about March through October for weekend getaways. Most trips I will be traveling alone.
I have read a few hundred posts on this board and always seem to see the same thing - you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I do not have the cash to put into a nice fifth-wheel or (dreaming here) a Prevost. I just want something to cover basic R&R weekends and the occasional visit by my grandchildren.
I've also noticed that the Travel Trailer section of this board is used pretty lightly. If I would be better served elsewhere, please let me know. I have always appreciated the advice of knowledgeable individuals who have info to share.

Sorry - not sure what my question is. I am just looking for some newbie guidance. Purchased a used popup previously but it left a bad taste in my mouth due to some very expensive repairs. Ended up scrapping the unit. So here I am four years later, and a tad wiser.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

As you do research you will see units you like, and don't like.  When you find a brand that suits you, read (then maybe join) their forum.  I have a Forest River Work and Play, so joined http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/  It is not run by Forest River, it's independent and there are several very helpful posts each day.  Lots of general information to pour over.  As time has passed I've even been able to answer a few questions!   Enjoy the search for your new trailer.  Buy what you will be happy with and can afford. 

Welcome to the Escapee forums! It is great having you join us.

Don't think that there are no travel trailers owners on the forums as there are and I happen to be one of them. When we were fulltime with a tow rating of 5k#. We have since upgraded to a used Dodge/Cummins diesel, 2500 (3/4 ton) truck to tow with.  

There is a lot of advice to be had here, so ask away. Remember that the more you learn the better off you will be when shopping. We can offer things like checklists to use and advice on manufacturer reputations. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, OPKSJeff said:

...my intention is to buy a new small travel trailer. Won't be looking at a micro-sized one - just a basic "17"-ish single-axle that doesn't require a one-ton pickup to haul around...

Another Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

A little more information would be helpful. Do you already have a tow vehicle or will you be buying one? If you will be buying a tow vehicle, I would recommend picking the trailer first and then decide on an adequate tow vehicle. If you already have the vehicle you intend to tow with, you need to choose a trailer within the towing and weight limits of your vehicle. This calculator may help in pairing a combination.

Not all small trailers are created equal both in quality and in carrying capacity. Depending on how much you will be taking with you, you will need cargo carrying capacity either in the trailer or tow vehicle. Some small trailers may have between 500-1000# of cargo carrying capacity while others have may have 3000# or more. I would not limit myself to a single axle as there are some pretty nice double axle small trailers. The double axle units may have considerably more cargo carrying capacity.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!! 

I towed an Escape 17B 17' travel trailer 86,726.2 miles over the last 5 years.  Sold it & will be picking up an Escape 21 in August.  Made by a small company (Escape Trailer Industries) in Chilliwack, BC.  They offer many options, and will do custom builds.  Currently about an 6 - 8 month wait - prices are good because of the current exchange rate.

I towed with a Toyota RAV4 (V6 & Tow Package) the first 4 years, and a Tacoma Off Road since April, 2016. Loaded weight for a 6 month trip was 3010 lbs & 345 lbs tongue weight.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Wow and thanks. Good information here. To clarify a few points...
1. I do not have the tow vehicle yet, but it will be purchased prior to the trailer. I appreciate the info about making sure I get a good match (tow vs. trailer). My tow vehicle will become my primary vehicle, so my financial decision on the trailer may hinge on how much I spend on the truck. Only time, and hopefully a nice bonus check will tell.
2. My concern with getting a double axle is mostly cost. I'd rather get a new single than settle on a used double if I can help it. I had such a horrible experience with the used popup I had previously I am a bit gun-shy on used.
3. Cargo/Capacity. This is a nightly fight I have with myself. How much will my "stuff" weigh? Next week I will be on vacation, and some of that time will be devoted to attempting to answer that very question.
4. Trailer Brands - At this point I think I have narrowed my search down to three, but nothing is set in stone. I am quite anal-retentive when it comes to research for a purchase like this. And I am not limiting myself to dealers in the greater Kansas City area. I found one in Omaha who seems to carry my type. I still haven't looked at other close cities (St. Louis, Ok-City, even Dallas).

I'll keep poking around here and will try not to be too shy about asking too many newbie questions.

PS - and old photo from my pup days. 1011961_10151673381244931_324653358_n.thumb.jpg.62ad53ef6af7de587318c1359e067864.jpg

12 hours ago, OPKSJeff said:

My concern with getting a double axle is mostly cost. I'd rather get a new single than settle on a used double if I can help it.

The main drawback to a single axle other than weight capacity is that a double axel helps a lot to stabilize the trailer and so cause much less effect on the handling of the tow vehicle. A single axle is usually limited to the lower priced RVs for that reason as well as the added cargo capacity that a second axle gives.

12 hours ago, OPKSJeff said:

Cargo/Capacity. This is a nightly fight I have with myself. How much will my "stuff" weigh?

You will be very unusual if you come to under 1000# and most people carry more, especially since a single must carry some of the things which are normally shared with two people. Remember that in addition to your personal items, you must also carry kitchen utensils, canned goods, and any other needed items.

13 hours ago, OPKSJeff said:

I had such a horrible experience with the used popup I had previously I am a bit gun-shy on used.

You haven't bought any new RVs lately have you . There are plenty of folks that are way more than a bit gun shy of new .

Goes around , comes around .

• 4 weeks later...

My personal opinion, I would never, let me repeat NEVER have a single axle trailer that I expected to use for long distance trips.  Back and forth to the local lake etc., sure, no problem.  Long term travel, no. 

Several reasons.  The dual axle will be much more stable and tow far better than the single.  The two fixed axles force the trailer to track straight and be far less squirrelly in high winds and around big trucks.  You can get away with less truck, everything else being equal, with the same trailer tandem vs. single.  The tandem will be far more forgiving for weight distribution when loading all that "stuff" you will need.  Get it wrong and you will be too heavy or too light on the tongue and have handling issues.  Mind you that can still happen with two axles, you just have more leeway.  Sucks to have to stack all those cases of your favorite beverage right over the axle when they would fit so nicely in that aft storage compartment, but now the tongue is light.  You get the idea.  And the biggest reason a single axle scares me-  tire blowouts.  Anybody on this forum who has towed a bunch of miles will tell you it is not IF but WHEN you will blow tires on the trailer.  Dual axle, normally not a big deal, you still have one more tire on that side to hold everything up until you get stopped safely.  Single tire not so much.  That could be real bad depending on where/when/how fast when it decides to go.  Also those small single axle units tend to have the real small tire sizes on them which will wear both the tires and bearings faster than a bigger tire (far more revolutions per mile).  Also hard to find higher capacity tires to upgrade to in those small sizes.

Just my opinion.

On 6/28/2017 at 5:41 AM, Pat & Pete said:

You haven't bought any new RVs lately have you . There are plenty of folks that are way more than a bit gun shy of new .

On 6/28/2017 at 2:55 PM, kayakbob said:

Pat & Pete got that right !

Buying new is no guarantee of trouble free !  I would look for a good used tandem axle , the previous owner should have cured most of the problems .

X3! If I wasn't full time and didn't mind maybe having my rig layed up in a repair bay 3-4 months or more the first year... I might consider it. New IS nice, but there are too many 1 or 2 year old rigs out there that the previous owner did JUST enough camping to figure out the problems and get them fixed for me before they gave up on the whole idea.

Kinda like getting a new puppy. You might get lucky.. but wouldn't you much prefer having one that came potty and obedience trained? ;)

It's all about the "check-up" when purchasing used. Some come abused and already nearly broken while others may have only had the head flushed 3 or 4 times.

23 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

My personal opinion, I would never, let me repeat NEVER have a single axle trailer that I expected to use for long distance trips.  Back and forth to the local lake etc., sure, no problem.  Long term travel, no. 

It just depends on the trailer chosen. The Casita Travel Trailer don't even build a tandem axle trailer which is also true of several other of the compact trailer builders. While there are some advantages to a tandem axle trailer but if you choose the right trailer and tow vehicle to match, and many of us do so quite comfortably. 

• 4 months later...

If you are interested in a small trailer t be used for just traveling around in I'd strongly recommend a 17 foot Casita trailer. I went from a 30 foot Motor Home down to one. I needed a new truck so I bought a Tacoma Sport, 3.5L V-6 with towing package (6500 lbs.). They have all your basic needs. They pull great even in high wind And I'd also recommend a WDH if your using a small tow vehicle like a Tacoma. It just makes the ride more enjoyable.

Escape trailer are really nice but get ready for sticker shock if you can find a good used one which is like finding  chickens with teeth. And there's a lot more small trailers out there, so keep looking and reading, you'll find the one your looking for in time.

On 6/26/2017 at 7:50 PM, OPKSJeff said:

By March of 2018 my intention is to buy a new small travel trailer

Just throwing these out as potential places to look. TRANSWEST TRUCK TRAILER RV OF KANSAS CITY. They have a number of new, close out model TTs for sale right now. I have dealt with this company and my experience with them has been very agreeable.

Kansas RV in Chanute, KS -  this is where the Hitchhiker brand used to be made. I have a number of friends that have dealt with them in both purchases, upgrades and repairs and they all have been satisfied. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

So how's your search coming along, Jeff?

He has not bee back in quite some time. Note from his profile:

• Content count2
  • JoinedJune 19
  • Last visitedJuly 23

• 9 months later...

From what I see and hear about new RV's, the manufacturers are slacking off quality control in favor of quantity. Buying a good used trailer can save you a lot of hassle provided that the original owner properly maintained it. It means that you look beyond the bling and look for things like water stains, broken fasteners, missing screws (rivets or bolts) and the condition of caulking. Also critically evaluate the running gear (tires - DOT codes, wear), suspension, brakes. Above all, seek advice from an experienced professional RV tech.

Trailer = 1987 Airstream Excella 32'

Truck = 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Archived