Replacing DirecTV with Internet

Our coach is now 10 years old and the DirecTV receiver and Motosat dish have worked well.  Until recently, when the receiver went bad.  Had an ATT service guy come out, needs to replace the receiver.  No problem, I have a service warranty.  But the newer receivers don't have the same LNB so he replaced the LNB.  But there still stuff to do, safe to say it probably will be a week or so before I get everything worked out.

We are currently in Buena Vista, CO with no, zero OTA TV.  So I was wondering how much of the same stuff I could get via Internet, as I have Mobley/ATT $20 unlimited internet installed already.  I was curious anyway, as my DirecTV DNS DVR account is $150/month.

So I already have Netflix ($10/month), Amazon Prime, and added CBS Access ($10 month).  Got FOX, NBC, ABC, History Food and several other channels free.  So far, I am able to get live CBS channels and access to most other stuff we used to watch.  So, we may be able to replace our DirecTV with Internet.  Time will tell as we will be in the boonies this summer and we'll see how well the Internet TV works.

Just thought you might be interested....

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

I have been streaming exclusively since January. Using AT&T Mobley    and T-Mobile hotspots. Travel all over USA and have been extremely pleased. Haven't found a place yet where I can't get service although I do use a WeBoost and sometimes a MiFo outside antenna in very fringe areas.

i stream Netflix , directvnow, curiosity steam and history vault. Plus lots of amazon prime.

this is the future!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

• 4 weeks later...

Something to consider is all of the nice outlying places that don't have cell service yet, like most of Yellowstone National Park.  Satellite tv maybe your only connection to the outside world there.  Even worse, there are congested places like Quartzsite that have great 4 bars of 4G signal, but there are so many people trying to stream at once that your signal keeps rebooting. 

John & Connie Parker
2001 Ford Bounder 33' Motorhome
2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 towed
Lifetime Members SKP #96350

Besides the amount of data used to stream (which, I'm sure would be prohibitive for the amount of TV we watch), can you set this up so you can see it on a TV?  Or do you have to sit in front of a computer monitor to watch?  If the latter, that would be a deal-breaker for me.  I can't imagine two people trying to crowd around a laptop screen to watch a TV program or movie! 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Later day PCs have HDMI output that can be fed into a TV.  There are also devices that plug into a HDMI port and connect to the internet.

Just remember "unlimited" not longer means what we learned as children.  Unlimited streaming means from those streaming sources that have contracts with your carrier.  Not every stream source is unlimited. 

And there are places, many places,  that is doesn't matter what your subscription bandwidth is, the bandwidth won;t support streaming. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

Besides the amount of data used to stream (which, I'm sure would be prohibitive for the amount of TV we watch), can you set this up so you can see it on a TV?  Or do you have to sit in front of a computer monitor to watch?  If the latter, that would be a deal-breaker for me.  I can't imagine two people trying to crowd around a laptop screen to watch a TV program or movie! 

Smart TV. I can watch Amazon Prime movies, TV on my 55" Curved 4K Samsung plus many other apps.413480836.jpg

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, John Laninga said:

Our coach is now 10 years old and the DirecTV receiver and Motosat dish have worked well.  Until recently, when the receiver went bad.  Had an ATT service guy come out, needs to replace the receiver.  No problem, I have a service warranty.  But the newer receivers don't have the same LNB so he replaced the LNB.  But there still stuff to do, safe to say it probably will be a week or so before I get everything worked out.

We are currently in Buena Vista, CO with no, zero OTA TV.  So I was wondering how much of the same stuff I could get via Internet, as I have Mobley/ATT $20 unlimited internet installed already.  I was curious anyway, as my DirecTV DNS DVR account is $150/month.

So I already have Netflix ($10/month), Amazon Prime, and added CBS Access ($10 month).  Got FOX, NBC, ABC, History Food and several other channels free.  So far, I am able to get live CBS channels and access to most other stuff we used to watch.  So, we may be able to replace our DirecTV with Internet.  Time will tell as we will be in the boonies this summer and we'll see how well the Internet TV works.

Just thought you might be interested....

John

John, we're going the same route you are - all streaming.  I've already cancelled our Dish account and use Mobley for access, although we do get a few local channels where we are.  We also have Netflix and Prime, although we can't get CBS on our Samsung (Samsung says they don't support the CBS app, but we do use it on our tablets.)  I am interested in how you get Fox, NBC, History and the others  you mentioned for free. 

Thanks for any information on how to do this.

Pat 

I have two TVs in my camper. Amazon Fire Stick hooked up to each of them ($39). These Firesticks use WiFi to connect to my hotspot. Easy Peasy!

The ATT Mobley ($20 a month)has unlimited streaming as does the T-Mobile hot spot ($35 a month) for streaming DIRECTV Now, Curiosity Stream, Netflix, etc.

so far, have not found a place where T-Mobile, ATT or Verizon with a WeBoost did not work. Loving Streaming TV....

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

OK, another question:  What programs can you get streaming?  During the season when the new shows come on, we mostly watch programming on CBS and occasionally the other 3 major stations.  We also watch a lot on NatGeoWild, Travel, MSNBC, and movies on stations such as TCM and Stars Encore Westerns.  Could we get all of these channels by streaming?

I'm not sure I'd give up Dish because we are sometimes in areas where we have no Internet Access (Mesquite Springs Campground in DVNP, for instance).  And, while we do have Verizon's unlimited plan, I would imagine that streaming would quickly use up the 22GB monthly "soft" limit, wouldn't it?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, you don't really have 22 gig on Verizon for this situation. If you enable the hotspot on the phone you get 10 gig - same with a Jetpack.Then you get throttled down to 600kbps. Which you will find effectively kills your stream. If you have limited demands on what shows you watch, you can do streaming. But I don't think a demanding viewer will be satisfied with just streaming. But that is just my opinion....each person is different.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

53 minutes ago, LindaH said:

OK, another question:  What programs can you get streaming?  During the season when the new shows come on, we mostly watch programming on CBS and occasionally the other 3 major stations.  We also watch a lot on NatGeoWild, Travel, MSNBC, and movies on stations such as TCM and Stars Encore Westerns.  Could we get all of these channels by streaming?

You would probably need the $70 DirecTV Now to get the programs you want.

The $60 one doesn't have StarzEncore

I still like my Genie with the 5 channels that it can record all at the same time.
I like watching a 30 minute program in less then 20 minutes.

Broadcast networks averaged 13 minutes and 25 seconds of commercial time per hour in 2009, which grew to 14 minutes and 15 seconds in 2013, the story reports.

On cable TV, the growth has been even more significant, the report notes. Last year, the average was 15 minutes and 38 seconds, up from 14 minutes and 27 seconds in 2009, according to the report.

369070033.jpg

6 hours ago, Biker56 said:

I still like my Genie with the 5 channels that it can record all at the same time.
I like watching a 30 minute program in less then 20 minutes.

6 hours ago, Biker56 said:

If you like that you will REALLY like the Dish Network Hopper3 that records 16 at once.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

12 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Linda, you don't really have 22 gig on Verizon for this situation. If you enable the hotspot on the phone you get 10 gig - same with a Jetpack.Then you get throttled down to 600kbps. Which you will find effectively kills your stream. If you have limited demands on what shows you watch, you can do streaming. But I don't think a demanding viewer will be satisfied with just streaming. But that is just my opinion....each person is different.

We do have 3 devices, so up to 30GB hotspot usage.  But I'm pretty much of the same mind as you...streaming simply wouldn't work for us given the amount of TV we watch.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime, you can download content instead of live streaming. Perhaps download it when you have access to high speed WiFi or good cellular signal. The bandwidth usage for streaming or download is about the same. The content is generally good for 7 days or 48 hours after you hit play. With a little pre-planning you can setup a lot of content without using an cellular monthly allocation. You don't use any bandwidth allocation to just watch the downloads. Only works with Apple OS, Android and Windows 10 devices. 

Also great for airplane travel with a laptop!

On 6/26/2017 at 2:50 PM, John Laninga said:

They are 2 OTA stations within 28 miles of Buena

Local PBS and ABC

Wouldn't live streaming make it very hard or slow to channel surf?

369070033.jpg

15 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

Wouldn't live streaming make it very hard or slow to channel surf?

Streaming certainly has it's place and is a viable option for many.  However, IMO, it does not support traditional TV viewing habits.............such as channel surfing, flipping back and forth between programs, multiple recording, many live sporting events, etc.  A new attitude and approach is necessary to make internet based TV work for most of us.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Our "solution" is satellite radio. We are news junkies and there is plenty of selection between NPR, CNN, MSNBC. BBC. When we get OTA, we watch local news and "MeTV". Otherwise there isn't  much on that we are interested in, especially the 14 minutes of commercials per hour. Netflix is mostly of no interest to us. Only cost is $12 month for satellite radio and works almost everywhere. Don't  have to worry about site selection with regard to satellite positioning. Simpler and cheaper are better for us at this stage of the game. Cable is a treat when parks have it.

Archived