New Mexico State Parks pass

Hobo John

I found this on rubbertrampartist.com - a blog by Blaize Sun, a full-time rubber tramp.

For $180 a year, New Mexico residents can buy this pass allowing them free developed (non-electric/no sewer) camping at any New Mexico state park. (The cost of the pass for residents of other states is $225.) The pass is good for 12 months from the month of purchase. (Learn more about the New Mexico State Parks Pass and/or order one here: https://newmexicostateparks.reserveamerica.com/showPage.do?name=common&commonPath=/htm/NM_AnnualPasses.html.)

SKP# 136386

The New Mexico Camping Pass is one of the better deals out there and it is no secret. In our experience since 2004, the New Mexico State Parks are getting more crowded every year. The basic site fee for a non-utility site at New Mexico State Parks is $10. So, the break even point is 18 nights for residents and 23 nights for non-residents. The pass gives a $10/night discount for sites with utilities if they are available at the park. The camping pass also covers free entrance (generally $5) to those New Mexico State Parks that charge an entrance fee. There is also a park entrance pass for $40. The passes are good until the end of the month of purchase, so if purchased on the first of the month they  are actually good for 13 months.

A number of states have annual camping pass programs and annual entrance pass programs. Some are available to non-residents, some are not. Ohio even gives discounts to Passport America members at several of their state parks for stays in the middle of the week. If one is going to spend any significant amount of time in one state and enjoys staying at state parks, it is worth doing some research.

I at one time had one, in fact we had two. They hit you up for an extra vehicle fee of $10 if you have more than a motorized RV and toad or a trailer and truck. My wife drives the Jeep behind our truck and 5'er. Back then each one was $100 so if I stayed 20 nights in NM state parks it would pay for itself because it saved us $10 a night and we had a nightly cost of $4.

Since we spend most of the year in SoCa I doubt I would buy the passes again.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

We spent a great deal of 2007 visiting New Mexico State Parks using their annual parks pass.  We visited all of the northern parks during the summer, which are at higher elevations, so we never needed to have AC.  Our plan was to visit the parks in the southern part of the state during the winter, but we lasted only until December when it got too cold for us.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 6/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, Weffy said:

Texas State Park pass is the same but the cost is $65.00/70.00 per year.  They are great to have and the $$$$ goes to support the state parks

The Texas State Parks Pass only waives the park entry fee, and includes a half-price discount for four nights of camping with exceptions. Nothing like the unlimited free basic camping included on the New Mexico pass.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

58 minutes ago, travelinbob said:

The NM park pass is not unlimited. Only good for 14 nights and then out of that park for 16 nights. 14 nights in any 30 day period.

You are wrong on a couple of counts. Here is a link to the regulations which read:

" Campers may reside in a park for a maximum of 14 calendar days during any 20-calendar day period unless the director otherwise decreases or waives this limit. Campers shall completely remove camping equipment and gear from the park for six calendar days during the 20-calendar day period. Campers can go to another park for six days, then return."

There is no limit on how many days one can stay in the New Mexico State Parks, just a limit on days one can stay in the same park within a 20 day period. Very few state park systems allow stays of more than 2-3 weeks in the same park except for campground hosts or other volunteers.

22 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

The Texas State Parks Pass only waives the park entry fee, and includes a half-price discount for four nights of camping with exceptions. Nothing like the unlimited free basic camping included on the New Mexico pass.

And I believe that this is for four different stays.  Four nights total, only one night each stay, I think.  Not to be compared with NM's at all, as you say. 

Cathy (Catharine) Summerfield Hana

52 minutes ago, cskp said:

And I believe that this is for four different stays.  Four nights total, only one night each stay, I think.  Not to be compared with NM's at all, as you say. 

Also only valid for stays of two or more nights. Kind of restrictive but I'm usually able to use them up. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived