Open Bottles

NealG

The law in the state of California states thar there can be no open container of alcohol within reach of the driver. This pretty well covers other parts of the Union as well.  Of course, the driver of the vehicle can't have a ABL of .08 or greater, same as when driving any motor vehicle.  When driving a tow vehicle,  there can't be any open container.  Hope to have helped,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

Welcome to the Escapee forums! 

18 hours ago, NealG said:

Do they need to be locked in the basement storage?

The short answer is no. I would take it that you are referring to travel in a mototrhome, and in such case, Orv has stated it correctly. It may not be within reach of the driver but I would never allow consumption of alcohol by the passengers while traveling either. Stored in a usual cabinet, cupboard, or the refrigerator was no problem. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Well the natural answer is to never leave an opened bottle unfinished from the night before:)! Yes, this can be painful the next day, especially if opening large bottle of scotch - but we do what we must do...

=====

Yep, keep it out of reach of the cockpit area, and don't worry about it. It is legal in most states to have passengers drink while driving, as long as they are behind the cockpit/driver. (My DW and Daughter would go share a bottle of wine as I would drive, the nights we'd be heading out for a trip after a day of work... (We'd leave around 7:00PM, and get north of Los Angeles before stopping that night. Did this for several years while we were all still working, and time was short on vacations get aways. We preferred this to getting up way early, and trying to beat (If that is ever possible now...) the LA traffic:)!)

Have fun, travel safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I will not allow alcohol in the drivers compartment, it must be in the living area. No-one drinks alcohol unless we are parked for the night-or longer.

Yes the BAL limit is 0.08 to be legally intoxicated, BUT- a driver can be cited for impaired driving below that limit. If you possess a CDL the limit is 0.02, meet or exceed that and kiss your CDL, plus your job, Goodbye.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Most states do prohibit drinking by anyone in the car/truck while driving... as it will be an open container within reach (see above discussion).

Also, be careful some places define driving as just being in the drivers seat even if the car is parked & off.  Not too common but does happen. 

6 hours ago, sleeper125 said:

Also, be careful some places define driving as just being in the drivers seat even if the car is parked & off.  Not too common but does happen. 

There are more than a few places, where being passed out cold in the back seat of a car can get you a DUI if you have the car keys in your possession. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Al, thanks for the link! I was operating from memory about where I live, good to know I remembered correctly.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 6/26/2017 at 9:44 PM, Ray,IN said:

If you possess a CDL the limit is 0.02, meet or exceed that and kiss your CDL, plus your job, Goodbye.

0.04, not 0.02

382.201   Alcohol concentration.

No driver shall report for duty or remain on duty requiring the performance of safety-sensitive functions while having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater. No employer having knowledge that a driver has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater shall permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

[66 FR 43103, Aug. 17, 2001, as amended at 77 FR 4483, Jan. 30, 2012]

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2119733/Vin-Diesels-storey-1-1million-trailer.html

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

0.04, not 0.02

382.201   Alcohol concentration.

No driver shall report for duty or remain on duty requiring the performance of safety-sensitive functions while having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater. No employer having knowledge that a driver has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater shall permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

[66 FR 43103, Aug. 17, 2001, as amended at 77 FR 4483, Jan. 30, 2012]

I repeated information from my 2 nephews, both of which hold CDL's and drive HDT's. One drives for the state of Indiana. Keep in mind individual states may impose stiffer rules than the federal government, but not more lax rules.

On another note; your handle big5er brought this to mind, talk about a big 5er:

Vin Diesels 1.1 million dollar 5er

Archived