Sleeping Quarters

JimmyD

Excuse me 5th Wheelers. We (two of us) have been full-time for 10+ years, traveling in a motorhome. We have had only one -- a Safari Trek, 27 feet long. We still love our Trek but are thinking seriously about moving to a 5th wheel rig. We are looking at one of the shorter Arctic Fox rigs. However, one of the reasons we got the Trek and have continued to love it is that the "bedroom" is very open. For those not familiar, there is no separate bedroom. The bed lives in the ceiling during the day and comes down at night. Both of us love the open feel that creates for sleeping. Every time we have looking at other motorhomes and now 5th wheels. The bedroom/sleeping arrangement gives us claustrophobia. It seems very confined and stuffy with little or no cross ventilation. The Arctic Fox, and many units, only have a small window on one side. Yes, they do have ceiling vent fans, or the ability to add one, but nothing like the cross ventilation that we have now.

So, the questions: Does this bother anyone else or are we both total anomalies? How have other people dealt with it, or is it not an issue? Are there 5th wheel units that have more open/well-ventilated sleeping quarters? Should we be looking at a travel trailer rather than a 5th wheel?

Any, and all, thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input.

Jim & Jan

Our fifth wheel has a small window on each side of the bed in the bed slide sides and two much larger windows at the foot of the bed.  If we want a nice breeze we'll open the two small windows beside the bed and turn on Fantastic fan downstairs on exhaust so a cool breeze is sucked in the open windows across the bed.         Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Our 37' fifth wheel has 9 windows (3 very large ones, 1 in rear and 2 in large slide) downstairs and 4 windows upstairs.  We like lots of light and seeing outdoors.      Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

HitchHikers are not being made anymore, 2013 was the last year.  NuWa (HitchHiker's manufacturer) remains in business but their name changed to Kansas RV Center, still in Chanute, KS.  Here's their website:

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/blog/why-you-should-buy-your-next-rv-from-kansas-rv-center/

They sell a few other brands and used HitchHikers.  The parts and service department remains busy too.  Here's a link to their older NuWa website so you can see the archives (top right of page) to checkout fifth wheel configurations.  If they don't have what you want tell them and they will keep their eyes open for a used one for you.       Greg

http://www.nuwa.com/

Here's a link to the owners (not sponsored or controlled by (NuWa) forum:

www.nuwaowners.org 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

When we purchased our Arctic Fox years ago, the factory customized our TT with an additional window and outside storage door.  What's the worse they can say if you ask?  I know AF has new management, but you never know.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

The Grand Design Reflection 29RS and 303RLS are smaller units (30'11" and 32'5" respectively). Their full queen beds are not in a slide - oriented fore-and-aft - and the new model year has added some more glass to the bedroom. They're probably not as well insulated as the Arctic Fox, but we've weathered some pretty severe conditions in our 337 and have been very happy with the unit for our 22 months of full-timing. As with Greg and Bill, our bed is in a slide with windows on either side of the bed - plus another on the other side of the bedroom. We can get plenty of cross-ventilation and day-night shades beside the bed will take care of sunrise if one of the windows happens to end up facing east...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks Rob,

Interesting, the Reflection is the only 5th wheel we have actually looked at since the dealer we went to had them in stock. I will take a look on-line at the units you mentioned. One thing that attracted me to the Arctic Fox is the cargo carrying capacity. Our unit now has very low CCC and it is a real pain to keep it below that limit.

Jim

Take a look at FW with a Front Living area, this puts the bedroom in the back, so ceilings are full height and I think really open up the room.  I am 6'4 so I appreciate the higher ceiling, but you do end up with a lower ceiling living area, and I have read a few people comment that it is harder to cool the front living in the heat of the day when you are most likely to be in that area.  This is not a popular floor plan and the ones I have seen are in the longer lengths.

Archived