DROM BOX GARAGE

Refuzn-To-Grow-Up

I am thinking about installing a Drom box "garage" on my Volvo (see photo).   I am singled short.  I am even thinking about installing a smaller version of an overhead crane system similar to the one installed on Henry's Volvo, Ketchup.  The crane would be used lift the things into the garage, like barbeques, recumbent trike. For those of you have done this modification, I have a few questions.

Did you build or buy the box?  If you bought, who did you buy from?

How do you access your fuel tanks to fill up?

How do you access the cab suspension components at the back of the cab?

Any other comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

mlc_main.jpg

You and I are possibly on the same mission. As mentioned in an earlier thread, I too have been considering adding a drom box to our Volvo VNL 420 for a motorcycle garage. I did find a nice looking pre-built unit at Joplin Trailer Sales in Joplin, MO. It is fully lined with five rails of E-tracks that are installed on each side. it also has a full swing door at each end. When mounted directly to the frame on a hard rubber cushioning strip, it appears the outside height of the drom box should closely lineup with the roof of most Volvos that have the lower (flat) roof line like mine, and would be well below the height of the condo cabs. Thus cutting down on the level of wind drag and be more appealing to the eye

Forklift tubes have been permanently welded into the floor framing of the drom box, which should make for easy mounting and un-mounting of the box to and from the truck's frame. The unit can be wired to the customer's spec's during installation or aftermarket bt the customer. I do not know yet if it comes in multiple sizes, or only the one shown on their website. Although this box appears interesting to me as an option, I've not yet priced it or called my friends in Joplin to have them go by JTS to check it out for me. I know that the ultimate setup for me would be to go ahead and have Henry install the drop hitch assembly on my ET Hitch to pull my utility trailer with when needed, and to install the drom box to carry all of my accessories for the 5er (like my 6" x 6" x 18" blocking, etc.) in rather than loading it in the basement and overloading the RV. To date, we have always carried it separately inside a smaller tool box on the Volvo, and in the utility trailer since we are always traveling with both vehicles. 

Then after much thought, I have decided rather than going with the more expensive automatic rail system for loading motorcycles in/out of the drom box, I'm going to stick with a less expensive folding aluminum ramp system with a permanently mounted winch in the front to pull my 58 Harley Sportster into the box using a cable and short tow bar assembly attached to the front forks of the bike. Offloading would simply be achieved by connecting the bike to the cable and tow bar, then while walking the bike out of the box and onto the ramp until the break point in gravity is meet. For safety and control, the winch will be slowly let out to help control the bike's descent down the ramp and onto flat ground. Obviously the ramp system would be wide enough for there to be enough foot room on either side of the bike walk it up and down the ramp.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

I just looked up those ones at the Joplin Trailer Sales. That looks great for what I may need. http://joplintrailer.com/?page_id=260. If you get more info including the dimensions and cost, please do share here. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

1 hour ago, BlueLghtning said:

I just looked up those ones at the Joplin Trailer Sales. That looks great for what I may need. http://joplintrailer.com/?page_id=260. If you get more info including the dimensions and cost, please do share here. 

Now that looks super heavy duty! 

I have been flip-flopping back and forth on what I want to do with a bed for a few years.  And, for our needs, the drom-garage looks like the way to go.  We have a toy hauler (flip flopped on that for sometime) and although, the living area s reduced by the garage, the toy hauler works out best for our needs.

It would be much easier to go in to the drom-garage to get something instead of pulling things out from under the trailer.  I also want to shift weight from the trailer to the Volvo.

I will also be adding two joboxes to the back of the Volvo, one on each side.

Edited by Refuzn-To-Grow-Up

Just wondering if someone is going to call them for dimensions, I have a need to keep my bicycles out of weather, and away from people with sneaky fingers - who steal things.  Unfortunately my bikes are expensive, as I try to make up with money what my legs lack.  It is like trying to buy a golf swing with a new driver.:)  I can call just wanted to minimize the amount of bother to the company.  Joplin is a great little town, bye the bye.

Chuckd Stillwater Mn

23 hours ago, Refuzn-To-Grow-Up said:

I am thinking about installing a Drom box "garage" on my Volvo (see photo).   I am singled short.  I am even thinking about installing a smaller version of an overhead crane system similar to the one installed on Henry's Volvo, Ketchup.  The crane would be used lift the things into the garage, like barbeques, recumbent trike. For those of you have done this modification, I have a few questions.

Did you build or buy the box?  If you bought, who did you buy from?

How do you access your fuel tanks to fill up?

How do you access the cab suspension components at the back of the cab?

Any other comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

mlc_main.jpg

We built our own but we do not have a side access door or crane because we did not need one.

Accessing fuel is not an issue as a Freightliner has the fuel tanks farther forward with access door in fairing. On a Volvo you have to leave an access hole like in the picture you posted.

Cab suspension parts are accessed from underneath. We just had a cab bag replaced on our last trip at a dealer and the mechanic said it was not much harder doing it. You may want to just go ahead and replace you cab bags and shocks before you build your bed, then you know they will all be good and should last your lifetime.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

5 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We built our own but we do not have a side access door or crane because we did not need one.

Accessing fuel is not an issue as a Freightliner has the fuel tanks farther forward with access door in fairing. On a Volvo you have to leave an access hole like in the picture you posted.

Cab suspension parts are accessed from underneath. We just had a cab bag replaced on our last trip at a dealer and the mechanic said it was not much harder doing it. You may want to just go ahead and replace you cab bags and shocks before you build your bed, then you know they will all be good and should last your lifetime.

Dave

Dave:  I am leaning toward building my own because I will get the exact features that I want.  I have a tube bender and welders.  Since I do not have the equipment to lift the completed box onto the bed, I am thinking about a modularized design, whereby I could fabricate pieces and then lift them onto the bed for assembly.  

So many projects and so little time . . .  SIGH!

Do you have any photos of your build?

Somebody contact Steve Dixon. He had his garage/drom custom built and the last time I spoke with him he had nothing but praises for the company that did it. He parks his smart car inside and has tons or room for stoarge. 

16_dixons_b.jpg

Edited by Big5er
typo

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Major frame to support the hoist were 2 x 5 3/16 wall. Skin frame support 1 x 1 thin wall tubing. Roof (walk on deck) 1 x 1 thick wall tubing. Skin steel sheets pretty thin, roof 1/8 diamond plate. Everything riveted with stainless steel rivets, air riveter, don't even try to pull them manually.

CWEADDel.jpg

kVHCeuel.jpg

Roof strength test.

rsUmggFl.jpg

Collapsible roof railing. folds into the depression.

B3D1d6ol.jpg

Hoist, comes out 5 feet, will pick up Harley or a platform with golf cart

i85X7Upl.jpg

Drom was built on the shop floor and hoisted to install on the deck. Hard point installation weldnuts were already in the deck to bolt it in. Note strategic cutouts in the corners of the deck, that how the truck is fueled.

YGDgKsyl.jpg

I built three of these, the one on Kechup, this one and a third one, bigger one on singled long Volvo to take two motorcycles in the garage.

This is when we were screwing around with the concept.

LISYHIDl.jpg

We put another single door on the back wall Idea being after the motorcycle is loaded how the hell you get out of the garage. Open another door and get out onto the rear deck.

The ladder was attached to that door, you opened that door, slid the ladder up, pull it back which would flatten out the a small platform at the top, pull the bottom further out and angle the ladder placing the rubber non-skid bottoms on the rubberized deck.

nBV1Sdbl.jpg

oeVsQYxl.jpg

The whole project was pretty slick. Lot's of firsts, lots of fun, made squat for money when it was done.

0u7ztuel.jpg

You want to see funky, The guy was gonna use the drom as a shower room after day of racing.

ijvidvwl.jpg

See the shower pan in the deck plate. Don't think he ever had water plumbed there, but the drom was shower ready.

Wonder where the water was gonna come from

968VAFrl.jpg

From the water tanks we installed in the truck frame under the hitch, of course.

We were serious about safety of the "occupants" drinking beer, climbing the ladder to be 13 feet up on top of the drom, watching nightly races at Sturgis which required rear passenger on the motorcycle to be braless. Long way down if one got "too excited".

The sucker sure was pretty when finished. Nobody built one like that before or since. I believe it was sold to another owner recently

CiNP0J5l.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013

3 hours ago, Stan Wright said:

I sent one last week, but haven't heard anything.

That's disappointing, who did you e-mail? I emailed the two listed as parts mgr & parts sales. I found some numbers I might try next. 

Parts Manager / Purchasing David Brisco dbrisco@joplintrailer.com
Assistant Manager / Parts Sales Mark Rhines mr@joplintrailer.com
Edited by BlueLghtning

If I was looking at doing this, I'd start with a daycab, dress out the box with a folding bunk to get the RV tags, then have a dual purpose box, and a reasonable length truck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Steve and I both have boxes made by Brown Industries. They are located in Lawerance Kansas.

And I think I can speak for both of us that we are very satisfied with the end product. 

http://www.bcvi.com/

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

I called them and spoke to Joe.

For new boxes, they charge $8500 and they don't mount them there. The box dimensions are around: 

• door opening is - 58" wide x 64" tall
  • Outside dimenisions are 64" width (front to back from side view) x 80" tall x 97" deep (width across truck frame) 

They do have a door on either end and include the e-track shown in the pics. They are built to miltary spec. 

46 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I called them and spoke to Joe.

For new boxes, they charge $8500 and they don't mount them there. The box dimensions are around: 

• door opening is - 58" wide x 64" tall
  • Outside dimenisions are 64" width (front to back from side view) x 80" tall x 97" deep (width across truck frame) 

They do have a door on either end and include the e-track shown in the pics. They are built to miltary spec. 

Thanks for getting the information.  I had emailed 'Steve'.

Call Brown I think it will pay to shop. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com