Exhaust Leak on D12D Fixed - Pics Included

RandyA

I had developed an exhaust leak.  I could not pinpoint where it was.  I could hear it and see the black soot covering the right side of the engine.  The only way to find and fix it was to start tearing parts off.  First I removed the fender liner, then the brace.  To keep from cutting my leg up I removed the piece from the front with the fog and driving lights.  The air filter box and piping had to come off.  My add-on air horns were also in the way.  This is what I had once all the parts were removed giving me access.

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

This is where I found the leak.  It was where the exhaust manifold clamped to the tube that mounts the forward EGR valve.  I always thought the part that went to the EGR valve was open.  It's not.  I guess it is made that way for mounting and possibly heat transfer.

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

It is all back together now.  All the soot is cleaned off and and the exhaust leak is fixed.  The entire job took a lot of wrenching but removing the stuff in the way rather than trying to work around it was definitely worth the time.  It was not a hard job - maybe my pics and success will help another Volvo D12D owner save some shop $$$.  I figure a Volvo tech would work twice as fast as I do.  Since I spent a full day, including breaks and head scratchin', I figure I saved at least $450 in labor by doing it myself.  That is a lot of diesel for traveling.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, I need to get my truck disassembled to about the same point you did, so that I can install my OTR EGR delete kit. I think I will also have to pull the alternator off to get to an electrical connector. I sure wish we lived closer to each other so we could share some of the Volvo fun on our various projects. What is the old saying........two knuckleheads are better than one ????    Thanks for the write-up and pictures.   Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

We do live next door to each other 3 months out of the year (Wickham).  Maybe we can get it done this winter if you are still "working on it" :rolleyes:

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

OK - that is interesting....... Truck belonged to a US Mail contract carrier and records show it was only serviced at a Volvo dealership until I bought it in 2009.  I have no idea what the part going to the EGR valves is suppose to look like - only what mine does.  I am curious as to why it was not open.  Sure would like to know the answer for real.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Randy  Great way to save big bucks! You always show and tell a great repair with your pictures and words of wisdom. Keep them coming. Headed for Williamsburg (Pottery) Thursday until the 5th. I really want to look under your 5er. I'll call you. Be safe....Pat

The Old Sailor

On 6/26/2017 at 8:58 PM, RandyA said:

OK - that is interesting....... Truck belonged to a US Mail contract carrier and records show it was only serviced at a Volvo dealership until I bought it in 2009.  I have no idea what the part going to the EGR valves is suppose to look like - only what mine does.  I am curious as to why it was not open.  Sure would like to know the answer for real.

Lots of those engines has the freeze plugs installed. Also if it was done, it would also have the center knocked out of the Turbo gasket. AS its almost closed off, too add back pressure. As with the back pressure, it forces the gases back to the EGR.  Would also be a box added to override the EGR program. Engines that had that done to them. Even when almost new. Pulls better, and lots better MPG. Almost like boosting the HP from 350HP to 465HP its that much difference.

event.png

OK - have done some further pokin' around.  That thing that looks like a plug put in the EGR tube is actually a valve.  Yep, it opens and closes as part of the EGR action.  This guy did a video on how to disassemble and clean a faulty EGR valve.  Pretty interesting.  Shows how it works and could save a bundle of $$$ if you have an EGR fault.  Video Here.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Archived