First low-earth-orbit, low cost broadband gets government approval

docj

Despite all the press that Elon Musk gets about his planned exploits, yesterday another entrepreneur became the first to get FCC approval for a low-cost, space-based internet system based on a cluster of 720 satellites.  Service could begin as soon as 2019.  FCC approves low cost, space-based broadband

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

And the race is on! :D

I'm looking forward to seeing LEO Internet in action. If the pricing is competitive with cell data service for RV'ers, than this will be a real boost to our connectivity on the road...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

radio signals aren't, but let's add another 720 objects to the orbiting garbage dumb up there.

A drop in the proverbial bucket compared to the 4,400 LEO sats Elon Musk wants to launch...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Would sure beat our High Speed DSL lines now. A Whopping 1.5 MBPS sure is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW.

And Wireless with less than 100 KBPS upload.

And customer service responds PROBLEM LEAVING HERE OK

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Great news Joel,

I don't care what color it is, just bring me some wine! (Intimidated teenaged girl on a date at a more expensive restaurant she's ever been to, on being asked by the Sommelier if she wanted a white wine or red wine with their supper main course.)

It matters not who is the provider and with two of them up there we all get competition with no one having to use the infrastructure installed by another. Unlike to day where cable companies have a monopoly in each town and will not compete with another town next door.

Interesting that they are using Arianespace for launches instead of Space X or Blue Origin BE-4.

Other space news shows the ULA looking for an alternate rocket engine from both Blue Origin and if ULA decides against going with the BE-4, it has a “Plan B” in place to use Aerojet Rocketdyne’s AR1 rocket engine instead.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/jeff-bezos-blue-origin-picks-huntsville-alabama-rocket-city-4-engine/

I believe the ULA would rather go bankrupt than buy from Musk since he sued them to get his share of launches. When Boeing had Li-Ion battery issues on its planes they refused Musk's offer of help. Took them another two months to fix their problem.

Thanks again Joel, I have been on other projects head down and going at it hard.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I can't find the Space X video showing them popping several satellites out of a capsule bay with another five or six empty release pods. IT was impressive.

Space debris is a problem being addressed by a Swiss firm:

https://www.space.com/30079-how-a-pac-man-satellite-will-gobble-up-space-debris-video.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived