Slideout Toppers?

Don SC

Our 5th wheel trailer has 3 slideouts without toppers, so we're considering adding some. I tried a search but nothing comes up. Does anyone have advice  about buying and installing them?  Are they a project for a regular handyman or better left for experienced hands? Any brands to not consider? Thx

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

I researched and looked into getting slide toppers.  I opted not to install them.  I have seen many of them flap in the wind and even people putting beach balls under them.  Why are you looking into getting them?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

So your current slides do not have a rubber seal system to keep water out when extended?  I will agree that it does help keeping debris off of the slide.  I go up on the roof and blow that slides clean with an electric leaf blower before we pull them in for travel.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Rubber seals-yes. On our 1st 5er, a 1994 Terry, the top seal failed and boy what a wet mess. Only happened once, but the carpet and flooring got soaked.

Lewisburg, Tn.

6 hours ago, Don SC said:

I tried a search but nothing comes up.

I found these with a Google search for slide out awnings.

Shade Pro     Dometic ~ A&E       Lippert ~ Solera          Carefree       Girard Systems   

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Don SC said:

Rubber seals-yes. On our 1st 5er, a 1994 Terry, the top seal failed and boy what a wet mess. Only happened once, but the carpet and flooring got soaked.

I have not priced toppers in several years, but it seems to me you could replace the seals every few years for the price of the toppers.

8 hours ago, Don SC said:

A suggestion if I may that has helped us in the past; when leveling our current and previous rvs: 

1.  keep  a 8-9 inch or so torpedo level inside for "leveling" purposes(useful to have and better than the mickey mouse rv levels) 

2.  if the the slide(s) are on one side,  the rv should "lean" ever so slightly outward on that side

3.  if you have a slide(s) on each side, tip rv slightly towards the front or back.  

Water will usually roll towards the front or back of the slide(s) and minimize chances of coming inside when retracting.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=8+inch+level

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

I had toppers installed to keep acorns, leaves and such clear of the top. There a time I couldn't climb a ladder, now I have a balance problem so still pick my days to be on top.

I like the idea of the topper and others do not have problems I have. Is it the installer or the brand (CareFree). My toppers hold water and may upload the water, gallons at a time, on to the entry steps with a gust of wind. Also when you put the slides in, do it slowly in steps to minimize the water that will enter if you have windows slide sides. Water can be rain or A/C condensate.

The wind noise hasn't been a real problem and the beach ball type isn't a solution if the slide is about 11-12 foot off the ground

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Just now, ms60ocb said:

I had toppers installed to keep acorns, leaves and such clear of the top. There was a time I couldn't climb a ladder, now I have a balance problem so still pick my days to be on top.

I like the idea of the topper and others do not have problems I have. Is it the installer or the brand (CareFree). My toppers hold water and may upload the water, gallons at a time, on to the entry steps with a gust of wind. Also when you put the slides in, do it slowly in steps to minimize the water that will enter if you have windows slide sides. Water can be rain or A/C condensate.

The wind noise hasn't been a real problem and the beach ball type isn't a solution if the slide is about 11-12 foot off the ground

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

When strong winds are predicted, I toss a light rope over the topper the long way, and secure the ends under the slide with a bungee cord to keep the topper from flapping. It's simple, effective, and only takes a minute or two to put in place. I use a rope I cut to length and tied loops on the ends just for that purpose, so it's always ready to install.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Our '04 Alfa came with the combination slide toppers that pull on down for window awnings. They had vinyl for about 10 " from the side of the trailer  then went to sunscreen material. Never thought much about toppers before buying the fiver but now I sure wouldn't be without them. If you spend much time in warm, bright sunny areas, they sure help keep the slide from picking up quite a bit of heat from the roof. Yes, they will flap in wind but if the spring tension is set correctly it minimizes the flapping. Also, by having sunscreen material, it will let some wind pass thru and will not let rain puddle. After 13 years of fulltiming I just replaced the material last March. The vinyl had become brittle and cracking but the sunscreen material was still pretty good. Had Arizona RV in Wellton AZ. sew me up new toppers/shades with ALL sunscreen material and I installed them. Something else, they do protect the EPDM rubber roof quite a bit. Looking at our main roof and the slide roofs you can really see the difference. Carefree made these combos but I do believe they have discontinued them. It really is too bad as now if want slide toppers and window awnings you end up with 2 rollers and more holes in the rig. If you are handy you can install  them but just make sure before buying or ordering you have the correct measurements. For the install, it will take two people.

Kirk, thank you for the links.

Just as I expected, there are reasons to have the toppers and reasons for not having them. I think we might wait until we've seen how the 5er handles the water and I've got some good advice about tilting the slides and cleaning the tops.-

Lewisburg, Tn.

I installed a slide topper from scratch.  It took a bit of research and watching YouTube videos a few times before purchasing and installing it.
The first thing to consider is if there will be enough "slope" for the topper.  Some manufacturer's do not consider the addition of a slide topper and the end result is that the awning material is practically level after a topper is added.  Thus the reason for water puddling and beach balls under the topper.

Instructions that come with the slide topper recommend a 1" to 3" slope from top edge of camper to outer edge of awning roller when extended.
Examine your slide out.  If it retracts with almost no space between the slide "frame' top edge and the camper roof top, then it could be a problem.  If the slide frame is 4 inches below the roof top edge, then your slide would be a candidate for a topper.

Look at other RV's to see how their slide toppers are installed.  A good slope is important.  Hope this helps.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I'll second the benefit of toppers in hot weather. Can really make a difference over the slide roof, which is usually much less isolated then the rest of the roof.

We toss the rope trick too, when strong winds are forecasted (May have learned this one from Dutch - been so long now, can't remember where we go that tip.). I also spent money for a large boating used bumper cushion. Using a fold out electrical wire feeder, I snaked a rope under the topper from one side to the other, and with a short 5' ladder could reach the end. This was prettied to the bumper cushion, and I could pull it under the topper until it was mid way from front to back, and within the width of the topper. This made a 'bump' that would do two things. Help keep water from pooling, as the topper slanted to front/back directions. And it would hold the topper a bit tighter, which would reduce wind noise too. Did this for one full season. And then stopped doing it. Not because it did not help, but because I was just not having as many times when I needed it. (I carefully bring in the slides when wet. And as mentioned, now toss the rope and make the sides of the topper snugged down a bit to help in the wind.)

Best of luck to you on your decision,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Only a few days ago someone posted about laying a tarp on top of their side-rooms to reduce sun heating up the slide-room. That's one reason I have had slide toppers on our 40' 5er, and now on our MH super-slide. I can see the effects of sunlight on the roofs of our RV's, but the slide roofs have all looked new when we sold the RV's.

I remember one time before we bought slide toppers we were returning to Indiana from wintering in the RGV; over-nighted in KY because we were both very tired. Arose next morning to discover about 3" of icy snow covering everything, with temps in high 20's. Had to stay another day because I couldn't climb the ice-covered ladder or walk on the icy roof so I could attempt to chop the icy snow off the slide roofs.

BTW, that was the last RV we bought without toppers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Not saying run out and change trailers - 

A Carriage has slides with no solid parapets extending up from the walls to hold crap on the slide roof...  

Ice and chitty half frozen wet snow does not get wiped off by the rubber flappy seal. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We put toppers on both of our slides and haven't regretted it at all.  Flapping is minimal and over time we've used inflatable beach balls to slide under to eliminate high wind flapping when it has been an issue, not every time.  Different strokes.

Archived