Running motor while parked

Twotoes

Yo Gator, you raise good points. As an engineer I know there's "antecdotal" evidence (no shortage of such on this board, mine included lol)  and there can be hard scientific evidence HOWEVER it would take considerable time, expense, and precise   measurements to prove or disprove how many dry starts over how much time or for how long ran on and on and on variables helped or harmed a certain engine and how much more or less actual bearing wear differed.. That being said, I make my own personal choices which are to exercise an engine regularly AND FOR A LONG TIME PERIOD UNDER LOAD AND TEMPERATURE and to use Synthetic Oil plus Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer and anti drainback oil filters and I've done that for years AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM so I guess that proves my method is best right LOL LOL. As I said I cant prove nor disprove my method helps or harms nor can anyone elses method ABSENT HARD CORE PRECISE TESTING AND MEASUREMENTS.  To me its just intuitive the longer an engine sits the less oil film remains on bearing surfaces and it has to be hard on an engine to crank it with no oil temporarily present so I'm a believer in exercise cycles at regular intervals under long enough time and load and for oiling up the seals to avoid dry out and shrinkage and if anyone has hard proven scientific data (NOT an opinion) to show that harms my engine and its better off NOT done Id sure take a hard long engineering critical look at it. Sooooooooo to each their own and that remains their free choice EVEN IF its not supported by science. Exercise or never exercise ITS YOU CHOICE which I wont try to stop you and expect the same in return.

John T Old retired Engineer

1 hour ago, gatorcq said:

Who have really experience a problem that has concrete proof, that running / starting the Diesel has caused a shorten life ? 

It is pretty difficult to prove what has been prevented and even when the worst happens, very seldom is one willing to spend more than needed to make repairs only to prove why the damage was done. But many of us are interested in the opinions of others who have experience with various things and choose to follow the advice of someone who has experience. Even though an opinion isn't supported by science, that doesn't necessarily make it wrong, Sometimes we just have to go with our best guess! :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are really worried about letting an engine sit un-started for long periods and the loss of lubrication on the critical parts, simply disable the ignition on a gas engine or fuel supply on a diesel engine and crank it for several seconds to build oil pressure. If I were doing it I would go to the starter and energize the signal wire of the solenoid to crank the engine without starting it. If an engine is in good shape 10 to 15 secs. cranking should be enough. When I was rebuilding engines I would do this before starting a fresh engine. 

Archived