Rust treatment for HDT frames

dgezy

Quite a while ago there was discussion about treating the HDT frames during the conversion process to stop further rusting. Of course I can't find that information. I am looking for the product names people were using to treat the rust. I would like to do that to the lower panels of my pickup truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Thourgh cleaning and good paint. I mean cleaning with a wire wheel on a end grinder/buffer. That's what we do in construction and no rust. Rust is like a cancer. It will spread until removed. Rust is caused by oxidantion. Seal it, good paint, after removing rust and fixed.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We used Rust Kutter from Tractor Supply and Extend, a Loctite product.  Both prices indicate that yo should remove all loose rust and scale, but not to bring it down to shiny bare metal, the chemical compounds actually convert the iron oxide into a polymer primer.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

POR 15 says the same thing as John.  Don't take it down to the shinny metal.  If you do, leave it out until there is a slight rust on it so POR 15 can do it's thing.  It will fade to a gray after awhile, but it sealing properties are still there.  Just paint it a color of your choice after it dries.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

There is also a product called ' Rust Bullet '. There is also another product called ' Chassis Saver '. They work like POR-15.

Good luck on your project,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived