Hi Everyone,

How does anyone control the population of spiders in their trailer or coach ? I did a search of the Escapees web site and nothing came up. I can understand about using a bug bomb to kill the pest. But how does anyone keep up with the population control. Is there any special products to use. If I could stay away from chemicals, all the better. Any idea or thoughts ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Demon WP

Just drop one self dissolving packet into a pump up sprayer with one gallon of water. Spray around and under RV, and in crevices, and on water hoses, sewer hoses, levelers, jacks power cords,  and all other possible entry points. Quickly kills all kind of bugs including Black Widows and Scorpions. Even keeps sugar ants out. Lasts for 30 days or more. Doesn't take much, a little goes a long way.

DEMON WP BUG SPRAY

2 hours ago, Flying Finn said:

We use Ortho Home defense spray.  Can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware stores etc..  My wife sprays it around all areas that contact the ground and likely entry points. We have been pleased with the results.

That^ .

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Five Wood said:

Spiders are good.  They eat the ants. 

Jim

Would that include the Brown Recluse that bit me? That happened 2 months ago and my  leg is still swollen and dark brown at site of bite-no antidote for venom.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

23 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Would that include the Brown Recluse that bit me? That happened 2 months ago and my  leg is still swollen and dark brown at site of bite-no antidote for venom.

But Ray, just think of all the ants he got before he got you?  Seriously, I hope you're ok.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

Just now, Five Wood said:

But Ray, just think of all the ants he got before he got you?  Seriously, I hope you're ok.

Jim

DR. said it can take up to 8 months to fully recover from a Brown Recluse bite. Look it up on the net if you don't have a queasy stomach.Thankfully mine must've been a small spider. I sprayed my RV garage  best I could; found a dead one 2" in dia.

Back to ridding the RV of spiders. Pest control companies have a residual pesticide to eliminate spiders and kill their eggs so you don't get re-infested.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Someone have problems with ants??  I have a solution which worked for me, found it on UTube.

Get a smallish bottle of Boric acid, something like salt or sugar consistency wise and mix it with Maple syrup.  Pretty high dose/mix.  turns the MS almost grey.  Put blobs of it around the counter or wherever they hang out.  In the UTube video it killed them on the spot, in my case they ate it, ran over it, partied on it but the next day there were fewer and 2 days later they were gone, completely. 

This was over a month ago and none since.

These were the little tiny ones, sugar ants I'm told.

Like I said it worked in my case.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the ideas. Does anyone use the Ortho Home Defense inside their trailer or motorhome ?

Al

3 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the ideas. Does anyone use the Ortho Home Defense inside their trailer or motorhome ?

Al

Yes at floor level

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

51 minutes ago, bruce t said:

A pet lizard would solve a lot of problems!!

Like the one you had in the flower bed?  :)  Did I think that it just ate fruit? And Pam would never share her strawberries with a lizard! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Heck no Kirk. Lizards around here can and do eat insects. Cats, dogs and any unwanted small kids! (Daughter has a bearded dragon and a cage full of live cockroaches. At meal time you first have to catch the cockroach to feed the lizard. That's fun).

By the way. Our lizard is nolonger with us. I'm afraid he has passed onto greener pastures. Sniff. He was about 3ft long. Australian Waterdragon for those wondering what we are on about.

15 hours ago, Mike and Claudia said:

Now WHERE DID my pet lizard go???

You have to realize that things are kinda strange "down under" where bruce t lives. It may be due to everything there being upside-down!  :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

No no no Kirk. No-one up north has ever been able to prove that north is up! Mind you I think Washington is often upside down!!

Back to the OP.

Laying talc on the ground and parking the tyres, ok tires, on the talc will help with many critters and bugs. Then using a good surface spray give your power cord and hoses a good coating. Try to do the same with the jacks if you can reach them. It's pointless trying to kill them once they are inside. You need to cut them off at the pass in the first place.

regards

On 6/23/2017 at 7:57 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Al

Hello Al

Yes, I use it both inside and outside.  But as someone else stated "I only use it at floor level" inside. 

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

12 hours ago, Five Wood said:

Hello Al

Yes, I use it both inside and outside.  But as someone else stated "I only use it at floor level" inside. 

Jim

I have some of the Ortho Home Defense. I give it a try and see what happens. The spiders need to do there work outside, not the inside of the trailer.

Al

I don't like the idea of using liquid insecticides.  There are "foggers" which are even worse.  They dispense an aerosol of insecticide that lands everywhere close to the fogger and can leave behind an oily residue of insecticide.

What really works and seems safest is Ortho Fumigator.  These are usually sold in a pack of 3.  Each cartridge also comes with a small plastic cup.  The cup is partially filled with water and the cartridge is placed in the cup.  About 1 minute later the fumigator will start to work.  Most RVs will only need one.  A large RV might need 2.  The fumigator will fill the RV with a hazy smoke of insecticide.  The smoke needs to work for several hours and then open the doors and windows and the smoke with clear out quickly.  No insects will survive this including spiders, ants, bed bugs, fleas.  Most of the insecticide is removed with the air although I would suspect some residue remains.  I would wipe down any cooking surfaces and countertops.  Before use you will need to remove any pets, plants, and turn off or remove any source of flame or electrical spark.  You should turn off or remove any smoke, propane or CO detectors. 

The most potent residual insecticide I know of is Spectracide Bug Stop. Wear a respirator when using, it is strong stuff, and performs as advertised. The company also makes a granulated form.

If I will be spraying this inside, I make plans for us to be absent for 4 hrs or more afterward. The hand sprayer may be controlled, so you don't contaminate your dishes, bedding, etc.

Archived