Activate Your ZTE Mobley

Anyone know the secret number to find someone that knows how to activate there Mobley? Ordered mine from ATT over the weekend. And got it this evening, and have been around the world. But every time I get a person on the line. Its always the same, Were sorry let us connect you with SO and so... And still have not gotten it activated. When I was ordering it online. Was chatting with a person online at ATT. And was told being I was ordering through them. And paying for the service up front. It would be ready to go when I got it. Just plug it and and go.

That person was so right. Plug it and and wait online. Tried to do it online, but get a error message. Telling me there having issues activating items online at this time.

Pete

event.png

Was it not activated and ready to go out of the box?  Especially if you got it from AT&T.  

But if it is not activated, call Connected Car, division of AT&T at 866-595-1222.  9 out of 10 that answer the phone know about the $20 unlimited plan.

I activated mine by going to a corporate AT&T store and called Connected Car at the store.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I also received my Mobley from ATT yesterday and attempted to activate on-line.  Everything appeared to work fine and then at the end got an email saying "Your order requires further review by an AT&T representative.  You will receive an email from us shortly, during normal business hours, with further details once the review is complete."  I wonder what's going on with this and how long is "shortly"?  I have never had a problem of any kind with AT&T and my credit score hovers around 830.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

Was it not activated and ready to go out of the box?  Especially if you got it from AT&T.  

But if it is not activated, call Connected Car, division of AT&T at 866-595-1222.  9 out of 10 that answer the phone know about the $20 unlimited plan.

I activated mine by going to a corporate AT&T store and called Connected Car at the store.  

I thought it would have been activated and ready also. But the power light comes on, and the signal light shows no activity at all.

Tanks for the number, calling it now.

Pete

event.png

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

Got off the phone with the lady. I have to drive to a different state. That or 56 miles north of me to a Corporate Store. Then the can change the pass Code.

Unreal they have the info, But being I don't have a phone with AT&T. They can't do it without me going to a store.  So off I go 42 miles to the store In a different state.

event.png

58 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:

Got off the phone with the lady. I have to drive to a different state. That or 56 miles north of me to a Corporate Store. Then the can change the pass Code.

Unreal they have the info, But being I don't have a phone with AT&T. They can't do it without me going to a store.  So off I go 42 miles to the store In a different state.

The store will more then likely know NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING about the $20 unlimited plan.  You will more then likely have to call them from the store so they can walk the associate through some or all of the steps.

Good luck as it can be frustrating process. Not like it is rocket science activating a hot spot.

5 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

I also received my Mobley from ATT yesterday and attempted to activate on-line.  Everything appeared to work fine and then at the end got an email saying "Your order requires further review by an AT&T representative.  You will receive an email from us shortly, during normal business hours, with further details once the review is complete."  I wonder what's going on with this and how long is "shortly"?  I have never had a problem of any kind with AT&T and my credit score hovers around 830.

It could be about confirming your identity.  When I activated mine they had to see my drivers license. With so much fraud happening in today's world, they are just trying to protect themselves. My take on the  situation.

15 hours ago, rynosback said:

3 hours later its working. Guy at the store has to reload everything. Then give me a new number that goes with it. Then after all that $45. to activate it and its working. No where did it show $45. to Activate the device. No big deal on the price. But would like to have known ahead of time. Some people that may be a deal breaker when you add the Extra $45. to the cost.

Still not lightening fast speeds. But sure beats my Centurytel 1.5 MB DSL service. Speeds shows around 6 MB I can live with that. Sad part is the tower is 1.9 miles from me. so guess its a slow speed tower. Or the settings on the unit needs changed.

Pete

event.png

27 minutes ago, Pete Kildow said:
16 hours ago, rynosback said:

3 hours later its working. Guy at the store has to reload everything. Then give me a new number that goes with it. Then after all that $45. to activate it and its working. No where did it show $45. to Activate the device. No big deal on the price. But would like to have known ahead of time. Some people that may be a deal breaker when you add the Extra $45. to the cost.

Still not lightening fast speeds. But sure beats my Centurytel 1.5 MB DSL service. Speeds shows around 6 MB I can live with that. Sad part is the tower is 1.9 miles from me. so guess its a slow speed tower. Or the settings on the unit needs changed.

Pete

Our tower is a mile away . It does seem to make a difference EXACTLY where you put the device . The clearer the line between the tower and device , the better the signal / transmission . And , tower congestion comes into play ... 

Goes around , comes around .

30 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Our tower is a mile away . It does seem to make a difference EXACTLY where you put the device . The clearer the line between the tower and device , the better the signal / transmission . And , tower congestion comes into play ... 

Thanks and I bet with school out. Its going to be slower also. Same as my DLS speed. When schools in class. I do good,but let them get out in the evening. And I drop down where watching a Youtube video is not going to happen. But our tower is in the middle of nowhere. And I live past that, where we have a well pump. to pump our city water. Without the pump, our shower just does not work.

event.png

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

What signal strength do you show - mine averages ~ -112db  (-107 to -119)

We're currently set up about 4 miles from the nearest AT&T cell tower. Our Mobley is installed on a shelf above the passenger side front window of our coach. Our signal strength is averaging -97dB to -101dB, and I have our Max Amp RV booster turned off.

6396393476.png

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, DuffMan said:

What signal strength do you show - mine averages ~ -112db  (-107 to -119)

Mine so far is -102 to -108.  But every location will be different.  I test different places before I settle on a location.  I get the best results with the sticker facing out.

OK I activated mine today. At my house I was getting dial up speeds of .5mb/sec with two bars. I drove a mile and a half closer to I-20 and with four bars got 10.36Mbps download and 6.79Mbps upload speeds. I will test it later with 5 bars and then at our inherited property. If it can't handle video security views I wasted 120 bucks for my intended purpose. If I can get four bars there it will work fine. THen I will contact AT&T and disconnect it when we sell the house and report back whether they keep charging or I can actually turn the service on and off. IT will be worth it for streaming Pandora and other music and news sources. Pandora streamed fine at .5 Mbps when the speed was too slow for me for browsing. For folks with the Cell booster/amp from Gord it may be much faster. I was happy with 5 Mbps12 years ago, and now with 200Mbps at home 10 Mbps seems slooooooooow. But now I can stream music etc with no data limit worries.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Update:

If you order your Mobley from AT&T they send you the device already activated, all you do is plug it in and connect to it with your Phone/Tablet/computer's WiFi settings.

Don't throw away the ZTE box inside or the AT&T invoice because your new device phone number is on the invoice, and your device's IMEI number and the ICCID number are both on one side of the inner box it arrived in.

I realized it wasn't clear how to activate the device for me and others. I ordered mine from AT&T and it came activated because I just plugged it in and it had two steady green LED indicators meaning powered and connected.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who wants one to order it directly from AT&T. The AT&T lady I spoke with had another mobile hot spot device from them and it mates to one vehicle VIN so cannot be moved from car to car or RV with a Power supply. Only the ZTE can be used in any vehicle you move it to, as far as I know.

Now to assemble a cheap 12 VDC power supply using a junkyard OBD vehicle port. I have several 12 volt wall warts one of which should work.

If anyone has an AT&T phone for data, this will do as well speed-wise but save you a bunch on data usage.

I also logged into the AT&T Wi-Fi device manager while connected to the hotspot. The Quick Start Pamphlet has the address http://attwifimanager

I was tickled that it has a guest Wi-Fi feature and the Wi-Fi manager also allows me to block a number from accessing it. You can even set up a guest hotspot! That site is also where you change the default user name and password. I am naming mine the same as my home network just adding mobile to the end, and using the same password but all lower case.

The device once you use the manager is pretty simple to use. I also had to call three times to get a tech that knew what they were doing. But all of them assumed you needed to activate it and that can mess you up.

Just order yours from AT&T and your account, new device phone number, and basic setup are all done for you from AT&T. The SIM card was already installed. It is under a rubber flap on the back of the Mobley.

EZPZ. Now if only Verizon offered the same thing. Verizon also has only two bars here but much faster and clearer than any of the other carriers. Sprint here is no signal, T-Mobile none, etc.

Were I on the road this would likely work as we used main roads and parked near destinations or next to the highways for the traveling overnights. We did not work camp or snowbird just traveled in the North for summers and the South for winters and stayed from Thanksgiving through mid March here on our property with our old RV pad with full hookups we built.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We ordered ours thru a Corporate store.  It was shipped to the store and we picked it up.  The employees at the store activated it before we left the store with it.  Another advantage vs online.  The online order indicated it would be almost 3 weeks before it was shipped.  Ordering thru the store it was there 2 days later instead of the long wait indicated online.  Retail stores cannot help , most do not know what the ZTE Mobley is.  The device is not even on their listing of equipment that can be ordered.  If you try a store, make sure it is a corporate store.

Pat DeJong

How quick you get the Mobley when ordering online appears to be a function of the current stock level. Back in March, I ordered mine on a Friday and it arrived the following Monday. The only problem was that they would only ship it to my upstate NY billing address at my mail forwarders. That added a couple of more days to get it to me in Florida where we were at the time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I get a stronger cell signal using the adapter than with the Mobely plugged into the car.  I think this is because the Mobely is not close to a lot of wiring and is also higher up with the adapter.

Verizon makes something similar, the Hum x (https://www.verizonwireless.com/connected-devices/verizon-hum-x/ ), but it also ties itself to the vehicle and is monitoring the engine, etc, so it can't be taken out of the car and used with a power adapter.   It would not surprise me if the next version from AT&T worked the same way, tied to the engine diagnostics and unable to be used with a power adapter.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

It would not surprise me if the next version from AT&T worked the same way, tied to the engine diagnostics and unable to be used with a power adapter.

Good point - maybe it's time to buy and put away a spare while these originals are still available.

I am going to test the device in the next day or two. My experience today trying to create my account was a bust, the AT&T customer service folks were all Spanish with rapid fire speed and heavy accents which I could not understand and asking them to slow down did not help. My Grandparents were from Colombia so I am accustomed to the accents, just not at machine gun speeds. The account set up screens had bad info which when followed resulted in a failure to accept something at each step. Then, after checking the billing page box for saving the payment for later it charged immediately.

So I dealt with chat and they asked me to speak to customer loyalty and I asked them to please have them call me. AT&T apparently can connect them in chat but not by phone. I asked for the connected car division direct line phone number and they had no clue. This has been a CF of the first magnitude.

All I can say is boy am I glad my phones are with Verizon because I have never had any of the issues with them that I had today with AT&T. I have 8 more days to return it for a complete refund. I then spoke to a Customer loyalty person who was talking on his phone instead of listening to me. I accepted the fact that I would need to deal with some AT&T folks not knowing about the Mobley system.  But not the minor glitches unresolved and snowballing with each new call.

One thing I clarified is that if I stop it and then reactivate it after 59 days then I will be charged an activation fee. I bought it after being told I can stop and start it as needed with no reactivation fee. That is not the case. So you either pay $22.68 ($20 plus taxes here, your taxes may vary) a month, or pay a $20.00 reactivation fee and they issue a new number which will likely cause all the grief I had today all over again. If it gets only dial up speeds out at the property I will know in the next few days when I get out there to meet the remodeling company.

I'd just rather get my full refund after the wringer they put me through today. They are in for a shock when they review the tapes of the customer loyalty call as they said they were doing. I have about 7 days left for a full refund.

I was impressed by the one day delivery, and then with their video bill they sent. Actually, physically setting it up involved just plugging it in and letting my phone pair and connect to it. The failures began in trying to set up passwords and the Pin which AT&T calls a passcode. Then the payment hold, the 180 degree turnaround on activation fees, the erroneous password instructions on setup, the accents over three of the calls being difficult to understand, the customer loyalty person who sounded like they were talking on another private call while pretending to listen, have turned me off. If I were fulltiming I'd chalk it up to today's biz methods. I'm not and I will try it out at the property. For me, having the device as a toy was fine but when the toy creates more aggravation than fun it is time to get rid of it.

Of four hours online I got a knowledgeable American only with the direct line to connected car @ 566-595-1222, and at the end with an American customer service rep I called to make sure I could get a prepaid label within 14 days of receipt. The three other customer service reps, the chat people, and the customer loyalty folks were all incomprehensible, inexperienced for their job, or both, and in the case of the customer loyalty guy, rude to boot.

I am more amazed than angry. I am sooooo glad Verizon has the better coverage here. Otherwise I may have had to deal with AT&T for more than a toy I hoped to play with.

Now if only one of the new LEO Internet services would start soon so I could ditch my really lousy cable company too. Streaming with Amazon, Netflix, Sling TV, and using a rooftop antenna for local HD TV. I'm ok with hassles I have to go through and am usually patient, but today was an AT&T CF of the first magnitude.

So I am most likely going to return it unless by some miracle AT&T has put in more towers in that area because they were really bad years back. Then it will be for sale as the less I have to deal with AT&T the better.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Derek, the Mobley cottage industry is alive and well.

Here's an adapter to take the (2) MS156 antenna jacks on the Mobley circuit board to a female SMA - use whatever external SMA antenna you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-SMA-female-to-Y-type-2x-MS156-male-Splitter-Combiner-cable-pigtail-RG174-6-/232297788330

Or how about a complete external antenna already fitted with the MS156 plugs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281332674772?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I haven't tried either of these as my Mobley is working fine in it's stock configuration.

One thing you could try is temporarily fasten the Mobley to a window, like you'd do with an external antenna and see if that makes a difference.

34 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

Derek, the Mobley cottage industry is alive and well.

Here's an adapter to take the (2) MS156 antenna jacks on the Mobley circuit board to a female SMA - use whatever external SMA antenna you want:

Have you tried to open the Mobly to access that connector on the circuit board?  I tried but the case didn't separate easily and hesitated to force it given how scarce replacements are at present.

Archived