Necessary Tools to Carry

phillyg

Suggest you throw a piece of pipe in your tool compartment.  The truck broke down and I had to have the FW towed.  I have a slider hitch so have a capture plate attached to the Morryde pinbox, and the tow operator required me to remove the plate.  I had a rachet and the correct sized socket, but it takes a breaker bar to get the four bolts off.  In fact, I needed a piece of 3' pipe to put over the rachet to get them started.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the breaker bar. Had another RV'er mention he could not torque his motorhome lug nuts since they required 450 ft/lbs. A 4 1/2 foot pipe and a 100Lb of force would have taken care of that. A pipe would be easy to store up under the frame somewhere.

Greg

• 1 month later...
On July 3, 2017 at 11:48 PM, gjhunter01 said:

I second the breaker bar. Had another RV'er mention he could not torque his motorhome lug nuts since they required 450 ft/lbs. A 4 1/2 foot pipe and a 100Lb of force would have taken care of that. A pipe would be easy to store up under the frame somewhere.

Greg

The rear duals need a long extension. To torque the wheels by leaning on a long wrench will  need some support at the point where the lever arm meets the extension.  This is easily done by using both hands when torquing a car wheel at 80 foot pounds. The 450 to 500 called out in the owners manual for my Oshkosh chassis is going to require a jackstand or the like.

Wher does one get a torque wrench five feet long?

Can you use a massive impact wrench and a torque stick?

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

Nobody mentioned good fluke 325 ac/dc volt and amp meter, wire crimper stripper, wire ends, socket sets, larger channel lock pliers and last a large vise-grip. As a ex snap on man I could go on but you can never have too many tools. Make sure you have socket and the right extension for the lug nuts.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

2 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

You don't always need a torque wrench, with a 4' bar and estimate a 100 lb force and you should be close to 400 ft/lbs. The main thing is to get all the nuts tightened with even force which can be done by feel.

Greg

Word of warning is torque wrenches are   usually not supposed to be used to loosen, just tighten only

2017 New Horizons SOLD

8 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

Word of warning is torque wrenches are   usually not supposed to be used to loosen, just tighten only

Every torque wrench I've seen has either a reversible ratchet  or a calibrated scale in both directions.  How can it be harmed as long as you don't exceed it's maximum rating while loosening the nut?

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Every torque wrench I've seen has either a reversible ratchet  or a calibrated scale in both directions.  How can it be harmed as long as you don't exceed it's maximum rating while loosening the nut?

Not to argue but the wrench listed above at tooltopia  resembles a CDI torque wrench. If you go to their operators manual under warnings it states DO NOT use to loosen fasteners or exceed the limit range. Yes old beam torque wrenches have scales both ways. Lets say you torqued the fastener to 500 ft lb so what does it take to break fastener loose after several years. This might exceed the 600 ft lb limit.

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Dan, you are correct about a split beam torque wrench, a clicker type can go in both directions. As far as the other tools, if your truck has air suspension, have spare fittings and airlines, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, bit sockets, socket set with ratchets in the size required for your rig, jacks, jack stands, several good hammers up to at least a 2 pounder, pry bars, good cutters and crimpers as well as wire connectors and wire in several sizes.

Add to that, depending on the truck and your needs, drills, impact wrench either air or battery, drill bits, a tap and die set, and all fluids with spare filters (fuel, oil and air).

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 8/21/2017 at 5:09 AM, Lou Schneider said:

My Snap-On torque wrench will only operate in a clockwise direction.   This is not a defective tool; this fact is pointed out in the instruction sheet.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, gjhunter01 said:

You don't always need a torque wrench, with a 4' bar and estimate a 100 lb force and you should be close to 400 ft/lbs. The main thing is to get all the nuts tightened with even force which can be done by feel.

Greg

Oh yeah, sure. You may be able to do that, not me. Torque wrench takes up no room. If you can do it just as good by feel, I'm getting the impression you have done this a lot.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

7 hours ago, tdst51 said:

Oh yeah, sure. You may be able to do that, not me. Torque wrench takes up no room. If you can do it just as good by feel, I'm getting the impression you have done this a lot.

I carry a torque wench for critical engine bolts, but don't use it for lug nuts. Lug nut torque is not an exact science like tightening headbolts. The key is to get them all even torque, if you do enough lug nuts you should get a good feel for the effort required, I do follow up after a 1000 miles to recheck the nuts. If you use a torque wench for a big truck, how do you get 450 ft/lbs with out using a cheater bar. If you are not confident in the lug torque, at least you can then drive to a shop and have the torque re-checked.

Greg

Greg, I always use a torque wrench on lug nuts and have for over 45 years. Dad had two jokers that didn't working for him. One under tightened and a customer lost a wheel, the other idiot over tightened and cracked three lugs that didn't show until a week later. Luckily enough, the wheel didn't come off on that one.

Even on the KW, I use a torque wrench and they are more important than before with aluminum wheels. The 3/4 drive torque wrench on the big truck is 4'-6" long and goes to 600 ft-lbs. It does not need a cheater bar.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 1 month later...

I had a torque multiplier (about $400) I used with a torque wrench when we had a Bluebird.  It was very handy and did a good job.  Now I use a torque wrench and 36" cheater bar on our DRV.  As a professional pilot and licensed A&P aircraft technician I use a torque wrench and the proper torque on all fasteners.  Failure to follow good maintenance practices will eventually bite you and leave you stranded with a large repair bill in usually the worst place possible. 

I also carry a good tool box, hot dog style air compressor, small nail gun and staple gun, plumbing repair stuff, electrical repair stuff, grease gun, Fluke digital electrical meter, Roll of 4" roof tape, tube of sealant and some other odds and ends including a 20' -3/8" chain in the truck tool box with flares and flash lights and a Honda 3000 generator. And it seems I never have the right thing!!! Go figure.

Roger and Barbara

On the pale blue planet, retired and happy.

2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3

2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW

Archived