Cabinets Locks

Chalkie

I thought I would throw this out here. I did a search and did not find anything posted already, if it has been I hope this is somewhat different. 

We have had a problem in the past with our cabinet doors coming open while we are traveling. Fortunately there was only one instance where there was any damage. Our solution was to wrap a loop of Velcro around the door handles. It is not an elegant solution and it is somewhat of a pain to keep track of the pieces of Velcro when we are stopped. 

My son has a toddler and he kid proofed all the kitchen cabinets and I got to looking at what he installed and a light went on. Those would be great for the RV! When they are locked they can be unlocked with a magnetic "key" and when you want them to stay unlocked it is a simple flick of a switch to keep them unlocked. So I have been installing them in the RV and thought I would share for others that have the same problem. I will say that these are easy to install as they have a 3M tape backing and I can tell you that they will stay closed even with the persistent tugging of a determined toddler.

https://www.amazon.com/Locks-Keys-Magnetic-Proof-Safety/dp/B06XQCVKJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497913837&sr=8-1&keywords=16+Locks+%2B+4+Keys+Magnetic+Baby+Proof+Safety+Locks+Set+- 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

13 hours ago, Chalkie said:

kid proofed all the kitchen cabinets

That does seem like a good solution to an old problem. Have you done it yet, and if so how has it worked out? I'm thinking that there might even be a way to lock the released position once stopped with just a little bit of innovation. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

Have you done it yet, and if so how has it worked out? I'm thinking that there might even be a way to lock the released position once stopped with just a little bit of innovation. 

I am in the process of installing them now and won't how effective they are until we hit the road the next time, but I suspect they will work well. I may not have been perfectly clear in my description, but when stopped there is a little lever on the locks that will keep them in the unlocked position. You unlock them with the "key", open the cabinet, flip the lever and then they remain unlocked. 

My challenge will be to remember to go around and return them to the locked position before traveling again. :unsure:

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived