Water-tank storage management

Qwimby1

My motorhome will be stored for a month or two at a time in very hot Florida.  I would like to have full tanks so I can leave in a hurry, but wonder about the wisdom of storing water in hot weather.  Of course this will be used only for bathing and certainly not for drinking.  Some advise that water which you only use for bathing and non potable things will be all right if properly chlorinated.  I'm not sure about that.  Whenever I got a new rig in the past,,. I would super chlorinate the tank, drive it around a little bit to mix, drop all that water and refill with the proper amount of chlorine.

MY hot tub, which stays above 102, is treated with Bromine and it's OK to get in it.  I'd be interested in the thoughts of others on this.

How to disinfect drinking water also has the concentration of chlorine(5 ppm) for storage.

FWIW, long ago I was assigned to a team of workers dismantling cold war era bomb shelters on a college campus. The chemist tested the barrels of drinking water before we dumped the water in the sewer. Every barrel of water tested safe for drinking.

I use the powdered chlorine formula, it's much easier to carry a small water-tight bottle in the RV than liquid bleach; just follow the extra precautions on the original container of Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived