Truck stops

Qwimby1

I posted this in the boondocking section first, but it appears it's more appropriate on this forum.   For six years, ending in 2005, I roamed the country staying almost exclusively in flying J's overnight.  I never had a problem and was never turned away.  I don't know if it's still the case. Can anyone advise?  Are Flying Js and other truck stops such as TA and Pilot still open to RV ONP? 

I've read a little bit about potential problems at truck stops now, which  didn't exist before.  One thing I read is the truckers now resent RVs because new driving rules requiring rest periods make the truck stops more congested.  At the time most flying Js had  RV parking in front and truck parking in the rear.  Since my rig with trailer was 64 feet overall, I always parked in the rear with trucks.  I also found rear areas to be quieter.  There would often be parties and a lot of traffic out front, while the guys in back were just interested in sleeping.  If you don't mind the sound of the refrigerators running it wasn't a big deal..

We have spent nights at trucks stops if we are off of the road early. They fill up fast and are often full by 6:00 PM. We have never had a problem staying in one but then again, our tow vehicle is a Kenworth T680 so we fit in a little better than some. 

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We typically overnight near one, while making miles, but we try to leave the actual lot spaces to the professional drivers. It's usually quieter a bit further out, the exercise makes the morning coffee taste that much better, and gives the dog more room for business.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 1 month later...

You can stop at truck stops, but yes you may get some angry looks.  The issue is normally with RV'rs that open slides and take up two or more spaces.  Yes truck drivers are now required by law to have 10 hours consecutive off (normally in a sleeper) after being on-duty for 14 hours, or after driving for 11 hours.  This is why most truck stops start filling up around the time the sun goes down.  The other issue is many companies (not all) but many have what is known as "Sitting Duck Policy"  This does not allow them to park on off-ramps, or sides of roads where they can be hijacked, or in an accident etc.  They are forced to find a truck stop.  While truck stops cater to professional drivers, many years ago they realized they were missing a lot of business.  So they renamed their businesses to Travel Centers and tried to pull in autos that pass by.  But truckers are their bread & butter.  They are not the best place for RV's to stay the night due to most truckers will idle, or high idle their engines to keep warm, or cool.  So there is a lot of noise with the sound of 100 or more trucks with engines running.

I've been on both sides, I am a professional truck driver, and I own a Diesel pusher RV.  I don't generally get upset with RV's that take a space, as long as they don't have slides open and take up more than one space.  Or I've seen RV's that can't back up and park over lines.  If you stay at a truck stop, I would just advise to be respectful, and keep your slides in, you should be OK.

• 7 months later...

I just came to this part of the forum I am usually over on the HDT hanging out on the dark side talking about my Volvo 780 and getting it set up to pull for me.

As far as truck stops go if you are ever in Hysperia California and looking for a place to pull off and stay for the night, the Pilot there is friendly to both truckers and people pulling trailers, as long as it is not a busy Sunday. Semi Drivers get first priority plus, be willing to park out in the back of the parking lot and not taking up prime spaces closer to the front of the Truck lot.

The Outpost Cafe is next door to the Pilot gas station in the same lot as trucks park. This is an excellent little place to eat. It has that Mom and Pop feel. I heard they even give out a free meal to truckers on Thanks Giving and Christmas that are on the road without their families, that is pretty awesome! My food is always Hot when it comes to the table, not just warm but hot.

We use the showers at the Pilot station. 12.50 clean and good service and that is for me and my wife at the same time in the same shower room. The first time I was there I asked the attendant what the procedure was how I got a shower room for each of us, he just looked at me and said you can both shower in there at the same time, he winked and gave me a thumbs up. In this day and age of political correctness you have to appreciate those that still have a since of humor. So I have nothing but good to say about this truck stop, and at the end of the day to stay and park for free, you can't beat it. I think they even have a dumping service too, but you might call and check that. Since we were only 100 yards from everything we needed we were not worried about dump services or water.

Later,

Vegas Teacher 

Whenever I pull into a truck stop or rest area and need to park with the "big guys", I look for empty slots that are the least accessible for them, yet still doable for me. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Flying J has spots in front from the trucks but now the bobtail rigs are parking in the RV spots. Last fall going to Denver 3 Flying J 's  had Bobtail rigs parked in most RV spots. As I was fueling 4 RV pulled in and left. I went down the road a few miles and went to a Walmart  and there where 9 trucks in there also. Went in and asked. Told it was fine for the night so we went shopping there. 

Not to change subject, but on this two month trip I’m on, I’ve only had limited luck finding room for my 20’ trailer and PU in a FlyingJ. A couple times, their latest list of truck stops offering RV parking (2016 edition) is inaccurate. 

Ive been staying in regular rest areas without any issues. Lastnight I was in the best I’ve ever stayed in. Amarillo TX info center off RT40 exit 76. Special area for RV with wide parking spots for slides. Very easy in and out. But not over 13’ high. In that case yo7 need to go to the ajo8ningbtruck area. Also very nice.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have not been overnighting at truck stops for about 4 years. Just because the truckers have to have a spot to park. We don't need to stop and park. With the electronic logging now in use the truckers need is more critical as there is no leeway for traffic or weather problems. Rest areas, Walmart, Cabelas etc or a quick overnight for sleeping. 

We really try not to be in the A to B drive mode anymore. We can do that mode but it is no fun.  

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

• 1 year later...

I stay in truck stop RV section if possible with a small rig today. Seem like a lot of Flying J RV parking lose to Bob tail truck parking. 10 to 15 years ago, Flying J was better for RV parking in that regard. 

Truck stop can be noisy and tight spaces but felt more secure than some Walmart in a off beat neighborhood. 

Edited by Padraic

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

Yes, I know this is a very old thread, but I think relevant information should be posted. Now major truck stops have reserved parking spots, simply because they are full much of the time.

For that reason I do not park in truckers parking lots now. It is dangerous for truckers to be limited to parking/sleeping alongside interstate on/off ramps, but due to the ELD system they have no choice when it tells them to stop driving.

An aside, if you are near Ft. Myers Fl, there is a Lee County rest area at the NE corner of the intersection of I 75 and Daniels parkway(exit 131) with 3 large separate parking areas for autos, trucks, and RV's. A FL highway patrol office is there too.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

i have not seen any truck stops that turn away any rv, but please let the pros use the truck parking areas as they are required by LAW to stop, you are not.

please use the rv areas, and yes some bobtail drivers do park in the rv section, only because there area is full. but some are jerks.

i am just a local driver, and just trying to find any place to stop for my required by law lunch can be a problem and not at truck stops. but rest stops, side of some roads (city's have banned trucks for stopping for any reason). and my company has told us to not stop at truck stops, freeway on/off ramps, but to park on a quiet (as in little to no traffic) side street some place. and yes we are gps tracked. as well as in cab video and sound watched.

• 1 year later...

I am also a part time otr driver. When I have an hour left on my clock and the truck stops have rv,s in the teuck spaces it is stressful We have to stop by law . I understand thete is no rule for idling rv parking bit it shows a lack of respect for hard working drivers. 

4 hours ago, Bobbyb said:

I am also a part time otr driver. When I have an hour left on my clock and the truck stops have rv,s in the teuck spaces it is stressful We have to stop by law . I understand thete is no rule for idling rv parking bit it shows a lack of respect for hard working drivers. 

I totally agree!  I've been known to park in vacant church parking lots when I needed to rest for a few hours rather than  take  up space OTR drivers need.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961