Flying Js and other truck stops

Qwimby1

On 1/4/2018 at 6:41 AM, rfsod48 said:

DuffMan, no flame intended but I expect I may receive some. I agree that we all will do what we deem best, opinions are like BigJim said just opinions. In my book staying at a Walmart or truck stop for anything other than an emergency is something I would not do. 

Welcome to the gang!! And yes, it is not the 'norm' for us either. 

That being said, if we're going from point A to point B, and it requires a night or two along the way. I consider if 'on the road Boon Docking'. It's not about the money, as much as it is about the convince of where we're going, and getting in/out of a location quickly to get to 'point B'. If a convent RV park is also available, and we expect to be off the road by say 5:00-6:00PM - we'll pull into an RV park too... 

And OK if you don't feel it's appropriate for you, as it leaves more space for those who may want too... No skin off my back, and likewise 'no worries' on your thoughts:)!

Welcome again, travel safe,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, Ray,IN said:

PFJ and other truck stops are so busy they have established a reservation system for parking spaces. A driver calls ahead and reserves a parking space for a mandatory rest.

I asked my OTR driving daughter about this. She said usually only a few spots in a lot are reservable. But new laws require electronic logs in all trucks owned by some pretty small companies (I think she said 5 or 6 trucks.) That means there will be less fudging of times. She hates when she has to stop with an hour of time left because the next truck stop is 70 minutes away. So we will likely see more truck parked along freeway ramps, etc., and more demand for the truck stop spots along popular routes as people have to know in advance where they can stop before their time runs out.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2017 at 10:33 PM, Qwimby1 said:

One very bothersome item is that Florida now prohibits overnight parking in interstate rest stops.  Stays are limited to 3 hours.   I don't know how stringently that's enforced.  In the old days I spent many nights in those rest stops.  very convenient.  I never cared for Wal Marts very much because they were noisy and I just didn't feel comfortable.  I spent many a night off in a corner of a mall.

This used to happen in NY but more and more times I have seen campers overnite in the rest areas.  Unfortunately, I have also seen them set up folding chairs in front of their rigs. I know they are there all night because I pass the rest stop(opposite side) on my way home and stop at that rest stop on my way to work the next morning and they're still there.

David

23 minutes ago, Dmitche4 said:

This used to happen in NY but more and more times I have seen campers overnite in the rest areas.  Unfortunately, I have also seen them set up folding chairs in front of their rigs. I know they are there all night because I pass the rest stop(opposite side) on my way home and stop at that rest stop on my way to work the next morning and they're still there.

David

When questioning the LEO's we've met in Wyoming rest areas and Fla security folks where it states no more than 3 hrs or "No Overnight Camping", we've been informed that Yes many RVers do spend more than the 3 hrs and/or stay O/N for several hours, but they have put those signs up to give them authority to remove those that set up a more permanent day after day/week after week set up.   They've all said absolutely the implications of forcing a genuinely tired driver to continue is not their mandates.

Since being told this on numerous occasions we often stop in "rest areas", where it states No Overnight Camping, and "if" someone in authority pulls in or is visible, we ask and have yet to be told move on.   Just saying, based on our experiences, but equally not sure how this would be perceived say somewhere overlooking something like the Oregon/California coast maybe????   Albeit we've stayed in many pull ins in years gone by on the Coast Hwy south from Carmel/Monterey where wide enough without any hassle.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, rfsod48 said:

You see it as weakness to pay for a campsite! I find camping at a truck stop/Walmart as a sign of a cheapa**. If you can’t afford to play stay home.  Flame suit on.

If we are heading across country and spending the night at a Walmart fits into our travel schedule, rather than trying to squeeze into some crappy CG for $45 a night, then we will pick the WM every time.  

We are full time and this rig has to be parked someplace 365 nights a year.  If you want to suit up and judge others then maybe you should list some details in your signature so we can better understand where you are coming from.  Are you full time or a weekend season 3 times a year type camper?  Are you just starting to shop for an RV, do you camp in a pop-up, or do did you just buy your 5th Provost?  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

If you don't mind the truck noise when you park near them, then Flying J or other trucks stops are ok for a night. I don't buy diesel from them. The are usually 30 to 40 cents more then other stations near by. Diesel at Flying J near me in SE Texas, $2.999, diesel at Walmart nearby @2.599 about 40 cents more. Even with the 8 cent discount the price is to high.

Archived