How off-kilter can the fridge be?

A RV mechanic told me if the rig is level enough for sleeping it is good enough for the fridge? True or false?

I don't get mine perfect level, but I try to get it half-ass level. I am only off-kilter a little, for a few days at most anyway.

Is one off level way worse than the other for the fridge? Like sideways unleveled or level from the front to rear of the rig?

I have been told that the newer units not knowing what year is considered newer have a better resistance to being off level. But I go for at least 1/2 bubble or better, WHEN IN USE 

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Both Dometic and Norcold say that as long as the RV is level enough for comfortable living and walking around, it's level enough.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Ed's got it about right. That's a quick and simple method that's right about on track. Half a bubble in.

The general rule is to stay within 3 degrees of level. That works out to approximately 1/2" per 3 feet if you choose to use the measure method. It may not sound like much, but for a long 40'er that could mean a 20" differential from front to rear.

That being said though... it really is best to try and stay on level whenever possible. Even slightly off will raise the operating temperature and over a period of time degrade your cooling unit. 

In a seminar put on by Dometic several years ago, it was stated that modern absorption refrigerators can be as much as 6° off of level from the front door to back of the refrigerator and as much as 3° off level side to side and have very little or no effect. Thus the choice for your RV depends on which way the refrigerator is mounted in the RV. For most people, if you level to the point that it doesn't bother your at all, your refrigerator will be happy. Most people will want the floor within 1° to 2° of level for comfort.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 6/19/2017 at 4:07 PM, Kirk Wood said:

In a seminar put on by Dometic several years ago, it was stated that modern absorption refrigerators can be as much as 6° off of level from the front door to back of the refrigerator and as much as 3° off level side to side and have very little or no effect. Thus the choice for your RV depends on which way the refrigerator is mounted in the RV. For most people, if you level to the point that it doesn't bother your at all, your refrigerator will be happy. Most people will want the floor within 1° to 2° of level for comfort.

Bingo! I was waiting for that, it's also in the service manual of both mfgrs. If one calculates those degrees into inches per foot of RV, it would be quite difficult to live that much out of level.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived