Onan 5500

This is a gasoline fired unit with less than 100 hrs.  On two occasions we have left home with the genny on and running the two A/C units.  With 90+ degree temps, I wanted to have a cool camper for my DW and I and the two dogs once we arrived at our campground.  On both occasions, the genset has shut down prior to our arrival at the CG.  When I check for faults, none are present as I believe the fault indicator may have timed out.  Today, I've had the generator running for about 5 hours with both A/C units running as I do work inside the camper.  It has continued to run without any miscues, just like it always does when we're stationary.  On both trips, I've filled the fuel tank so as not to loose prime with any fuel sloshing in the tank.  I'm without a good explanation for the shut downs.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Thanks.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Sounds like the overheat sensor might be bad. I had one that did that intermittently. It would run great then when the outside temp hit like 95 it would sense overheat and shut down.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

A possibility I suppose but today is just as hot as this past Friday, when it shut down.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

I thought that as well so after the first shut down I filled the crankcase to the upper limit.  ???

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Absent fault codes not being there I cant say why yours shut down, but I have observed at least three Onan's on extreme hot days running heavy AC load over a long period shut down for over temperature. Once things cooled down they worked fine again no problem. I have seen some gents on extreme hot days running the genny to power the AC have the genset door open I assumed to help cooling??? Two AC units operating at high temps drawing maybe 12 + amps each is a heavy load indeed.

John T 

14 hours ago, spindrift said:

I thought that as well so after the first shut down I filled the crankcase to the upper limit.  ???

This gives me second thoughts of what I was about to say. We had that same experience some years back and after speaking with an Onan tech I checked and found the oil level to be just a little bit high and lowered it to about mid range and the problem went away. The tech told me that if the oil level is at all high it can cause foaming when you travel but work fine sitting still. He indicated that the motion of travel causes the effect to happen only when traveling. If your oil level was midrange or less, that probably was not the cause. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived