Help Samsun S7 April 1 Update

SWharton

I just put on my Samsung S7 the April 1 Update and something is very wrong. It is very slow, can't find wifi at all, keeps rebooting.

I have tried to get to Settings to do a factory reset but Setting has changed totally and I can't find where to do the reset before it locks up or reboots..................

How can I get out of this mess????

Thanks. I'll try it. I guess I will skip this update. Do you know if this is a known problem?

OK, I tried that but can't find the alternate reset. I tried the UI in SAFE but that didn't work.

I googled looking for the alternate reset and didn't find it.

The factory reset is at Settings/Personal/Backup and Reset/Factory Data Reset

It's my understanding that doing a factory reset will remove everything from the phone but will NOT undo updates to the Android operating system.  In other words, it doesn't really restore the phone to the way it was when you got it.  But it's clearly what you should try to solve this problem.

As for this being a known problem, I doubt it is.  Both my wife and I have S7's and they are fully updated to the latest revisions (May 1, I believe) and they work fine.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

I just put on my Samsung S7 the April 1 Update and something is very wrong. It is very slow, can't find wifi at all, keeps rebooting.

Not all updates are created equally. Generally Samsung recommends the updates and provides them to your carrier who then decides to push them to you or not or push them in full or only partially. Have you actually checked with the Tech Support at your provider for assistance?

The latest update on my phone is for May 1st. 

52 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Boot in to safe mode. There is an alternate hard reset method (without using the UI), but this one worked for me.

This does not work for me either. Since this is in Nexus Help I suspect it is for Nexus phones.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Sounds like you got it handled. Yes.. the "alternate" was the button combo hard reset option. Getting into safe mode should be the same for all carriers since it's an OS/hardware feature.. not a carrier installed feature. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries and works best from "OFF" rather than "restart". Worked on both my sons S7 and my S7 Edge running nougat (7.0).

I don't keep up all that much about phones, but both of our phones recently did the update and have had no issues like yours. Dunno if what you're experiencing is common, but not for us.

12 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

...provides them to your carrier who then decides to push them to you or not

Hmmm. Ours didn't update via carrier. The phones hadn't been activated and didn't even have a sim in when the update came over wifi.

I don't now either. I will not being putting the update on without more research.

People keep referring the Operating Systems by name(Nougat,Ice Cream,Marshmallow). I don't see anything like that on my phone, just version number.  Where do the names come from and what is why use those instead of a number. confused??

8 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I don't see anything like that on my phone, just version number.  Where do the names come from and what is why use those instead of a number. confused??

Mine either : NO flippin idea : ME too!!  

19 minutes ago, SWharton said:

People keep referring the Operating Systems by name(Nougat,Ice Cream,Marshmallow). I don't see anything like that on my phone, just version number.  Where do the names come from and what is why use those instead of a number. confused??

Android phone versions do have numbers, but they also have amusing names and many people refer to them rather than the number.  All Android versions are named after "candies" of a sort.  So the 6.0 version which is still what is found on most phones is called Marshmallow and the 7.0 version (which you have on your S7) is called Nougat.

You can find the version you are running by going to Settings/About Phone/Android Version.

My S7 is running version 7.0 and the Android security path level (latest update) is May 1, 2017

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Status update: the May 1(I thought it was the April 1) update was not applied and is just sitting on my phone. I have no intentions of installing it at this point. I was going to try to install the update before any apps downloaded, I replied no when asked but the apps downloaded anyway.  I feel one of the apps doesn't want to play nice with the update. Research time for this.

I would like to thank all of you for your help in my panic this AM. As usual, Escapees come through.......

Archived