Trying to figure why?

Mark and Dale Bruss

But isn't it kind of strange that Sibernut hasn't posted anything? After all, wouldn't a post from him dispell all these "rumors"? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Big5er said:

But isn't it kind of strange that Sibernut hasn't posted anything? After all, wouldn't a post from him dispell all these "rumors"? 

He is in a status where each individual post has to have approval. And that is really all I know about it other than the reason he was zapped - which has been discussed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Some misinformation has been posted in this thread.

Let’s start with the crime. “And MUCH MORE IMPORTANT- does it smell like curry & have a hole in the floor?”.  The context, considering a truck for purchase. Things to look for in the inside as well as the outside.

Can smelling like curry be a consideration for reviewing a truck, yes.  I would not have thought so until I was working with the Maryland DMV about licensing a truck as an RV.  The living habits of some people in the trucking industry are amazing.

But to the uninformed, the reference to curry could be considered humorous.  But racist, boy, that is a stretch even for the uninformed.

And that brings us to the uninformed.  For casual readers of different forums within Escapees, it is quite possible to read something that is not in the reader’s life experiences.  But when it comes to the arbiters of content, the forum staff, we can expect an element of knowledge of the topic area in making the decision that whether some content is unacceptable should only be done in the aura of knowledge of the topic areas.

For some of the Escapees administrators, there is a pattern of previous knowledge in the format of previous posts. There is an average of 868 posts per the 16 staff.  That would seem to be a reasonable field of experience.  But, of the 10 administrators, 9 have less than 40 posts, and 4 have had no posts at all. Does the lack of posts indicate a lack of knowledge in an area, no, but it is an indicator.  The 6 Moderators have from 21 to 6,162 posts, a much better indicator of knowledge.

And then we are told that only an administrator has the power to ban a member from posting for life, the people with that power with the least apparent evaluation background.

Can an Escapees reader mistakenly read a statement and report it to the administrators?  Sure, that has happened to me.

I assume that the administrator applied the penalty didn’t just happen to read the thread but responded to a Report by someone else.  But I would expect the administrator to read the reported statement and read it in the context of the thread.  But then again, knowledge of the topic area may be necessary for proper analysis.

In this case, a single infraction was evaluated at 3 strikes, invoking permanent demand of moderated approved posts, by an administrator with no recorded posts at the time.

Actually, banned forever is a misstatement.  Instead, the member is marked for life to have all posts reviewed by a moderator.  That may now sound so bad as moderators seems to have evaluation background.  But will a requested post be validated and posted?  In the case where no moderator approval occurs, then this is a defacto ban.  You can play with the language all you want.

That is the circumstances with Sibernut.  One offense. three strikes, permanent need for moderator approval and no posts processed since.  The assurance “Thank you all for your input on this topic. Rest easy in knowing that no one related to this topic has been banned, or banned for life. Thanks,” was posted by the three-hit administrator who applied the permanent prohibition. Language, language, language.

The administrators have the ultimate power in this forum, nothing we can do about it.  The system is not working as described.  We all are at the risk of being misunderstood and being eliminated from posting on Escapees. 

But what happened to Sibernut was wrong and should be retracted.

Since the last message Sibernut wanted to post was inhibited, it was this:

"To those on the forum who have been an immense help and encouragement to me, my sincere thank you. To those who I have helped, it was the least I could do in return. I've been sacrificed on the altar of extreme political correctness after 13 years and 600+ posts, with no appeal at all. I will continue to watch the forum, maybe they will let a PM get thru to me if you so choose. Godspeed & safe travels to you all."

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

33 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Let’s start with the crime. “And MUCH MORE IMPORTANT- does it smell like curry & have a hole in the floor?”.  The context, considering a truck for purchase. Things to look for in the inside as well as the outside.

Can smelling like curry be a consideration for reviewing a truck, yes.  I would not have thought so until I was working with the Maryland DMV about licensing a truck as an RV.  The living habits of some people in the trucking industry are amazing.

But to the uninformed, the reference to curry could be considered humorous.  But racist, boy, that is a stretch even for the uninformed.

And that brings us to the uninformed.  For casual readers of different forums within Escapees, it is quite possible to read something that is not in the reader’s life experiences.  But when it comes to the arbiters of content, the forum staff, we can expect an element of knowledge of the topic area in making the decision that whether some content is unacceptable should only be done in the aura of knowledge of the topic areas.

For some of the Escapees administrators, there is a pattern of previous knowledge in the format of previous posts. There is an average of 868 posts per the 16 staff.  That would seem to be a reasonable field of experience.  But, of the 10 administrators, 9 have less than 40 posts, and 4 have had no posts at all. Does the lack of posts indicate a lack of knowledge in an area, no, but it is an indicator.  The 6 Moderators have from 21 to 6,162 posts, a much better indicator of knowledge.

And then we are told that only an administrator has the power to ban a member from posting for life, the people with that power with the least apparent evaluation background.

Can an Escapees reader mistakenly read a statement and report it to the administrators?  Sure, that has happened to me.

I assume that the administrator applied the penalty didn’t just happen to read the thread but responded to a Report by someone else.  But I would expect the administrator to read the reported statement and read it in the context of the thread.  But then again, knowledge of the topic area may be necessary for proper analysis.

In this case, a single infraction was evaluated at 3 strikes, invoking permanent demand of moderated approved posts, by an administrator with no recorded posts at the time.

Actually, banned forever is a misstatement.  Instead, the member is marked for life to have all posts reviewed by a moderator.  That may now sound so bad as moderators seems to have evaluation background.  But will a requested post be validated and posted?  In the case where no moderator approval occurs, then this is a defacto ban.  You can play with the language all you want.

That is the circumstances with Sibernut.  One offense. three strikes, permanent need for moderator approval and no posts processed since.  The assurance “Thank you all for your input on this topic. Rest easy in knowing that no one related to this topic has been banned, or banned for life. Thanks,” was posted by the three-hit administrator who applied the permanent prohibition. Language, language, language.

The administrators have the ultimate power in this forum, nothing we can do about it.  The system is not working as described.  We all are at the risk of being misunderstood and being eliminated from posting on Escapees. 

But what happened to Sibernut was wrong and should be retracted.

Since the last message Sibernut wanted to post was inhibited, it was this:

"To those on the forum who have been an immense help and encouragement to me, my sincere thank you. To those who I have helped, it was the least I could do in return. I've been sacrificed on the altar of extreme political correctness after 13 years and 600+ posts, with no appeal at all. I will continue to watch the forum, maybe they will let a PM get thru to me if you so choose. Godspeed & safe travels to you all."

Now you've gone and done it.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Howdy Dale,

Thanks for the information you have just posted, what you have said is true, its all a matter of playing with words but the end result is Sibernut has been effectively banned even if wasn't officially done.

OK, climbs onto the soap box and taps the mike........ This incident is about as blatant an example of political correctness gone CRAZY as one needs to see and its just plain WRONG.  That is why in my posts to this thread "I" used the words "assume", "assumption" and "stereotype" and also stated that most stereotypes DO have some basis in actual fact.  Again "I" am assuming that what Sibernut posted was in jest but in all honesty if a person was looking for a truck and came across one that had been lived in, cooked in for a  long time and did in fact smell of curry, garlic, stale beer, trash, pet waste, body odors or anything else that was objectionable would this not be a legitimate reason to pass on that particular truck and continue the search, as to it possibly having a hole in the floor HELL YEAH, I'd pass as I am sure would most others.

Another thing made clear in this thread, if someone has the power to affect ones life, being able to post on a forum is an affect, the person who has that power as Dale has stated should have a knowledge base that would allow making such a decision based on facts and NOT personal FEELINGS.

I am an old white guy, been around the block a few times, have had some life experiences that perhaps have given me a different take on a lot of things, I am not known to be overly sociable, am quite set in my ways but still go through my life attempting to do as little harm as possible and unless shown or given a reason not to give respect to every and anyone.  That said what I have posted in this thread may have offended those whose life experience is different then mine if that is true then there are a couple of ways to approach it, "we" can talk about it and try to learn from each other, or "we" can walk away, ignore, ban each other and in the end lose a chance to perhaps broaden our horizons a bit and become a better person for having given the other guy a chance.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 6/19/2017 at 8:06 AM, Jack Mayer said:

In general you get 3 points and you are banned.

When did this 3 points system begin?  If that is indeed the policy then I think it is a good one.  It has not always been that way, however.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

When did this 3 points system begin?  If that is indeed the policy then I think it is a good one.  It has not always been that way, however.

There has been a 3 strikes and you are out policy at least since 2010 when I joined this forum. The points don't seem to ever go away and are visible in the profile block. I have one showing from September 2012.

My understanding was always that the decisions of the Admins was final with no appeals. I am aware of only one other act of clemency where a long time member who got into a peeing contest with one of the other long term members was given a time out. This is the first I have heard of having posts reviewed by Admin and still being able to continue to participate. However, I did just note that in my profile along with the warning point, there is a note "No restrictions being applied".

10 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

There has been a 3 strikes and you are out policy at least since 2010 when I joined this forum. The points don't seem to ever go away and are visible in the profile block. I have one showing from September 2012.

My understanding was always that the decisions of the Admins was final with no appeals. I am aware of only one other act of clemency where a long time member who got into a peeing contest with one of the other long term members was given a time out. This is the first I have heard of having posts reviewed by Admin and still being able to continue to participate. However, I did just note that in my profile along with the warning point, there is a note "No restrictions being applied".

I know of one particular individual who was permanently banned two years ago based on a single post.  The post was blunt, but no racism, sexism, profanity or anything of that type.  He received an email advising of the ban with a link to the post and no other explanation.  There were no points, warnings, discussion, appeal or otherwise.  He was a long time contributor who had never received any points, warnings, or communication of any type from admin.

Like I said, I agree with the three strikes system, just know that it hasn't always been adhered to.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

9 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

He is in a status where each individual post has to have approval. And that is really all I know about it other than the reason he was zapped - which has been discussed.

Kinda makes it hard to respond to a thread, doesn't it? Posts sort of need to be timely. It's kind of like laughing out loud at a 10 minute old joke or coming up with the answer...after 5 others have already posted it and the thread has moved to a totally different question. In other words he might as well not bother to post because what he has to say will no longer be relevant by the time it gets approved and posted? 

And speaking of points, Jack why don't you inquire about why they never go away. I agree that they shouldn't be removed based on a post count because then you simply post BS posts over and over to get them removed but since they seem to be handed out in two's and you only get three and are gone, it would seem appropriate to me (and maybe some others) to drop them one at a time after say 2 and 4 years or 3 and 5 years?  Why leave someone on the edge with 2 points forever and ever? If you make it 3, 4 or 5 years after having been spanked, don't you think that maybe you have learned your lesson? Ask the moderators which one of them only got one spanking or was only grounded once while living at home. Points on your DL drop after time, your insurance will lower your rates after that accident gets older, even dad will forgive you, someday, for crashing his prize Chevy Nova hot-rod. 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I have been lurking and occasionally posting on the forum for a little over a year.  The knowledge and expertise is greatly appreciated from so many forum users.  I can see if taken out of context how this statement can come across.  However, within the context it is a very valid point.  Certain smells can take a long time, if ever, to get out like smoke, hence the reason most people are always after those non-smoking trucks.  A while ago, I was having a conversation outside the forum and the hole in the truck came up in conversation.  At that point, this was the first time I had ever heard of this behavior.  The mechanic involved with this truck refused to work on it after realizing the hole in the floor and the debris under the truck.  The truck was then immediately removed from the shop and never returned.

So from a person looking for a truck down the road, these are 2 valid items on my checklist prior to any purchase of a used truck.

Steven

4 minutes ago, HomeAutom8r said:

Certain smells can take a long time, if ever, to get out like smoke, hence the reason most people are always after those non-smoking trucks.  A while ago, I was having a conversation outside the forum and the hole in the truck came up in conversation.  At that point, this was the first time I had ever heard of this behavior.  The mechanic involved with this truck refused to work on it after realizing the hole in the floor and the debris under the truck.  The truck was then immediately removed from the shop and never returned.

So from a person looking for a truck down the road, these are 2 valid items on my checklist prior to any purchase of a used truck.

Have you ever noticed that some truck stop parking lots smell like urine all the time, except right after a rain? Don't think that plastic drink bottle laying on the ground is full of tea either.

I happen to enjoy some curry foods on occasion but the smell is strong, and some trucks smell...period. I don't want a stinky truck, no matter what the odor is. I am certainly glad I found a nice one when I was looking because you can only mask the smoking, cooking, garbage and body odors for so long. A nasty truck is a nasty truck and it doesn't matter what race or ethnic group, they all have nasty drivers, some are just worse than others. I apologize to all the the other races but you can't touch the orientals...cleanest damn trucks I have ever seen, you just can't find many of them driving in Texas. They all seem to be from California. Not being prejudice, just sharing the facts that I see through my working around trucks and truck drivers. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Since this thread has such a view and post count, i would like to take this opportunity to request that the Admins release Sibernut from his 'approval of each post' de facto ban.

i don't like trucks with outhouses in them either.

i don't like social justice warriors with holier and mightier than thou either. 

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Sigh...new to this forum, but on a few rock crawling/desert racing forums.  It seems the drama never ends.  From the outside looking in, I think the Sibernut guy intended some humor in his post, while at the same time pointing out a couple of potential issues to watch for (neither of which would have occurred to me).  I too think the punishment was excessive.  I've been a moderator/admin on other forums.  ZERO interest in ever doing that again.

While we're on the PC parade, I recently discovered/was advised that "Asian" is the proper word, THINGS are Oriental, PEOPLE are Asian.  Just throwing that one out there!

Ron "Sibernut" it is all our loss not having your HDT and life wisdom shared here. Ever since we met at an ECR HDT rally in PA you have shared plenty of tips with me. 

Even sent me custom home made arm rests for our truck! 

I know many an HDTr that has found parts through you at the  toy store near your location.  You searching and arranging the parts for them all with nothing for you.  

Everyone who knows you is well familiar with your edgey wit.  

Oh well be good Ron and keep the rubber side down.  ?

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

1 hour ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Gee whiz - I always thought those folks were "Ornamentals" - and an Asian was a automatic transmission available in Ram pickups!..:unsure:

If you wish some more (serious) terms for *people* - research the origins of the term "Redneck" - both in Europe and the US.

Being a "Redneck" in the US, had nothing to do with sunburn or working in the fields.- but everything to do with the (1914) Ludlow, Colorado massacre which resulted in 19 deaths inc'l 13 women and children hiding in tents (as edited/quoted from the CO House Joint Resolution on the 90th anniversary of "one of the bloodiest assaults on organized labor in American History - The miners wore a red bandana around their necks - now the bandana becomes our proud uniform, and every one of us is a Redneck".

(1920:) West Virginia coal mine wars and the Matewan massacre: (WVA Archives)

"Ten to twenty thousand miners, all wearing red bandanas -hence the term redneck- marched through Southern West Virginia".

Once you know the bloody history of the term, and the national attention it garnered due to Pres.Harding's use of federal troops (inc'l Gen Billy Mitchell & his 'Air Force')  -  Redneck *jokes* should certainly be considered racist - especially to the *real* Redneck's ancestors of CO & WVA.

Guess if ya don't know - it doesn't matter(?).

Back to trucks - and odors........for those who have been around here long enough, - the trials and tribulations (of odor removal) by those unfortunate to have purchased a truck from a heavy smoker are threads of legend....some resulting in complete removal of the entire interior of the cab/s after all else failed!

Something to avoid like the plague - once you realize the grief you have "inherited" with your new ride.

Whether in jest or serious - Sibernut's comment should have been taken as a "heads up" to the pitfalls that await an unsuspecting (or uninformed) buyer.

Nothing racist about it - it's the real world.

BTW - lavys in many parts of (what would be considered "modern") Asian countries, there are *no* Western ("sit on") style toilets!  Is advising a traveler (male or female) of same -  being racist - - or just telling it like it is?..

Just my 2 cents. I have watched this for a couple of days now and my question is why not just get another log on and change the name? Should not take very long. If it is an IP thing use another computer or go to library long enough to set up an account. It can be done and there are folks that know how to do it.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

4 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Just my 2 cents. I have watched this for a couple of days now and my question is why not just get another log on and change the name? Should not take very long. If it is an IP thing use another computer or go to library long enough to set up an account. It can be done and there are folks that know how to do it.

It's the principle of the matter . Not so much the who ...

Goes around , comes around .

2 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

It's the principle of the matter . Not so much the who ...

I understand that but if you don't want the post approval get a new log on.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

4 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

You're still trying to sneak in the back door . 

Merely providing solutions. :D I'm just a problem solver.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I can't believe a suggestion like this would be posted as a working bypass of a means of controlling the masses. Anarchy is the next step. Anarchy, I tell you. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived