Trying to figure why?

Mark and Dale Bruss

A major contributor to the HDT forum has been banned for life.  The question is how does a newbie who has only been a Escapee member since Dec 13, 2016 get to be a Forum Administrator and ban someone for life without a repeal process.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

A major contributor to the HDT forum has been banned for life.  The question is how does a newbie who has only been a Escapee member since Dec 13, 2016 get to be a Forum Administrator and ban someone for life without a repeal process.

Who got banned?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

43 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Watch it Dale, or you'll be banned too.

Yes, I am worried

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Didn't another prolific member get banned, and somehow negated the effects?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

He is still listed as a validated member. His last post did raise some eyebrows. I don't pretend to know what the procedure is. Banning for life seems to be a bit extreme, there would be other avenues to remedy whatever seemed to considered inappropriate. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Validated member who cannot post anything, including a goodbye message.

I guess we could review the content of the Administrator to get a feel for his viewpoint.  But alas, it appears that this newbie's only contribution to the Forum is to get someone banned.

I sure am glad that we are being protected from ourselves by someone who doesn't contribute.

But be advised that humor is a sensitive issue for people without a funny bone.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

I sure am glad that we are being protected from ourselves by someone who doesn't contribute.

Am I missing something? Banned for life over the curry remark??? 

That's utterly ubsurd!!!

How many votes does it take to fire an Admin?

2 hours ago, Yarome said:

Am I missing something? Banned for life over the curry remark??? 

That's utterly ubsurd!!!

How many votes does it take to fire an Admin?

We didn't elect him, so I am not sure if there is a way to fire him.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

4 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

We didn't elect him, so I am not sure if there is a way to fire him.

Who is this admin? Seems like our membership should have the right to know who it is that is protecting us from ourselves and banning our comrades. 

Face it folks, we are living in a touchy, feely society where people get their feelings hurt way too easy and political correctness runs rampant. If someone was offended by his remark, fine, have an admin give him some points and tell him to watch his remarks for a while. What he posted was not enough (in my opinion) to be banned for life.

Then again, this post might be considered inappropriate and this could be my last post.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

There is a new FaceBook group that has 108 members. 

Search HDT's 

just saying there is another place for us to talk. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

The first thing I want to say is that I am in NO WAY defending the actions of any admin on this site. Something to keep in mind is that this forum is free to join and therefore free to leave. A free forum is not any sort of democratic organization. Discipline of the members is 100% up to the owner(s) and/or admins and there really isn't much anyone can do as a member. Yes, I own a small forum and yes, I and only I am responsible for what happens there. Another thing to remember is that when you post anything as soon as you push the 'submit' button you no longer own the post. It becomes property of the forum...........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Tom,

As a member of Escapees, I DO own a part of this forum in my mind. Our dues as Escapees members pay for the the main site, escapees benefits and this forum so I think we should, at the least have some input on the site.

If you just joined the forum and are not an escapees member, then yes, I would agree with your comments about it being free to join and free to leave.

David

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

3 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Tom,

As a member of Escapees, I DO own a part of this forum in my mind. Our dues as Escapees members pay for the the main site, escapees benefits and this forum so I think we should, at the least have some input on the site.

If you just joined the forum and are not an escapees member, then yes, I would agree with your comments about it being free to join and free to leave.

David

I agree with David.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Full disclosure....I do not have any ownership in this or any other forum on the net.  I do not have any of the facts regarding the person that got banned nor do I have any facts about how a newbie got to be a moderator or administrator.

Having said that, I've been a Global Moderator on a motorcycle related forum for 14 years.  I don't believe we've ever "banned" somebody for first offense with the exception of where one member threatened physical violence against another member at an event that we had coming up.  Generally, when a person steps over the line we send them a warning of sorts advising them of the rules for posting.  A second offense may result in a more stern warning with a time out (temporary suspension....where they can read but they can't post) and if they continue then it may result in a longer suspension or full ban, depending on the severity of the violation and the general consensus of the administration team.

I can tell you that we do not post these warnings on the forum but through a PM (private message sent directly to the offender).  We (all moderators and admin.) are aware of each warning and we discuss it behind the scenes on the Moderators board (that is not available for viewing by the general membership). 

So reading from all the posts above, my guess would be that he's not banned but that he's only suspended.  I would also think that he's been warned in the past and has reoffended and that he knows why he's suspended.

Mntom is correct, like all forums, in that it's a private owned forum and that we have no "ownership" here and it's not a democratic society where we all get to vote on actions taken.  Membership fees or dues only buy us time and access to a forum and nothing more.

Again, I am only a member here and nothing more.  I'm a member on the motorcycle forum that I also happen to be a Global Moderator on however, beyond that, I have no vested interest in any forum other than I'm just a member like all the rest of you.  I do not have the facts regarding this situation so I'll refrain from forming any solid opinion either way.  Those of you that have a concern may contact that member through his personal contact info (if you know him that well) or contact the admin. person that you believe banned him and maybe learn something that way?

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Howdy All,

I fully realize this is a family forum and try to conduct myself accordingly, that said I was given a warning for a post that was called "to political" in a thread that was in fact political in its nature.  The point being there are so many "snowflakes" out there nowadays who take offense at darn near anything that its hard to even guess what may result in getting one banned.  But to be banned for life I would think should only be the result of a dire disrespect of the family safe rule, as I have no idea of what the post that resulted in the ban said I can't have a viable opinion on the matter.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It appears that this came about from a post in a thread that was about another member who had bought a new-to-them truck.

If that is the post that brought about a lifetime ban, the administration of the forum owe it to the members to fully explain thier actions.  It would appear that the political correctness has reached an even higher level.  If that is the case, it may be necessary for a lot of us to consider a different venue.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

You never what can get you a zinger.  For me was during a thread about GPS, I said we should thank the military who paid for the GPS satellites to be in orbit.   This wasn't an opinion, it was a fact but it was considered by one of the anonymous overlords that my statement was too political.

To me that was a stretch but it occurred here.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Archived