04 Haulmark Restore Project

Egon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 0: Analysis

Center of floor has a soft spot. Its not near the edges so I suspect a leak wasn't cleaned up in time and rotted subfloor. Checked under frame and no rust means its an easy fix. 

Floor has marks from the side. Broken slide rollers means it needs to be removed to have those replaced.

Some outlets and the fridge don't work. 

No sink or stove. Sink has drains but no hot/cold water lines. Luckily the hot water heater is right there. Clearly previous owner started a quick flip they couldn't finish. 

Lets get to work

Edited by Egon

Week 1: Pulling vinyl flooring

Found the water damage! Plenty to go around! Luckily for me its only one panel of subfloor. Easy fix. The aluminum frame underneath is fine, so a new sheet of plywood and we're good as new! The A/C Unit above the water damage was the likely culprit here, so that warrants a follow up. 

Dinette set had to be removed, needed access to all of subfloor. Plus it was tacky.

Edited by Egon

Interesting project. How many miles are on the chassis?

Do you have a budget you are hoping to stay under?

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Chassis is a 97 Freightliner with 380K miles, BUT its on a Detroit Diesel 55 series. Already need to replace 2 injectors. Considering an engine swap. Budget for interior is 15k. Engine 10k. Hoping to sell this for 75k after completion.

Update 2: End of week 1

Spent the rest of the week trying to scrape up all the old adhesive from the subfloor. WHAT A PAIN! Its taken about 20 hours to remove about 90%. Scraping gets most of it but some needs to be dissolved with adhesive remover, which takes much longer. gOn9mfK.jpg

Edited by Egon

27 minutes ago, Egon said:

Replaced the subfloor panel with 5/8'' plywood, but its too thin. I know 3/4'' plywood will be too thick so I'll have to figure out a way to raise it. Need the floor to be perfect prior to installing vinyl over top.

Maybe something like :

https://www.lowes.com/pd/High-Performance-Cement-by-Quikrete-Cement-Mix/50146060?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-LumberAndBuildingMaterials-_-MasonryBaggedGoodsRepair-_-50146060:High_Performance_Cement_by_Quikrete&CAWELAID=&kpid=50146060&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1845&k_clickID=3aac8184-bb42-4b44-bfb7-e80874fc6a28&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7J3KBRCxARIsAPMXNVLsYvA7XlI16wO2pm0_2fUcsicuDlU5qYh7dsnnnmWCWp36rtBS_4saAtN2EALw_wcB

Or why didn't you shim under the 5/8 ?

Goes around , comes around .

I only have experience with S&B houses, but if the subfloor flexes when you walk on it, there will be problems later.  I have never restored a vehicle of any type though. 

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Egon,

This must be a labor of love. According to your posts above, you paid 48K for the coach, have a budget of 15K for the interior, 10K for the engine, nothing at all for the exterior and you want to sell it for 75K. That is only a 2K profit assuming you hit your budget numbers without any labor costs.

I need to sell you my 64 Fairlane and buy it back when you are done. :) 

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

On 6/19/2017 at 8:33 PM, Egon said:

Replaced the subfloor panel with 5/8'' plywood, but its too thin. I know 3/4'' plywood will be too thick so I'll have to figure out a way to raise it. Need the floor to be perfect prior to installing vinyl over top.

Try some drywall shims under the 5/8 ply to get it perfect.

Marcel

Haha, its more of a labor of hate. I enjoy doing this, but ideally I'll be living in it for free (minus insurance gas and park fees) and flipping one once per year. I'm doing this because I'm stuck in Clovis NM for the next 5 years and the housing market here is truly a mess, so flipping RVs keeps me occupied and gives me a dwelling. 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:39 AM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Egon,

This must be a labor of love. According to your posts above, you paid 48K for the coach, have a budget of 15K for the interior, 10K for the engine, nothing at all for the exterior and you want to sell it for 75K. That is only a 2K profit assuming you hit your budget numbers without any labor costs.

I need to sell you my 64 Fairlane and buy it back when you are done. :)