Dumping Air Bags & Keeping Air Out?

Cotreker

Leave your key on to the position before "start".

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks SuiteSuccess, So turn the truck off and turn the ignition to ACC or far left and then Dump the Air bags?  I am not with the truck right now.  If I understand you correctly I can then take the key out in normal method and the air will stay out of the bags?

If this does not work, I guess I could disable the dump solenoid at the rear end, small pain.

Please confirm.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

My truck is not at home but you can also key on engine off dump the bags and fan the brake pedal and get the air down to about 60 psi and then shut the key off and the bags will stay down.  I usually leave the key on dump the air unload the car and then turn the key off.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

29 minutes ago, Cotreker said:

Thanks SuiteSuccess, So turn the truck off and turn the ignition to ACC or far left and then Dump the Air bags?  I am not with the truck right now.  If I understand you correctly I can then take the key out in normal method and the air will stay out of the bags?

If this does not work, I guess I could disable the dump solenoid at the rear end, small pain.

Please confirm.

I dump the bags with the truck running , then just turn the truck off but leaving the key in the position you would use to hear the "clicks" before you engaged the starter.  I can't remove my key in this position.  Basically same as what Nigel said above in his last sentence.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Or, dump the suspension, turn the key to off , turn the key on, pull your air tank drain lanyards to drain tanks, turn the key off. The suspension will stay down until the truck is restarted and builds sufficient pressure to reinflate the suspension.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Sounds like they set it up in the ECM. Where it does that, and reason being. Way to many took off with the bags aired down. And this for a better word. IS to take the drivers that drum and drive off for miles. Out of the that issue, way to many u-joints and other issues from those people driving with bags deflated.

event.png

If your service lines aren't plugged off, you could just turn off the truck and press the trailer service valve, that will drain your air supply fairly quick.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, sclord2002 said:

Or, dump the suspension, turn the key to off , turn the key on, pull your air tank drain lanyards to drain tanks, turn the key off. The suspension will stay down until the truck is restarted and builds sufficient pressure to reinflate the suspension.    Charlie

Hi Charlie,

P/M sent.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Ok, dumb idea. Obviously the switch that dumps the air bags needs 12v power from the key switch to operate. Why not simply disconnect the switched 12v power and supply a constant power? Would that work?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Kenworth does this as a safety feature:  you move switch to deflate suspension, it stays deflated until human person moves switch to re-inflate. 

How can a suspension that re-inflates on it's own opposite to how you have set the controls when you key off the truck be a "safety feature"? 

Signed,

Confused by Wolwo features sometimes :blink:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

Ok, dumb idea. Obviously the switch that dumps the air bags needs 12v power from the key switch to operate. Why not simply disconnect the switched 12v power and supply a constant power? Would that work?

It will work, however, that power is going to a solenoid that will draw on your batteries.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

It is because they use a simple normally closed solenoid bank.  

http://graphicvillage.org/meritor/tp0223.pdf

Latching solenoids (or bi-stable, whatever you want to call it) for trucks weren't invented till KW forced them to become invented a few years ago.  You can go to a KW dealer and buy a latching start, end cap, and harness layer.  Then plug off your solenoid for air suspension, unpin the corresponding terminals, and run an air line and the unpinned wire over to the KW one.  It'll then work independent of the key.  They are pretty skookum solenoids and latching takes a double unit so it won't be cheap.  I can get part #'s if interested.

Or option #2 you can leave your solenoid bank as-is.  Get a double check valve and install that in your dump airline (the one from your solenoid to the leveling valve).  Port A comes from your current air line & solenoid, Port C goes to leveling valve.  Port B comes from an added normally open solenoid hooked to key switched power. Airline to this solenoid would be tee'd from the supply line to the original solenoid bank (or alternately it could be a pressure protected line from tank).  Upside to option 2 is it'll hold dump when keyed off like you want.  Downside is that it'll dump every time you key off no matter your dash switch position.  Use a real good solenoid and do the best wiring you can as any solenoid or wiring failure and you are going to have a dumped suspension whenever and wherever it happens, which isn't really the failure mode you want.

Recommend Clippard double check:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clippard-Minimatic-MJSV-1-Directional-Control-Valve-NEW-/322543855898?epid=1526671745&hash=item4b191ca91a:g:J68AAOSwxu5ZNaBR

Recommend GT, errr IMI, solenoid:

https://www.imi-precision.com/us/en/detail/5030-211/commercial-vehicle-solenoid-operated-air-valve-1-4-push-to-connect-fittings

Or option #3 is to replace leveling valve with a Hadley SmartValve kit.  I think it would ignore a dump signal at key off but I'm not 100% sure.  I don't really encounter the problem in my world.

Could a person not put a simple 12V NC air solenoid into the leveling valve supply line, so it shuts off when you turn off the key?   IE---dump the rear end, and shut off the key, new air solenoid closes and prevents the air pressure from reaching the OEM leveling valve.   Then when you turn the key back on, the valve opens and the OEM system can do whatever it wants to again?

1 wire and one valve...

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

He wants to hold the suspension down at key off, which is the opposite - it needs to block and hold air in the dumping line at the leveling valve.  Most all "truck" solenoids are 3 way and can't do it.  You could do a simple industrial two way solenoid as long as it is good enough to close and hold pressure long enough.

• 3 months later...

On my 2000 VNL Volvo 420 if I dump the air out of the bags they stay dumped even when restarting, maybe it is a new over ride added for 2006.

Grayling & Shirley

2000 Volvo 420, single Axle, 370 ISM, 10 speed

2001 Holiday Rambler Presidential 37' SKT

US Army MSG (Ret) Transportation Corps

(see You Tube Channel Max1Chase1)

Archived