Smart Car Hesitation Question

ktlobb11

I know this is the HDT forum but I also figured a lot of people here own Smarts. We bought a Smart Prime (2016) on the way home from the ECR and until this past week I had not really driven it. After driving it this past week I noticed a pretty good delay or hesitation from a dead stop so I was just wondering if this is normal or something I need to have looked at. I'm sure it's something I could get used to and it doesn't appear to be as bad when I control the shifting  but never owning a Smart before it was definitly something I'm not used to.

2019 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA (Moving in 4/29)
2020 Volvo 860 (Hopefully on the Production Line)
2016 Smart Prime Coupe “Phase One”

Is it the engine pulling down with clutch engagement or a hesitation?  If you're not familiar driving a vehicle with a clutch, that might be what you are experiencing.  Try varying levels of throttle on launch and let us know if there's any difference.  Sometimes a small clutch adjustment can make a big difference.  There are safety features that keep the power level low until the clutch is fully engaged.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Ok, it's an automative so there's no manual clutch it that's what your talking about. Basically with most cars when you take your foot off the brake the car will start moving right away without depressing the gas. The smart when you take your foot off the brake there's a 1-2 second delay before it will start moving forward with out depressing the gas. Also if you do depress the gas right away it isn't the smoothest acceleration, it almost feels like it's just not getting enough gas.

Kevin,

My 2013 does the same. Think you're probably ?.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Sounds familiar. Our first drives with the 2016 felt a little different than what we were used to.  I think Jack Mayer has a write up about the difference people will experience when loading them.  It has something to do with the automatic "clutch" that the Smart has.  Left foot brakers may have issues when on an incline & loading on incline requires you to use the hand brake.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

I haven't driven the 453 but the 450 has a hill start feature that holds the brakes on for about two seconds after you release the brake or until it sees some throttle input.  If the 453 is similar that may be part of the delay as well as the automated clutch.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

I've said many times it feels like riding with someone else driving a stick shift car. (Except it never stalls the engine like with a conventional stick shift when you drop the clutch too fast for the amount of gas pedal...)

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Here is the video where I compare the two versions of the smart. Hesitation on the new one is primarily turbo lag.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks to everybody, Thanks Jack, I had already watch the video. My main concern was that I was a little worried that it was unique to our prime and thinking it might need to get into the shop for service. It seems to be a normal thing with the Smarts so I'm ok with that, just need to get use to it.

Thanks again to all

Archived