Broken Door Handle - Trapped inside

cschlintz

Today's adventure is getting out.  The door is not locked and the door will not open.  Had camp host come and look and they say that the cable is broken inside the handle. I am taking the handle off and the screen door is in the way. Any suggestions?  Can't seem to get help from a mobile service.

If I'm not mistaken, the outside handle doesn't actually do that much. It's the inside handle that actuates the door mechanism and the outdoor latch simply actuates the inside handle. If the inside handle moves to the full "open" position with no resistance, then there is a serious problem. If when moving the handle to the "open" position there IS resistance, but it will not fully move to the "open" position, then you might try having someone on the outside press FIRMLY inward and try the handle again. You might need the person outside to kind of "bounce" their weight onto and off of the door as you attempt to move the handle to the fully "open" position or jiggle the door up and down while pressing inward and attempting to work the inside latch.

It's not terribly uncommon for the door latch to bind on the striker plate. The plates are adjustable so it may not be a massive fix if you can at least get the door open once.

29 minutes ago, Yarome said:

If I'm not mistaken, the outside handle doesn't actually do that much. It's the inside handle that actuates the door mechanism and the outdoor latch simply actuates the inside handle. If the inside handle moves to the full "open" position with no resistance, then there is a serious problem. If when moving the handle to the "open" position there IS resistance, but it will not fully move to the "open" position, then you might try having someone on the outside press FIRMLY inward and try the handle again. You might need the person outside to kind of "bounce" their weight onto and off of the door as you attempt to move the handle to the fully "open" position or jiggle the door up and down while pressing inward and attempting to work the inside latch.

It's not terribly uncommon for the door latch to bind on the striker plate. The plates are adjustable so it may not be a massive fix if you can at least get the door open once.

No resistance at all from inside.  I believe that the cable inside the mechanism snapped.  So a mobile service is now on it's way.  How exciting?!

6 hours ago, Yarome said:

Where you released from lockup? ;)

What turned out to be the problem/resolution?

Yes.  Took 4 hours and left my rig with a twisted door frame and hole where the handle was removed.  Now to find a place to get it fixed. Feeling traumatized and heartbroken - and it could be worse so onward.  (You would have loved to see us lifting the dogs, especially the 65 pound black lab, out the emergency escape because after 6 hours they just had to go. Hysterical.)

2 hours ago, cschlintz said:

...left my rig with a twisted door frame...

That doesn't sound good! Worse case they generally just drill through the handle and manually retract the door latch. The latch/lock assembly will be shot, but easily replaceable and should never result in a twisted frame. The tech was on site for 4 hours messing with it... or including wait time as well?

Glad you and your pups got paroled, but what a way to start your new adventures. Once you get the first 3 disasters out of the way then you'll be good to go for awhile. What number are you on??  ;)

23 hours ago, Yarome said:

That doesn't sound good! Worse case they generally just drill through the handle and manually retract the door latch. The latch/lock assembly will be shot, but easily replaceable and should never result in a twisted frame. The tech was on site for 4 hours messing with it... or including wait time as well?

Glad you and your pups got paroled, but what a way to start your new adventures. Once you get the first 3 disasters out of the way then you'll be good to go for awhile. What number are you on??  ;)

It took 4 hours of the tech's time. The result is a broken door (will have to be replaced) and badly torn up door jamb. Disasters... So there were the brakes before we could even get on our way, the alternator that failed in the mountains at 7PM on a Sunday leaving us stranded with trucks whizzing by at 70 MPH, the slide that stuck open, the toilet that just broke... Now this... I think there are 3 in there that are major enough to count.  Could tolerate some smooth sailing!

6 hours ago, cschlintz said:

It took 4 hours of the tech's time. The result is a broken door (will have to be replaced) and badly torn up door jamb. 

It would be helpful if you went to RV Service Reviews and left a bad review for this tech. A badly torn up door jamb should NOT have been part of this process.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

46 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It would be helpful if you went to RV Service Reviews and left a bad review for this tech. A badly torn up door jamb should NOT have been part of this process.

Linda Sand

I definitely agree .

Goes around , comes around .

49 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Linda Sand

X3

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, DuffMan said:

Don't be too quick to judge - OP never would state what the root cause of problem was.

True that^ ... I'm curious .

I still can't imagine 4 hours to get any RV door open , let alone wreck the door and jam  in the process .

Goes around , comes around .

Shoot, it would have been much cheaper to invite a burglar to break-in. I doubt the damage could have been worse.;)

Sorry to read about your trials and tribulations. Look at the glass half-full, you've gotten those issues(except door) behind you now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Update... The door has to be manufactured.  It will take at least 4-5 weeks.  Then once installed it will have to be painted so not a 1 day installation. We are full timers so not sure how to live without a door for the next 5 weeks.  Suggestions welcomed!

Not helpful right away but I would be thinking about suing that tech. I have had friends with door lock problems but not one of them ended up with the type or amount of damage you have.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, cschlintz said:

This is the damage that I will drive 270 mies to get repaired. 

And you paid someone 4 hours of labor to do this? You need to visit with an attorney as soon as you have an estimate on repair cost. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived