cschlintz

Broken Door Handle - Trapped inside

24 posts in this topic

Today's adventure is getting out.  The door is not locked and the door will not open.  Had camp host come and look and they say that the cable is broken inside the handle. I am taking the handle off and the screen door is in the way. Any suggestions?  Can't seem to get help from a mobile service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken, the outside handle doesn't actually do that much. It's the inside handle that actuates the door mechanism and the outdoor latch simply actuates the inside handle. If the inside handle moves to the full "open" position with no resistance, then there is a serious problem. If when moving the handle to the "open" position there IS resistance, but it will not fully move to the "open" position, then you might try having someone on the outside press FIRMLY inward and try the handle again. You might need the person outside to kind of "bounce" their weight onto and off of the door as you attempt to move the handle to the fully "open" position or jiggle the door up and down while pressing inward and attempting to work the inside latch.

It's not terribly uncommon for the door latch to bind on the striker plate. The plates are adjustable so it may not be a massive fix if you can at least get the door open once.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2012 Georgetown.  Very common handle.  I've taken it as apart as I can. Looks like a mobile repair unit is to be here in an hur, so I guess I wait and try not to panic!  Thanks for the response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yarome said:

If I'm not mistaken, the outside handle doesn't actually do that much. It's the inside handle that actuates the door mechanism and the outdoor latch simply actuates the inside handle. If the inside handle moves to the full "open" position with no resistance, then there is a serious problem. If when moving the handle to the "open" position there IS resistance, but it will not fully move to the "open" position, then you might try having someone on the outside press FIRMLY inward and try the handle again. You might need the person outside to kind of "bounce" their weight onto and off of the door as you attempt to move the handle to the fully "open" position or jiggle the door up and down while pressing inward and attempting to work the inside latch.

It's not terribly uncommon for the door latch to bind on the striker plate. The plates are adjustable so it may not be a massive fix if you can at least get the door open once.

 

No resistance at all from inside.  I believe that the cable inside the mechanism snapped.  So a mobile service is now on it's way.  How exciting?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is your opportunity to test your emergency exit if you need to get out. Getting back in, however...

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where you released from lockup? ;)

What turned out to be the problem/resolution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yarome said:

Where you released from lockup? ;)

What turned out to be the problem/resolution?

Yes.  Took 4 hours and left my rig with a twisted door frame and hole where the handle was removed.  Now to find a place to get it fixed. Feeling traumatized and heartbroken - and it could be worse so onward.  (You would have loved to see us lifting the dogs, especially the 65 pound black lab, out the emergency escape because after 6 hours they just had to go. Hysterical.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cschlintz said:

...left my rig with a twisted door frame...

That doesn't sound good! Worse case they generally just drill through the handle and manually retract the door latch. The latch/lock assembly will be shot, but easily replaceable and should never result in a twisted frame. The tech was on site for 4 hours messing with it... or including wait time as well?

Glad you and your pups got paroled, but what a way to start your new adventures. Once you get the first 3 disasters out of the way then you'll be good to go for awhile. What number are you on??  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Yarome said:

That doesn't sound good! Worse case they generally just drill through the handle and manually retract the door latch. The latch/lock assembly will be shot, but easily replaceable and should never result in a twisted frame. The tech was on site for 4 hours messing with it... or including wait time as well?

Glad you and your pups got paroled, but what a way to start your new adventures. Once you get the first 3 disasters out of the way then you'll be good to go for awhile. What number are you on??  ;)

It took 4 hours of the tech's time. The result is a broken door (will have to be replaced) and badly torn up door jamb. Disasters... So there were the brakes before we could even get on our way, the alternator that failed in the mountains at 7PM on a Sunday leaving us stranded with trucks whizzing by at 70 MPH, the slide that stuck open, the toilet that just broke... Now this... I think there are 3 in there that are major enough to count.  Could tolerate some smooth sailing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cschlintz said:

It took 4 hours of the tech's time. The result is a broken door (will have to be replaced) and badly torn up door jamb. 

 

It would be helpful if you went to RV Service Reviews and left a bad review for this tech. A badly torn up door jamb should NOT have been part of this process.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It would be helpful if you went to RV Service Reviews and left a bad review for this tech. A badly torn up door jamb should NOT have been part of this process.

Linda Sand

I definitely agree .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It would be helpful if you went to RV Service Reviews and left a bad review for this tech. A badly torn up door jamb should NOT have been part of this process.

Linda Sand

X3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

X3

Don't be too quick to judge - OP never would state what the root cause of problem was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DuffMan said:

Don't be too quick to judge - OP never would state what the root cause of problem was.

True that^ ... I'm curious .

I still can't imagine 4 hours to get any RV door open , let alone wreck the door and jam  in the process .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot, it would have been much cheaper to invite a burglar to break-in. I doubt the damage could have been worse.;)

Sorry to read about your trials and tribulations. Look at the glass half-full, you've gotten those issues(except door) behind you now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing ... If all thieves and crooks were as dumb as the supposed tech that did that^ , we'd have few security problems .

But , I guess you'd have to have been there . 

Edited by Pat & Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update... The door has to be manufactured.  It will take at least 4-5 weeks.  Then once installed it will have to be painted so not a 1 day installation. We are full timers so not sure how to live without a door for the next 5 weeks.  Suggestions welcomed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not helpful right away but I would be thinking about suing that tech. I have had friends with door lock problems but not one of them ended up with the type or amount of damage you have.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could have gotten that lock out with a dremal tool with no damage to the door. He was no tech. Hit his insurance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cschlintz said:

This is the damage that I will drive 270 mies to get repaired. 

And you paid someone 4 hours of labor to do this? You need to visit with an attorney as soon as you have an estimate on repair cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

Dish For My RV Military Offer.

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.