Full timer needs advice on windshield wiper motor replacement

Backpacker

I am a full-timer, having purchased a 2015 Bounder 33C in January of 2016.

My immediate problem is that my windshield wipers are not working. With the help of a Ford dealer in Provo, UT, I discovered the fuse is good so I apparently need a new motor.  

As I said, I am a full-timer on the way to Glacier National Park and Fleetwood customer service can locate no dealer in the Provo/Salt Lake City, Ogden area that can even offer an appointment to see me less than 10 days. Frankly, at this point, I believe Fleetwood should call their "Customer Service" center the "No Customer Service" center, which I will explain below.
--------

First, I would appreciate any advice.  I have an extended warranty to pay for service but, from experience, I know that waiting 10 days in the Salt Lake City area for an appointment will probably be followed by an additional wait while they order a new motor.  I am on the road and passing through.
--------

Second, I want to give you a history of the level of access to customer service I have had since March, both to vent my frustrations with it and to seek any advice from full-timers who have experience dealing with this.  

Before I begin, I am quite happy with La Mesa RV in Tucson.  My huge problem is the very poor availability both of service appointments for my Bounder and long turnaround times for ordering parts.

Here's what my year has looked like so far:

03/23/17 Called Fleetwood c/s for Tucson area service centers to fix stuck slide-out. Soonest appointment was 04/06/17.  Boondocked 14 days waiting on appointment.

04/06/2017- 05/05/2017 Waited an additional 29 days for parts arrival and completion of repairs.

05/08/17 Having traveled 250 miles from Tucson toward Las Vegas I discovered what turned out to be a failed toilet pump. Called Fleetwood c/s and got Las Vegas dealer who never returned call.  Called La Mesa RV in Phoenix and 2 month wait on appointment.  Earliest appointment was at La Mesa in Phoenix for 05/18/17 (250 return miles + another 10 day wait).

05/18/2017 - 06/07/2017 an additional 19 days waiting on a pump and repair completion.

06/14/2017 I first discovered my windshield wipers didn't work.  I was in Page, AZ and decided to wait to arrive in the Salt Lake City area to get service.  

06/16/2017 After getting numbers to call from Fleetwood c/s, I found nobody can see me for at least 10 days and, of course, the delay will most likely result in waiting an additional time for a Fleetwood windshield wiper motor.

(Note: Ford Motor service got me into a Provo Ford dealer the first thing the next morning to assure the w/s wiper fuse was good. However, the wiper motor is Fleetwood.  They were kind enough to offer to replace if I got the part but that might jeopardize my extended warranty claim.)

06/16/2017 A screw fell out of a support for my driver's side shade. It is a wood screw and the threads in the wood frame are stripped. The shade is now drooping on one side
-----------------

How do full-timers deal with this.  All Fleetwood's customer service does is provide a list of numbers to try, period.  Their tech support people didn't even know where the interior fuse box was. He assured me it was on the firewall to the left of the break pedal when it was a pop-off cover on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

Fleetwood customer service seems to be no more than a SHAM.  Please help me solve my windshield wiper motor problem.  I am in Provo, UT, headed north through Twin Falls, ID to Glacier National Park.

Since you are under the extended warranty why don't you go to an independent repair place??? They are interested in getting you repaired and on the road again, usually have electricity and water for your use. Just make sure it is cleared by the extended warranty company.

Dealers, even the one you bought it from, aren't interested in repairs. They are interested in selling new RVs.

Most of us do the repairs ourselves or use a mobile or independent repair person if we can't do it ourselves.

Do you know about rvservicereviews.com?

For additional repair places just post a request on the forum.

8 hours ago, SWharton said:

Since you are under the extended warranty why don't you go to an independent repair place??? They are interested in getting you repaired and on the road again, usually have electricity and water for your use. Just make sure it is cleared by the extended warranty company.

My thoughts as well. When you make an appointment with an independent mechanic shop, let them know what extended warranty company you deal with. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

REPAIR OF WOOD SCREW PROBLEM:

Take 2-3 toothpicks, break in half, cover in Elmer's glue, cram as much/many toothpick parts in the hole as possible, put screw through the bracket and screw into hole/toothpick mass, if necessary-support side shade until the glue dries.  The toothpick is to fill hole, the glue is to form a solid mass with the outside wood, and toothpick to provide more solid hold.

Windshield Motor:  Sorry.  I only do wood.  :huh:

Good Luck!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

On 6/16/2017 at 2:57 PM, SWharton said:

Dealers, even the one you bought it from, aren't interested in repairs. They are interested in selling new RVs.

Most of us do the repairs ourselves or use a mobile or independent repair person if we can't do it ourselves.

Do you know about rvservicereviews.com?

For additional repair places just post a request on the forum.

I agree.  I did warranty work at Independent shops I worked at.  They would pay us by credit card over the phone.  A wiper motor should be an easy and quick replacement. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 6/16/2017 at 1:30 PM, Backpacker said:

Fleetwood customer service seems to be no more than a SHAM.

Many of us have experienced long waits for service and understand how frustrating it can be. It does seem that most RV dealers are backed up on work during the summer months but are often slow in winter months. We are wondering if you have had any solution to the problems yet? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Like most of the ones above, I take care of a lot on our coach myself. For the stripped out holes, I don't use toothpicks. Find some wood golf tees, sand the finish off of them, coat the outside with wood glue and drive it into the hole if the existing hole is large enough. If the hole is too small, drill it out to the size of the tee and then drive it home. Once the glue has dried, trim off the excess tee flush with the wood and you can then re-install the screw. You will have a good, solid piece of wood to work with.

The wiper motor could be as simple as the wiring pulled from the motor itself. Any auto mechanic can diagnose that issue and it does not require a trip to any RV dealer or RV repair. You can then order the motor (if that is the issue), have it shipped to your next stop and get it installed there. Most of the repairs on a motorhome or trailer are not that difficult to do but it does take time to get the parts if they are manufacture specific.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

It may not be the motor. It could be the switch or a relay if one is used.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived