Onan engine problems

Cerroken

Sounds like maybe a dirty carb . Maybe a bit of water in the bowl ? It'll run 'til the water bubble gets sucked up into the main jet , then quit .

A former camp neighbor had the same problem . It only cost him a couple hundred bucks for a new carb . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, Cerroken said:

My onan generator will start but only run for a minute. Can start it again but the vycle repeats 

Part of your rig (gets it's fuel from main fuel tank) or stand alone?  Gas or Diesel?  Age, size?  

If in a motorhome, do you have more than a 1/4 tank of fuel on board?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are pleased to have you join us and will do all that we are able to help. 

Does it start and run as long as you hold the start switch, but stop once you release it? If so that is an indication that it isn't putting out any electricity as the Onan is designed to get starting power from the RV 12V system but once in run it only gets power from the output of its own generator. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Had a similar issue with my Onan.  Would run 30 to 45 seconds and die.  Through a low oil pressure code.  The bottom line problem was the fuel filter (algae) and resetting the oil pressure sensor (disconnect and reconnect the wire to sensor).  Fuel to generator is from the main tank.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

I would add the proper dosage of SeaFoam to the fuel tank after changing the genset fuel filter. It's a bit expensive to dose a 100G fuel tank, but it works very well in both gas and diesel fuel. I have a ZTR mower that would not run at all except at full-throttle, I added a small bottle of SeaFoam to the gas tank and by the time the tank was empty again the Honda engine ran smoothly again. The lowest prices I've found is at a Rural King farm store, $6.89.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Cerroken said:

Replaced it and it runns like a champ.

Now that is good news. Onan recommends that you run the genset for at least 20 minutes under at least 1/2 load once each month in idle periods. There are several reasons but the two main are to keep the carb from evaporating dry and thus building up a coating that causes problems and also to warm up the generator windings to dry out any condensed moisture because that is the #1 cause of generator failures. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived