half ton pickup pulling fifth wheel

the ol farm boy

The very first 1/2 ton I bought was a used '96 RAM (with the rear seat but no doors) with a 318. It had a 5th hitch on it and the PO drove it across Canada...   I used it to tow a very lite 25 foot hybrid TT with a mx bike (plus other stuff) in the back. It did have air bags in the back.  On more than one occasion, it was a real handful but I was young and didn't know any better. I occasionally wonder what the trailer specs were for that 5th...  Would I do it again, nope..  I believe I echo a previous poster because I now get that comment about enough truck for my 5th now.....  but hey, it makes life that much better.. 

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I'm on several internet offroad forums, I'm primarily a rock crawler/desert racer/adventure traveler, just moving in to the full time RV living genre (just bought an Outback 330RL, awaiting delivery).

Regardless of what flavor the forum is, it seems there is always a question from someone asking how safe it is to overload a vehicle.  When I say overloaded, I refer to exceeding the manufacturer specs.  In my experience, everyone has above average driving skills, and whatever vehicle they own, with whatever modifications they have added, makes that vehicle capable of doing whatever the owner needs it to do.

I have an '06 GMC 2500HD (Duramax) with a slide in pop up truck camper in the bed (approx. 1000 lbs), I also have a 24' enclosed car hauler that I stuff one of my 5000' Jeeps in to, along with tools, spare parts, etc.  The trailer is rated for 10,000 pounds, it can't possibly be over 12,000 pounds when loaded for a two week trip (scared to run it across the scales).  In my head, I'm perfectly safe, drive accordingly when running heavy, etc.  Bottom line, I'm still WRONG!

I figure I'll be marginal at best once I get the travel trailer.  Reverse of the commercials...I'm an amateur driver on an open course!

If you look at the trailers from Scamp, you will find that they do build a 19' long fifth wheel trailer which could be towed quite nicely with a typical "half ton" truck of today. 

Approximate weight 2200-2800 3500 pounds

Hitch weight 400 pounds

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, russ.  I have resolved my question.  I really thought that I needed a 3/4 ton truck.  However, there is a lot of talk about using a 1/2 ton.  The feedback has all convinced me that I need  a 3/4.

My next question.  What is a good brand of small 5th wheel.  I'm accustomed to nice things so I don't want a piece of junk.  ansi want a used unit.  Is there some place that I tell the world that I'm looking?

Too bad but of course being market driven these fivers went away. In the 70's and early 80's, Fleetwood products produce short single and tandem axle fivers under the Wilderness and Prowler names, that were no problem for 1/2 ton pickups. I also believe Shadow Cruser produced a model. From time to time in our travels we will see one sitting in a driveway or field.  

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:45 PM, pinger said:

Seems like some rv'ers want to see who can get up the hill the fastest.

I prefer to get DOWN the hill the safest. Stuff enough engine under the hood and anyone can get up a hill quick. It's keeping it under control on the downhill side. That is the important thing that some people forget.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 2 weeks later...

Statements similar to the one above occur every day on various social media forums. Unfortunately, these statements are not helpful and could very well lead someone to purchase a trailer much too big for their tow vehicle. I know this first hand because I learned this costly.

I just traded a 2014 Ford F150  Ecoboost in  for a Chevy 2500  HD because the load capacity of the Ford was only 1395lbs.dry. I really liked the truck but didn't want to tow maxed out or overloaded. The 3/4ton carries double that weight easily.

2009 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot C32BL 5er,

2018 Ford F350 Srw diesel. Curt 20Q slider hitch

Lewisburg, Tn.

Archived