AirRide / Air Brakes Trailer

DIESELSUBMARINER

Just out of curiosity: anybody ever converted their fifth wheel camper to air brakes and air ride? my Teton has morride and e-brakes. I believe e-brakes are not the best solution for this size & weight camper. In addition, I would like to use the trailer brake on the steering column if needed. Any thoughts on how to utilize that ?

thanks

I pulled my air for hayes brake controller off of trailer circuit so I could use spike to control trailer brakes

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

We have seen a trailer with air ride and electric brakes but the only one with both would most likely be a spacecraft semi trailer version. 

I do not think any of the typical RV axles would be able to handle air brakes so it probably means changing axles.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

10 hours ago, Bob A said:

I pulled my air for hayes brake controller off of trailer circuit so I could use spike to control trailer brakes

Thanks Bob, since I am new to this, I was not aware of the hayes controller.. but im sure for now I go that route

9 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We have seen a trailer with air ride and electric brakes but the only one with both would most likely be a spacecraft semi trailer version. 

I do not think any of the typical RV axles would be able to handle air brakes so it probably means changing axles.

Dave

Dave,

If I am not mistaken, the Teton came at least with optional air suspension and I thought  optional air brakes as well, but those might have been air over hydraulic. I also recall seeing a long time ago a large Alfa with Air lines up front...

but I agree, axle change would probably be required .

2 hours ago, shorts said:

Ridewell truck and trailersuspension and Dexter offer airride for 7&8K axles.  Air brakes are available for the 15" wheels and tires used on heavy haul trailers, it will take some research but the hardware is available.

Ridewell air suspension for fifths has been around for long time and I've seen it as an option installed on a Teton (long time ago) and a SpaceCraft.

2 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Ridewell air suspension for fifths has been around for long time and I've sen it as an option installed on a Teton (long time ago) and a SpaceCraft.

Henry is correct. It was a rare option on Tetons, and is pretty standard on Spacecraft trailers. The Kelderman and Ridewell has been put on New Horizons. I know of no air brakes on any conventional RV 5ths (not semis). I've seen a custom Featherlight RV trailer with air brakes. But that is a definite one-off and not very common.

It can certainly be done as a retrofit with enough money and "will".  Early next year you will see one with air disc/abs and adjustable  air ride. With Bigfoot leveling to boot...And a bunch of other innovations. But that is as far as I'm going on that topic at the moment ;)  Otherwise I may be considered "commercial", and be violating forum rules.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

2 hours ago, JPL said:

Jack     Dog gone it now you've got my curiosity fired up and you tell me to wait till next year! You are heartless!!   Pat

Well, Pat, when we get into the October timeframe I'll be sharing some design and infrastructure details.......

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

On 6/16/2017 at 7:59 AM, phoenix2013 said:

Ridewell air suspension for fifths has been around for long time and I've seen it as an option installed on a Teton (long time ago) and a SpaceCraft.

If Teton offered the Ridewell suspension, it was later than my 2005 Teton.  Phoenix, you might be remembering my setup with the Dexter Air-Flex system that is nothing like the current Dexter system available.  I think the older one was much better and the trailer just smoothly floated down the highway with nothing coming off of anything.  It had large Firestone suspension bags on it, without and torsion setup and was a pretty simple system.  We were surprised, as was Trey and Susan when they weighed our trailer, that the air suspension balanced out weights pretty evenly across the axles (within 50 lbs of each side).  With that huge long kitchen slide, with additional pantry added midway, it really took care of the "heavy" side of the rig.

I have talked with folks who have the newer air ride systems that are available, and not sure if they have the Ridewell system or the newer Dexter system, but they seem not to function as well for them.  I did like the fact that you aired the system up for traveling (Dexter has an option for that) and that made it have higher clearance for everything I might encounter.  I think it was between 9 to 11 inches.  And it was adjustable based on a leveling valve like our trucks.  That is also why my pin height had to be almost 50 inches.

The newer systems (that have been mentioned) don't seem to have the same travel distance as did the older systems.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Hero, I checked my "archives" and you are correct, The rig I remembered was 2006 39 footer Frontier that Steve Dobs had custom built by Teton. He didn't have Ridewell, he had three axle setup by Timbren Industries. The unique feature of their setup was independent air bag actuation this allowed him to unload the third axle when parking. You know that look of tires literally coming off the rims in sharp corners.on the first, or third axle.

No real "lift" on the axle, but it did unload it enough to essentially do the same thing.....

www.jackdanmayer.com

22 hours ago, JPL said:

Jack    We will coming out to the Balloon Fest in Abq in early Oct. Where will you be? Can I get a glimpse??  Take care.   Pat

The Old Sailor

I'll be at the National Rally, of course ;)

And after that, likely in Parsons. 

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived