HDT liscensing in Oregon

jcsteele

Hey everyone!

I am new here but I have been lurking for awhile!

So I just got a STEAL on a 96 International 9400 that is relatively low miles (700k) and immaculate... it had already been singled short and wired for RV... just no air ride hitch yet :-(

ANYWAY, I need to transfer the title and get it switched over to a motorhome liscense but the DMV lady at my local small town DMV says NO, I can only register it with "T" plates and pay every Quarter for the GVWR.... well I have read otherwise but only in a few places, so if anyone has some tips/advise, that would awesome!!

Oregon DMV site is 3 shades of worthless but I did get the definition of motorhome as "a motor vehicle that is reconstructed, permanently altered, or originally designed to provide facilities for human habitation" and also somewhere I read "motorhomes must have cooking and sleeping facilities"

Any help is much appreciated!! I don't have a problem going in and telling them they are wrong but I want to make sure I am not the one that is wrong :-)

Did you check the resource guide?

It looks like you have to register it as a motorhome so you may have to prove you have the appropriate items to be considered one.

If you have a sleeper that counts as one of the items. Usually need a shore power hookup which can be fairly easily to install. Use a porta potty for your toilet. By an electric heater to use as your separate heating source. Use an apartment refrigerator to satisfy that requirement if needed. We installed a small microwave for the cooking requirement.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

13 hours ago, jcsteele said:

Hey everyone!

I am new here but I have been lurking for awhile!

So I just got a STEAL on a 96 International 9400 that is relatively low miles (700k) and immaculate... it had already been singled short and wired for RV... just no air ride hitch yet :-(

ANYWAY, I need to transfer the title and get it switched over to a motorhome liscense but the DMV lady at my local small town DMV says NO, I can only register it with "T" plates and pay every Quarter for the GVWR.... well I have read otherwise but only in a few places, so if anyone has some tips/advise, that would awesome!!

Oregon DMV site is 3 shades of worthless but I did get the definition of motorhome as "a motor vehicle that is reconstructed, permanently altered, or originally designed to provide facilities for human habitation" and also somewhere I read "motorhomes must have cooking and sleeping facilities"

Any help is much appreciated!! I don't have a problem going in and telling them they are wrong but I want to make sure I am not the one that is wrong :-)

JC,

It took about 10 minutes to convert the Dollytrolley from a Pvt/ Commercial Washington state registered tractor to a motorhome at the Bend DMV........

The hard part was when the DMV geek wrote the VIN# down wrong and then the letter arrived 4 weeks later that NO Freightshaker had ever had the said VIN#........took 3 weeks to resolve but it did not effect the fact that I walked out of the DMV in 10 minutes with new shiny ORE Motorhome plates......

Try my cell at (520) 891-3695 ........we are presently in the middle of Nevada with limited cell service but keep trying.......it's not hard to reg in OR as a motorhome.......the only rub is.........it is the OR DMV.........

Drive on............(OR DMV is........The OR DMV)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You live in Bend?!?! Me too!

I went to the Prineville DMV because they are tiny and usually very easy to deal with! Bend has never been very good to me but if you succeeded there, then that's where I will go when I get home (currently on a trip until the 2nd week of July, without the HDT obviously)

What do I need to install in the sleeper? It currently doesn't have a mattress, is an actual mattress needed?

thanks so much!! I was pretty discouraged the other day and thought about just selling it but I feel way better now! 

Oh hell...DT is gonna have someone new to tell his stories to. :)

"Sit down son and let me tell ya. And this is all true stuff I'm making up...." :lol:

DT, just make sure you tell him the one about the bottle of Dr. Pepper additive. :blink:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hopefully JCsteele has been lurking enough to know all about DT and Gramps!

As far as I know you do not have to have an actual mattress. Just put a pillow on one end and throw a sheet or blanket and if they ask, say your Gramps never slept on a mattress in his truck and that is who taught you to drive! DT can probably back you up on that one.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

12 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Hopefully JCsteele has been lurking enough to know all about DT and Gramps!

As far as I know you do not have to have an actual mattress. Just put a pillow on one end and throw a sheet or blanket and if they ask, say your Gramps never slept on a mattress in his truck and that is who taught you to drive! DT can probably back you up on that one.

Dave

Lol! I have a rough idea....

i was driving a semi for the farm looonnnggggg before I got my drivers liscense, because of my grandpa, so I guess honesty is the best policy on that one! Lol

On 6/15/2017 at 3:30 PM, Big5er said:

Oh hell...DT is gonna have someone new to tell his stories to. :)

"Sit down son and let me tell ya. And this is all true stuff I'm making up...." :lol:

DT, just make sure you tell him the one about the bottle of Dr. Pepper additive. :blink:

Hay Bigger.....darn if there was not the cutest little Rattlesnake crossing the road just out of Lovelock this morning and I was able to wiggle the wheels around him and get stopped and trot back but darn if that darn snake refused to coil.......a lady pulled up to the Trolley and ask is that fool gonna get snake bit.....Dollymomma smiled and said heck no that snake won't bite that fool .....snakes have better taste....

Don't worry Phil we still have plenty of time to tickle a nice rattler into a Dr Pepper box and send it to you..... Remember....  Don't shake a Dr Pepper box...   

Drive on...... (Don't run over Phil's snake....)

PS we got to Bend today so in the next few days I can tell the tales of the latest adventures of the Dolly geezers..... Even a couple are true

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived