Dually Stem Extensions and TPMS

Hey folks...I am updating my dually with new stainless steel valve stems and adding a TireMinder TPMS (TM77 series unit).  the sensors screw right on the ends of the valve stems.  I will have the sensors on both the truck and the 5th wheels (triple axle) so I will be monitoring 12 tires.  On the truck my question is what is the BEST setup as far as extensions go for the inner rear wheels.  Flexible or all metal.  Your opinion on what is the most functional method with regards to service and minimum problems down the road.  Look forward to the feedback.  Also any feedback concerning the TireMinder system would also be appreciated.  Thanks again....

If I had my druthers, I would have extended metal valve stems.  My motorhome has some high quality flexible extended and I seem to have problem topping the tires off.  I am thinking some expansion inside the flexible extensions.  

Once I get the pressure where I want it, the TPMS sensor work okay.

Changing the inner valve stems is one of the projects for this fall.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Our TireMinder TPMS has alerted us twice to pending peril.  First was low pressure.  Since the tire was still at 65 psig I raised the rigg and spun the tire to see if there was a nail.  The screeching/clanking sound from the drum as the tire rotated turned us back to the town we just left.  Luck perhaps but without the alarm the brakes condition would no doubt have gotten worse.  Second time was high temperature on the Alcan after a long downhill.  We had pulled over for a break and were just saddling back up when it alarmed.  Checked the tire/drum and it was very hot.  Raised it up to see what was up and wound up pulling the drum to check the bearings.  Turns out a bearing seal went and grease got  all over the drum/shoe.  I though on this one latter and decided the latent heat rose after we stopped to increase the tires temperature to the point it alarmed.  I am a believer in a good TPMS.

I have tried a couple different extenders for the inner on our dulley and both worked fine.  Trick is to mount the wheels so that you can access the screw on transmitter.

Later,

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I have metal extensions. There is also a plastic sleeve that fits in one of the holes in the alum. wheel that helps stabilize the valve stem.  Even with this setup,  I have had the valve stem flex enuf that the TPMS sender unit strikes / marks the inside surface of the wheel.

Second trick is not to screw the sender unit on to the valve stem too tightly.  If you back it off just a little, it works better / does not loose the signal.

Archived