Retiredin1993

House approves bill creating more accountability at VA after string of scandals

7 posts in this topic

Ya, I watched Paul Ryan on TV last week, I was flabbergasted when he said he just learned about VA problems. How could anyone not know? It's been in the news for some years now.

But in another matter, President Trumps' proposed budget will eliminate benefits for some quarter million disabled veterans in order that other veterans can have access to choice.  Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul!  The rationale that another non veteran (Shulkin) uses is so senseless it's almost laughable if it weren't so damaging to the veterans who rely on their disability checks to make ends meet.

Wish I could remember the veteran site. I read that Shulkin had agreed with the petitions of Veterans and will not take any benefits from the Veterans! I believe it was from the AmVETS organization's website!

On 6/20/2017 at 1:32 PM, prplehearts said:

But in another matter, President Trumps' proposed budget will eliminate benefits for some quarter million disabled veterans in order that other veterans can have access to choice.  Talk about robbing Peter to pay Paul!  The rationale that another non veteran (Shulkin) uses is so senseless it's almost laughable if it weren't so damaging to the veterans who rely on their disability checks to make ends meet.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.  You have to be sort of careful here not to get into a political discussion. . . but I'm curious.  Can you cite an article that supports what you are saying?    

12 hours ago, Five Wood said:

Can you cite an article that supports what you are saying?    

Here is the aftermath.

https://www.stripes.com/news/va-backs-off-budget-proposal-to-cut-benefits-for-disabled-unemployable-vets-1.473551

When the proposal first came out, I read it to mean it targeted those who were getting disability because they could not work and were also getting social security because of age.  Some may call that double dipping, IDK.  Some may have felt the vets were living beyond their means if they needed both benefits to survive.   Never much detail in the news, only what the reporter/editors want people to know.   Regardless, it looks like the money will come from somewhere else.

We at AMVETS wanted to share the fantastic news that the proposal to stop IU payments to those who reached Social Security age has been termed "dead" by VA Secretary Shulkin, which he said after the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee hearing on the VA Budget yesterday. They are no longer coming after IU benefits to fund the Choice Program.

Thank you to the thousands of you who responded to our call to action, and wrote or called your members of Congress. On Monday of this week, nearly 60 members of the House of Representatives sent a signed letter to Secretary Shulkin decrying the outrageous idea to cut IU benefits to fund Choice.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, a team of AMVETS went to the offices of all 100 U.S. Senators and asked to talk with the person who handled veterans issues. They were provided the bipartisan House letter and this flyer. Many impromptu meetings were held, in addition to the many that we had scheduled, including with those on the Veterans Affairs Committee.  We want to specifically thank Senator Tester (D-MT) and Senator Heller (R-NV) for asking pointed questions on IU to the VA Secretary at the hearing, and standing strong for IU veterans.

We could not have done this without your support. Every office visited had heard from veterans and veteran advocates on this issue. We are proud of our AMVETS team! 

Here Is What I received from AMVETS,ORG, What i understood is it was Revoked, (DEAD)