Boondocking near west Yellowston, little big horn reenactment and Mt. Rushmore

ecrisco53

Any information about boondocking sites near Yellowstone (west entrance), near Battle or the Little Bighorn Reenactment (Crow Agency or Gerryowen, Montana) and Mt. Rushmore please let me know.  We are planning on going to these sites and on the road.  I don't have google wallet or paypal to order days end and I cannot get mail right now so I am asking for any input from anyone if they know of any places.  Thank you!

I have been to all three but am more familiar with the Mt Rushmore area. Rather than boondock you may look at Custer State Park. Their campsites are only $25 a day with electric. There are 8 or 9 campgrounds and most all sites have electric with water available next to the bath house to fill your tank. There is also a free dump station. You will need a State Park Pass but I think it is only $15 good for a week. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Welcome to the Escapee forums. We will do our best to help. 

Those are not easy places to get such campsites but the national forests nearest to each will have some places that could be used, if available. Your timing of the visit is also an important part of the probability of success. There are RV sites in Targhee Natl. Forest near Island Park, ID but that is about 30 miles from the west entrance of Yellowstone Park.  Big Springs campground (16 sites) is one of the few with RV sites. Near Gardiner, MT there are Canyon (17), Colter Campground (17), Eagle Creek (16), Soda Butte (27), Tom Minor (16) and two areas of disbursed camping. None of these sites accept reservations and all fill early in busy seasons.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am about ready to join you.  Well, in about 3 to 4 weeks anyway.  Yellowstone is first on the list. 

I am a bit confused.  You mentioned West Yellowstone and then mentioned Rushmore and other sites to the east.  Regardless, I don't worry much about boondocking sites.  I have always been a nervous traveling but I think I am finally getting past that.  I am sure I will find places to stay.  I might see you along the river towards Livingston.  I will definitely stop at the Boseman Walmart.  I am driving on ahead and will meet my wife at the Boseman airport. 

BTW, if you want to see something a bit different head for the potato fields in Idaho south of the west Yellowstone entrance.  There are some peaceful and beautiful camping areas in the forested areas west of Driggs.  Instead of the tourist areas, you can experience the back side of the Tetons.

I just saw Kirk Wood's post.  It is interesting that we see this so differently.    Kirk sees some places that could be used, if available and worries about the timing of your visit.  For me there are endless opportunities and great places to stay.  Maybe the difference is distance.  Trying to stay at the park entrances will be limiting.  Staying an hour or two away will give you endless opportunities.  The biggest difference is hookups.  You mentioned boondocking so I assume you are not in need of hookups.  That opens up unlimited possibilities.

North of West Yellowstone is boondocking at Bakers Hole, not free-$16/night. In conflict with that website, I never heard highway noise while we were there for a week. At the time we traveled in a 40' 5er towed with a LB, CC, dually, the roads were tight but doable. We did not make reservations, don't even know if a reservation is possible.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, JimK said:

Kirk sees some places that could be used, if available and worries about the timing of your visit. 

Not all national forests allow anyone to just stop anywhere and Yellowstone Park area is very busy at the height of the season. Island Park, ID isn't exactly next door to the park and usually has some openings, but not always. Nothing wrong with differing opinions, but ....................

I have spent a lot of time in the Yellowstone area, having lived in WY for 18 years and spending all summer in Island Park, ID a few years ago. If you happen to be in the park at busy times it will not just be difficult to find campsites but you will also find very large crowds at the major attractions and there may be difficulty finding parking near them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

13 hours ago, ecrisco53 said:

...Any information about boondocking sites near Yellowstone (west entrance),..

First, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

Second, what do you mean by boondocking? Free? No designated campsite? No, hookups (dry camping)?

What type and what size rig you have can make a big difference in your ability to access Forest Service campgrounds (many of which now charge even for no hookup sites) or areas open to dispersed camping/vehicle camping/boondocking. I believe, some of the folks responding to this thread have pickup campers or small B or C motorhomes. So, there are many more areas accessible to them than to those with large Motorhomes, larger 5th wheels and larger travel trailers.

Some of the campgrounds mentioned like Eagle Creek are not well suited to large RVs. The gravel Forest Road to this campground is steep as are several spots along this same road where vehicle camping has been permitted in the past. The Forest Camping Guide is a great resource for information about Forest Service campgrounds. If you have a larger RV, pay close attention to the notes about pad size, turn arounds and access road conditions. Satellite maps like Google Earth can also reveal a lot about potential sites.

The rules for vehicle camping such as where it is permitted, how far from the traveled portion of the road your RV can be located, and other regulations are different for every Forest and can change as often as every year. The rules do not have to be posted on the ground. You are responsible for knowing them and abiding by them. These rules are published in the Travel Map and Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM). You will need a current copy which can be obtained from the Forest's offices. Some may be available online at this website. Also try the individual Forest's website as they may be available there but not listed in the main Forest Service website.

There are also seven first come first serve campgrounds in Yellowstone. They are dry camping and do charge a fee. Some do not permit generator use. If my memory serves me correctly Slough Creek is not all that big rig friendly and Tower Campground has a very tight turn and a recommended size limit.

Again, welcome to the Escapees Forum!

There must be a dozen campgrounds within 20 miles of West Yellowstone.  I am sure you are correct and many of them fill in the peak of summer.  Arriving late could be disappointing.  Anyway, the OP mentioned looking for boondocking opportunities.  I don't want to jinx my upcoming trip, but there are endless opportunities for boondocking.  There are also plenty of private places that will take your money and fit you in although you might not get any hookups.

If things get tight, I have stopped at visitor centers, gas stations, or stores and asked for suggestions.  Yellowstone is an exception but for many national parks the campground hosts can direct you to private or overflow campgrounds.  Even the local police department can help. 

As mentioned, Bakers Hole a Forest Service C/G with some dry sites and some with power, along with dispersed water. There is National Forest dispersed camping off US 20 west of West Yellowstone in Island Park. Turn right on to Red Rock Rd. then bear right on to Boot Jack RD. and there numerous spots there. Another place is Fremont County Park and boat ramp on Henry's Lake. By donation and big long sites. US 20 to RT 87, approx. 5 miles turn left and go around Henry's Lake, at end of pavement turn left into park. At the intersection of US 20 and RT 87 it is approx. 13 miles to the west gate of YNP. Don't be in a hurry, it is snowing here as I type this and we are parked about a mile form the US 20 and RT 87

I hope you'll be in the Yellowstone area well before or well after August 21, the date of the total solar eclipse!

While Yellowstone itself isn't in the path, Grand Tetons NP is, so the area is certain to be packed with people!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived