Add 2" receiver for bike rack to top of Riser shank?

jpcoll01

I have a 31' Btouring Cruiser towing a Jeep Wrangler unlimited with a roadmaster tow bar and NSA readybrake on top of a Roadmaster 10" rise extension rated at 400lbs tongue weight.  I currently have my bikes on the back of the jeep with a Yakima swingaway hitch rack and a 4" drop extension to avoid the spare tire, but that is pretty inconvenient when we unhook and want to head on some trails and I'd like to have them on the back of the RV (talking about at least 3 bikes sometimes 4).  With my current setup there is very little tongue weight on my hitch as the tow bar puts very little downward force.  Just looking for opinions on options here.  One would be a front hitch for the e450, but that might restrict airflow and cause overheating.  Another, and one I am heavily considering, is to find an ace welder to put an additional weld-on 2" receiver on the top of my Roadmster 10" rise extension.  I'd guess all together my bikes and rack are 120lbs (three aluminum mountain bikes and the yakima rack).  I have a call in to a welder in Durango, co that has a good local reputation so will see what he says.  Any feedback appreciated.

what would be nice would be irons coming up off of hitch on each side of your current reciever to make a boxed i n solid frame for the bike hitch to plug into or have straps coming down to bumper to keep an added extension from trying to to flop from side to side although my motorcycle that I have about a 6" drop on works just fine with the adapter that slides on hitch and clamps against the side of reciever, My bike weighs 300 lbs. Cost wise a ratchet strap from top of reciever out to the ends of your bumper would work fine.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Called around and a couple different places in town told me about a master welder about an hour away so I headed to Tractor Supply for a weld on receiver and out to his house. The end result is pretty impressive I think. Plate steel boxed in for strength feels more than adequate for a couple bikes. Link to this end result in my google drive. Will prime and paint when I get home in a month. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6SoIjpQXE2xVWp4LWpIeU1UQU0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6SoIjpQXE2xcHVkSUlfbG1iYk0

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Archived