How to winterize a 5th wheel?

Velos

We have never had to "winterize" an RV in our 30+ years of RVing as the weather was moderate where we lived and when we retired full-timed following the sun. This winter we will be leaving it in the mountains. The historical temperatures for the area have average lows in the 20's from late November thru March. It is in an RV park that does have several year round residents and a neighbor offered to keep an eye on it but we want to prepare it so he won't have anything to do.

I have reviewed the owners manual  and also found this YouTube How To Winterize and RV or Camper with Antifreeze.

1. Will disconnecting the batteries be sufficient? We have a disconnect switch that we have used in the past when we have left the rig unattended for a week or so but this will be for a couple of months. 
  2. Slides in our out?
  3. How to keep mice, squirrels and the like from getting in?  ie moth balls in storage compartments?
  4. We will have access to power and wondering whether or not to leave a ceramic heater (ie a Vornado brand with Auto shut off and tip over shut off features) on low inside?
  5. Cupboard doors opened or closed?
  6. How do you winterize
    1. a washing machine,
    2. residential frig ice maker
    3. or dishwasher?

Any suggestions, tips or tricks appreciated. Thanks.

5 hours ago, jmserafin said:

Will disconnecting the batteries be sufficient?

If it were me, I'd lift the negative cable from the battery as well.

Slides in our out?

In.

• How to keep mice, squirrels and the like from getting in?

I have found it takes far too many moth balls and they slowly stop working. I packed steel wool around the entry for the power cord and filled any other openings that we not tight with an expanding foam.

and with Auto shut off and tip over shut off features) on low inside?

Can't hurt but if you have drained the water heater and antifreeze in the plumbing, you shouldn't need to. Of course if you plan to leave any canned goods in the RV you will need to do so as freezing will make them leak. You should then leave cabinet doors open.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You'll find winterizing instruction for Splende washer/dryer combo on their website. I discourage just blowing out the lines with compressed air, as you'll never blow it all out, use Rv antifreeze, and bypass the water heater, what little water remains in the water heater and fresh water tank after draining will not harm them.

That's all I have to add to previous recommendations.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

re: RV anti-freeze. I watch local big-box hardware store adds and buy a 6 gallon case for $1.99 per gallon. One case winterized our 5er for 3 years after I learned the most efficient method for our particular 5er.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Beside winterizing the rig as suggested, I recommend considering a method for snow removal on the roof. Either you have your neighbor do it when needed or create a tent type arrangement so the snow slides off.

Just a thought - after seeing one get crunched from this past winter's "splendor".

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, clark261 said:

You can winterize your RV on your own with compressed air. This is by far the most straightforward method for ensuring that your RV is totally dry. To get started, you'll need a blowout plug and an air compressor.

This is the method I use also.  I do not agree with your second sentence though.  This doesn't get all the water out though.  There will still be water in the line between the fresh water tank and pump, in the pump, and in the line between the pump and the main house lines.