Personal Protection

As my wife and I look forward to boondocking in some remote places, we've both confessed a concern about our personal security when far from civilization. We know that many full-timers carry a handgun that they can access if they feel threatened when calling for help isn't really an option. Maybe we've seen too many movies or read too many suspense novels, but there are bad people out there who might find a couple of retired RVers in the wilderness to be easy prey.

So, here's the question:
-FOR THOSE WHO CARRY: Have you ever had a time when RVing when you've felt the need to take out your gun for defense, even if you didn't have to shoot it? What happened?

-FOR THOSE WHO DON'T CARRY: Have you ever been in a remote setting and felt you were in danger from other human beings, and wished you had a gun for personal protection? How did it turn out?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are loaded questions..... pun intended.  Here is my mixed answer.... If it's at night and my door is closed, if someone knocks on it here is generally what happens....

Dog Barks

I retrieve a weapon of choice from a favorable location based on when I was.... in bed, in the livingroom recliner, etc.  I then turn on the outside light and look thru the side window.  If I cannot see your face and hands, I don't open the door.... period.  If I see blood, I'll call 911 for you and you can sit on the steps, but you ain't coming in.   The area of the nation we are from had too many home invasions, And many of them ended badly for the homeowners.

The only time that I have felt truly threatened was on a hiking trail.... Stepped over a fallen tree and there was a rattlesnake longer than I am tall, about as big around as my upper arm and enough rattles that he just BUZZED.  Stepping backward over a tree wasn't the easiest task with him slowly coiling himself.   I lived, he lived.....Didn't hike that trail any more....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

10 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

As my wife and I look forward to boondocking in some remote places, we've both confessed a concern about our personal security when far from civilization. We know that many full-timers carry a handgun that they can access if they feel threatened when calling for help isn't really an option. Maybe we've seen too many movies or read too many suspense novels, but there are bad people out there who might find a couple of retired RVers in the wilderness to be easy prey.

So, here's the question:
-FOR THOSE WHO CARRY: Have you ever had a time when RVing when you've felt the need to take out your gun for defense, even if you didn't have to shoot it? What happened?

-FOR THOSE WHO DON'T CARRY: Have you ever been in a remote setting and felt you were in danger from other human beings, and wished you had a gun for personal protection? How did it turn out?

Dunellen (NJ????)...I travel solo and have thought about this same issue for many, many months. I first looked at small travel trailers but decided on a Class B. Should I perceive a threat or am just uncomfortable, I can jump in the drivers seat and move on. I have a couple of big dogs with me when I tent camp and only camp in campgrounds so feel somewhat safe. For extensive future travel will buy a new B. Solves the gun problem for me!

We have never been in a situation where we felt threatened by people to that degree - but we don't boondock on BLM lands, etc. While camp hosting in the Blue Ridge Mountains, there were bears. The the 9mm I would normally carry won't stop one of them, anyway (bear spray is the best bet, there). My firearms are in storage because of the above and due to the fact that we stay on military facilities whenever possible. Policies vary from facility to facility; some allow personal weapons if declared, others don't allow them at all. The penalties for violating those policies can include loosing our privileges to stay on the latter (and worse). 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Been a lot of places I should have felt threatened but wasn't, like walking a trail while it was raining and finding a Bear paw print that was just starting to fill with water or being inside a railroad tunnel and hearing strange sounds.

I have felt threatened by snakes because normally I don't see them till to I'm passing, I have been in a large proper shopping mall and felt threatened because I felt I didn't blend in.

Actually I like some kind of obstruction always available whether it a walking stick or a surprise. If I don't feel comfortable maybe a taking a picture with a cell phone may reveal something. ( that statement has raised issues before.)

Clay.  .

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

11 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

Have you ever been in a remote setting and felt you were in danger from other human beings, and wished you had a gun for personal protection? How did it turn out?

We have been campers in tents since my youth and owned RVs since 1972. In our family rearing days, we spent most of our time in forest service campgrounds or in very remote areas, towing a pop-up with a 4WD vehicle. Once or twice I have gotten nervous about some nearby drinking parties, but never once has there been anything resulting from that. More recently we have been RV only campers and seldom stay in remote areas but do occasionally stop in a parking lot or small park but never have we felt threatened. You are far safer when camped far out in the most remote of areas than you are when you spend time in any major city. 

As one who has owned firearms of some type since I was 12 years old, and one who has previously been a firearms instructor as my eldest son is today, I am very reluctant to advise anyone to carry a firearm solely for reasons of protection. If you do, I do not recommend a pistol but a far better choice is a shotgun for many reasons. I used to shoot competitively and I know that to shoot well on paper requires frequent practice, and paper targets never threaten the shooter! In addition, any bullet large enough to stop a person will pass through an RV wall and into the RV next door if you miss your target. Even LEO's are not at their most controlled in a life threatening event and sometimes miss. Our son who teaches the NRA, Home Defense course recommends that you fire a minimum of 20 rounds per month to stay proficient with a handgun. 

A shotgun round will not pass into your neighbor's RV and is just as effective in protection. Your best protection is to not stay in places that you are fearful or nervous. Consider how you would feel if you were to accidentally shoot some innocent person. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Only once when deep in grizzly bear territory with no one for miles around.
I started the propane generator (our's is very loud) just to mark our presence.

Never felt the need anywhere in the boonies - including the US Mexican border areas.

Remote places are the safest.  The bad guys don't have gas money to get there - so they stay in the urban areas.
Besides, most of those RV'ers have guns.  Don't go near them.

;)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Sawed off with pistol grip pump 12 guage. Just the sound of chunking that round will send a theif away. Stays beside my sweet little wife's side at night. Need I state when I come home early from work, I call ahead. ? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

27 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

...A shotgun round will not pass into your neighbor's RV...Consider how you would feel if you were to accidentally shoot some innocent person... 

I would not be so sure of that. Look at these videos of buckshot penetrating a steel entry door and #5 shot penetrating a steel door. I feel pretty confident that given the maximum distance one can actually be from a wall in all but the largest RVs, it is very likely that either the buckshot or 5 shot would at the very least exit the RV.

If penetration is your concern, frangible ammunition like that carried by the Air Marshals is an alternative.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

12 hours ago, DunellenGuy said:

No.  And we pretty much exclusively boondock.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

For advice regarding the use of firearms in self defense, read some of the material written by a former cop by the name of Massad Ayoob. He talks as much about defusing situations as he does anything else. Remember, displaying a pistol or revolver in your hand is provocative - keep it in your pocket or in the holster until you feel compelled to use it. A rifle or shotgun can be carried openly without necessarily appearing menacing.

SKP# 136386

Have only been full timing for a little over two years.  Have not experienced any real defense situations yet.  The link below will take you to a good write up on defense while in your RV.

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

Safe Travels.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

We fulltimed 2012-2014 and then weekend warriored it after that and never have had an incident that warranted drawing a weapon.  We did not carry then because we knew we wanted to enter and leave Canada and Mexico from different entry and exit points and didnt want to have to deal with storing it.  We now fulltime again and we do carry a shotgun but it is also for fun (clay shooting).  We do alot of remote camping and people ask if it feels safe.  If you think of it, the probability of someone bothering you in the middle of nowhere is much less than in a crowded environment, just due to the lack of population.  And in crowded environments you usually have quick access to police and emergency services.  So I say, if you are comfortable bringing a self defense weapon, then bring one.  If not, then dont.  There is almost no chance you'll need it.

We were near New Orleans where I was working at a refinery. Nights 13 nights and 1 off. RV park within a few miles of us had a police officer executed in it. Those people that done this were staying in that park. We have not been without protection ever since. Have to admit rough area but my jobs takes us to these places sometimes. This crime started in our job parking lot. Shoot out there. Cops injured. Cop follow to RV park and got 2 to come out while third went out back window. Came up behind cop. Put gun to back of head, ordered him to his knees and killed him. I know cop mistake going in alone. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I carry a handgun but in my RV I prefer a shotgun. I also have a 357 loaded with shot in the RV. I want my shot to stop at my wall and not go into the RV next to me. I would also not open the door until I know who is outside and their intentions. As far as having a handgun in your RV when you are parked  and not moving down the road your RV is an extension of your home and no permit is required. The Supream Court has already ruled on this. No campground, except those on a military base can prevent you from having a weapon in your home. Even National Parks are now required to allow you to have a weapon in your RV. But you do need a permit to carry if you take it outside with you. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 6/11/2017 at 9:38 AM, Kirk Wood said:

We have been campers in tents since my youth and owned RVs since 1972. In our family rearing days, we spent most of our time in forest service campgrounds or in very remote areas, towing a pop-up with a 4WD vehicle. Once or twice I have gotten nervous about some nearby drinking parties, but never once has there been anything resulting from that. More recently we have been RV only campers and seldom stay in remote areas but do occasionally stop in a parking lot or small park but never have we felt threatened. You are far safer when camped far out in the most remote of areas than you are when you spend time in any major city. 

As one who has owned firearms of some type since I was 12 years old, and one who has previously been a firearms instructor as my eldest son is today, I am very reluctant to advise anyone to carry a firearm solely for reasons of protection. If you do, I do not recommend a pistol but a far better choice is a shotgun for many reasons. I used to shoot competitively and I know that to shoot well on paper requires frequent practice, and paper targets never threaten the shooter! In addition, any bullet large enough to stop a person will pass through an RV wall and into the RV next door if you miss your target. Even LEO's are not at their most controlled in a life threatening event and sometimes miss. Our son who teaches the NRA, Home Defense course recommends that you fire a minimum of 20 rounds per month to stay proficient with a handgun. 

A shotgun round will not pass into your neighbor's RV and is just as effective in protection. Your best protection is to not stay in places that you are fearful or nervous. Consider how you would feel if you were to accidentally shoot some innocent person. 

Hear Hear! Anyones best protection is between their ears.

Dunellenguy,

The part about taking out a weapon is a no-no, unless you have already made the decision to shoot to end a persons life. Simply pointing a weapon at another person is a felony in many states.

If you decide to carry a weapon, KNOW THE LAWS concerning doing so. There is a great book you  must read prior to making the decision to carry a gun: In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad F. Ayoob

History; one of the members here had their MH broken into. He arrived back at the MH just in time to be confronted by the burglar, who was holding his own handgun.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Stupid for not securing his gun.

If only someone was carrying on the London Bridge last week or in all of the places where bad guys know are gun free. I will always carry! Soon we will be allowed to carry legally in every state. Bad guys do target remote places, so protect yourself. Bad guys will never give up their weapons. EVER!

I got it, call 911 you'll be all set, Right?

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

10 hours ago, Twotoes said:

As far as having a handgun in your RV when you are parked  and not moving down the road your RV is an extension of your home and no permit is required. The Supream Court has already ruled on this.

Be very careful giving legal advice unless you are a lawyer.

IIRC, CT claims out of state residents who stop in the state (overnight or longer) have no rights to keep a gun.  I do not travel into New England anymore so it doesn't matter to me.  But if I did, I would read and carry the most current edition of this;  http://www.glensoutdoors.com/travelers-guide-to-the-firearm-laws-of-the-fifty-states-2015.html?gclid=CKDkjoHputQCFRY7gQodfOoBHg  

I am a lawyer. The Supream Court Case is Heller v District of Columbia. It is valid in all 50 states. It only address a weapon in your home. It does not address concealed carry. The Court ruled that you do not need a permit to have a weapon in your home. Previous courts have ruled that your motorhome or even a tent, if being used to live in ( sleeping in it fulfills the living part) is an extension of your home. It is NOT however applied on military bases that have campgrounds. It is applied in National Parks. A private owned campground can have a rule that no weapons are allowed just like as a homeowner you can have a rule that no weapons are allowed in your home. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

As stated above, to the gun owners that carry, are you really prepared to pull your gun and use it to kill another person and remain in control. They told me in CHL class that if you shoot a bullet at another person, you own that bullet and it's consequences for the rest of your life. I have never carried for that reason and don't desire to be a hero. If someone else pull's a gun, I will become the fastest sprinter the world has ever seen and will let the hero's left behind shoot it out. I only see a gun making most situations worse, situation awareness is a better defense for me. My guns stay under the bed and are mostly for sentimental value.

Greg

51 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I am a lawyer. The Supream Court Case is Heller v District of Columbia

If you're going to play lawyer, you might want to learn how to spell Supreme Court. :P

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Sorry Greg but there are no hero's in a shoot out. Only survivors and the others. I've been carrying on and off duty for 30+ years. The answer to your first question is YES. There are plenty of people out there that would not hesitate to do it to you for no reason what-so-ever. You need to be prepared with a plan. I am not saying that using a gun needs to be the first step in your plan but if running is the ONLY step in your plan, your plan is very lacking. I have no problem with a plan that includes running but it needs a few more steps because you can not sprint at 1200 feet per second. The choice is yours, stand up or lay down. 

My life and that of my family and friends come FIRST...period. My property comes next, and yes, my car, my truck, my rims and my television are all more valuable than a thief. 

Teen pleads guilty to shooting compliant clerk in robbery

1 Dead, 3 Shot After Attempted Robbery at San Antonio Mall

Bystander Shot In Robbery Attempt During South Loop Carjacking

Attempted armed robbery, possible shooting happen just minutes apart

2 teens arrested in Denny's, IHOP robbery, shooting spree

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Big5er, Could only add that I will and have protected my little dogs too. Shot a pitbull that came on my property and grabbed my dog. No hesitation here. Saved her life. I was also able to sue the pitbulls owner and won. In MA. of all places.

National CCW is coming soon. It will pass even with many DEM's on board, especially from southern states. Why not, you can drive in every state and its not even a right. Cars have killed far more than licensed CCW holders.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Big5er gave some good advice. IF you are going to have a gun, know how to use it SAFELY, and practice with it. If you are going to carry, then you need to practice a lot. And you need to consider if you are willing and able to use it. Otherwise, DO NOT carry it.  Wise people know their limitations and abilities and work with them. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived