AC in a Sprinter

Blaze

I'm planning my visit to a couple of conversion companies to up-fit a Sprinter and am struggling with my choice of AC's. I'm most familiar with the roof mounted units. However, there is a company called, Danhard making AC's mounted inside the vehicle. I'm not quite sure about the technical aspects of how they work are mounted and don't much care! As long as I can "push a button" and it cools, I'm good. My question  is are they reliable, hard to service, easily replaced, long lasting? I understand that they are very expensive and that may or may not be an issue in my planning. Anyone out there have this product?

1 hour ago, Blaze said:

However, there is a company called, Danhard making AC's mounted inside the vehicle. I'm not quite sure about the technical aspects of how they work are mounted and don't much care!

As I read the Danhard website, it looks as though those are 12V-DC air conditioners and if so they probably require the engine to be running in order for them to cool. On the other hand, the RV roof mounted air conditioners operate on 120V-AC and they need either shore power or an onboard generator to supply power. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

29 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

As I read the Danhard website, it looks as though those are 12V-DC air conditioners and if so they probably require the engine to be running in order for them to cool. On the other hand, the RV roof mounted air conditioners operate on 120V-AC and they need either shore power or an onboard generator to supply power. 

That would not work for me. I wasn't able to find much info on line but when I visit the conversion companies, I'll be sure to discuss this in detail. Thanks for that info.

we used some in our surveillance vans, they were 8,000 btu units but they only lasted about 2 hours on the inverters.   

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

14 hours ago, steved44 said:

we used some in our surveillance vans, they were 8,000 btu units but they only lasted about 2 hours on the inverters.   

The up fitters for the Sprinters use many innovations fueled by the diesel tank. I wonder if there's an AC that burns diesel. Better that I check the conversion guys. I'll wait out this northeast heat wave then  go visit these folks.

Another AC question...will the Sprinter AC cool the entire van while driving? Are their vents going to the back of the van?

Thanks

My Sprinters had roof air. We ran them off our batteries when driving. I had enough solar on the roof to run them at bit to cool off the rig on hot days when boondocking. You don't need them at night in the desert in the winter because it cools down rapidly at night. Ours had front and rear vents where you could direct the flow.

I know nothing about the Danforth brand but the portable units I have seen take up part of your limited floor space and have to be either emptied regularly or have a drain hose leading outside somehow. You'd also have to tie it down for travel.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived