WiFi Ranger speeds

Am running a WiFi Ranger Sky2 in our fifth wheel for multiple connections.  Our source internet connection is through a cell phone hotspot.  

When I check the speed through speedtest.net I get the following:  

Cell phone: 16mb download 16mb upload

Laptop through Ranger:  2.5mb download 1.5mb upload

Laptop connected to hot spot: 12mb download 12mb upload

Any idea why the slower speeds when connected to the Ranger?  I have checked the settings and cannot find any reason for the difference.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

Are you making the connections by Wifi? If so, every hop will result in some loss of speed. Laptop to hotspot requires one transmission and reception. I am guessing that the Laptop to the Sky2  is a Wifi connection and from the hotspot to the Sky2 is another Wifi connection resulting in two transmission/reception cycles. If you can connect the laptop to the Sky2 by Ethernet and/or tether the hotspot to the Sky2; you should see faster speeds on the laptop. If you can do both, that should give you the best speed for the equipment in use. 

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I have the WiFiRanger mini and Sky2. I am running a Mobley unlimited hot spot with AT&T. Last month used 45GB with no slow down.

I just ran test on my Desktop from Mobley hot spot & got 16.2--18.0Mbps

Desktop from WiFiRanger wireless I got 2.8-10.4Mbps. But the WiFiRanger is also hooked To a Laptop, Blue Ray player, Smart TV and a iPad.

So I don't know how much they were using at the same time when I did the test.

I also just ran my iPhone on Sprint LTE unlimited and got 59.23Mbps down and 7.40Mbps up. But only have 3GB hot spot on it. :(

No matter I have had no problem streaming on any combination used.

TCW..The WiFiRanger(Router) & Sky2(Roof Antenna) are hard wired together.

OH!! The campground Free WiFi is 686Kbps. Still usable for FB video. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Hi ewacowboy:

You definitely have a problem; going through the Ranger shouldn't produce anywhere near that kind of speed reduction.   Is your Ranger updated to the latest firmware version?  You're not trying to run SafeSurf on the Ranger are you?  I assume you've tried rebooting the Ranger?

If there's nothing obviously wrong, then open a trouble ticket at WFR and get some additional help.  It sounds as if there is a device conflict somewhere.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 1 month later...

Your speed on WiFi is going to be governed by the speed of the internet connection that the router you are hitting with the WiFiRanger is connected to. A 3mb connection is a 3mb connection no matter how you reach it. By the same token, a 12mb connection is a 12mb connection, and so forth. Your WiFiRanger isn't going to speed up the connection. It will just let you find a wireless router from further away,

So, if your proximity to a tower is such that you can get that speed, and the wifi router you are hitting is connected to a slower internet connection, those numbers bear out. 

If you don't have the app on your phone called Network Cell Info Lite, I suggest you get it. That will give you a decibel reading of the signal strength available. The closer to 0 you are, the stronger your signal. For example, as I sit here at home on my couch, my cell signal is -110db. That is good for 2 bars. My wifi signal (and I am 20 feet from my router) is -55. SO, since -55 is closer to 0 than -110, my wifi signal is stronger than my cell signal.

But, I also have 70mb down cable internet. That has nothing to do with my signal strength though, as that, again, is all proximity based. 

Key point here is that your Ranger is not going to increase your speed. It will only allow you to connect to a wifi router further away from you. The speed is completely dependent on the internet connection on the other side of that router.

On 6/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, docj said:

Hi ewacowboy:

You definitely have a problem; going through the Ranger shouldn't produce anywhere near that kind of speed reduction.   Is your Ranger updated to the latest firmware version?  You're not trying to run SafeSurf on the Ranger are you?  I assume you've tried rebooting the Ranger?

If there's nothing obviously wrong, then open a trouble ticket at WFR and get some additional help.  It sounds as if there is a device conflict somewhere.

Joel (AKA docj)

Did I read her post wrong? She is comparing her cell connection to a wifi connection. If the wifi connection she is finding is connected to a 3mb down internet connection, and she is sitting right on top of a tower, those speeds bear out.

No, she's comparing the speed through the Ranger compared to direct connection to the hotspot.  I don't see anything wrong with her comparisons.  There's always some speed loss when using the Ranger but what's being reported isn't normal.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Archived