Disperse Campsites in Los Padres N.F. ( North), in California

Hendo 10

My girlfriend and I will be disperse camping (boondocking) in our travel trailer near Fort Hunter - Liggett in the Los Padres National Forest (North) at the end of June. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I would like to be as close to Lake Nacimiento and/or Lake San Antonio  as possible. Any information on areas to camp, dump stations, potable water, activities, day trips, things to see or general suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have and use most of the camping/travel apps but nothing beats local knowledge and/or personal experiences.

Thanks in Advance,

Hendo

Thanks rynosback,

There are a few different names for it. I guess I went with what was fresh in my mind after talking with the BLM and U.S. Forest folks. I'm a first time using on this. I'll catch on to the preferred lingo quickly, I hope. 

Hendo

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

What you are asking about is vehicle/car/RV camping in other than designated campgrounds. The rules regarding this activity vary from Forest to Forest and can change as often as every year. So, where or what someone did last year or two years ago may not be permitted now. The current rules are published in the current Travel Map and Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for the individual Forest and include such things as which roads are open to this activity and how far a vehicle can be from the traveled portion of the road. These maps are available from the Forest's Ranger Stations and may also be available online.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

7 hours ago, Hendo 10 said:

Thanks rynosback,

There are a few different names for it. I guess I went with what was fresh in my mind after talking with the BLM and U.S. Forest folks. I'm a first time using on this. I'll catch on to the preferred lingo quickly, I hope. 

Hendo

No problem, I just thought I would say that as others might not know what you meant either.  Best of luck finding a spot that meets your needs.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

The Los Padres is a urban forest. As such, they have greater restrictions than most National Forests out west. Call the Ranger District and ask them about dispersed camping opportunities. Whatever, you do don't ask about boondocking they won't have a clue!! While your at it ask about road conditions and their length of stay policy.

Looking at their web site it appears there are lots of closures as result of the fires and slides.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

This may help...

http://www.hikelospadres.com/

Also, I came across a blog post a little while back that highly recommended a boondocking location overlooking the ocean from a point high above highway 1. I cant remember the blogger but I put the location on my Google map for future reference. I hope this link will get you there. 

Dropped Pin
https://goo.gl/maps/SaBwzvQJ3iN2

35.984450, -121.468029

Apparently it is close to a designated FS campground called Alms Campground which the blooger didn't seem very enthused about.

SKP# 136386

Archived