lappir

Coming home on a 4 lane road today, following a pair of flat bed trailers running right at the speed limit, or a little less. I notice the brake lights come on for the trailing rig at the bottom of a small hill, just before an equally small upgrade. There is at least 4 X the length of the rig between the first and second truck, so there was no obvious reason for the slow down. Didn't notice the first truck flashing it's brake lights. I have seen this multiple times in the past where brakes appear to be activated just before the start of a climb and for the life of me I do not understand why. Anyone care to educate me?

Thanks,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Good point.  Or, depending upon the model truck, he's using a tap of the brake to down shift.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

This is what happens to me.  I have the cruise control set to 65 and go down a hill.  The speed picks up and the jake will not come on until I hit 75.  In my case, I tap the clutch (not the brake) when the speed picks up and the jake comes on.  These new trucks might be a two-pedal and the brake or the cruise switch is the only way to get the jake to turn on and slow the beast down.  The brake just seems an easier option than cutting off the cruise and having to reset it rather than a "resume" after hitting the brake. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

4 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

This is what happens to me.  I have the cruise control set to 65 and go down a hill.  The speed picks up and the jake will not come on until I hit 75.  In my case, I tap the clutch (not the brake) when the speed picks up and the jake comes on.  These new trucks might be a two-pedal and the brake or the cruise switch is the only way to get the jake to turn on and slow the beast down.  The brake just seems an easier option than cutting off the cruise and having to reset it rather than a "resume" after hitting the brake. 

Do you have it set to come on at 75??  My cruise is generally set on 'A'.  The brake cruise in my case is set at 2-3 mph over cruise so once it starts to speed up and hits 2 or 3 over the engine brake takes hold and brings me back down to whatever speed I have cruise set for.

Your dash will say  'cruise is 47' and

below it it will say   ' brake cruise 49'

The brake cruise is adjusted up and down by the little  rocker switch on the small stalk rt side of the wheel.  I think minimum over is 2 mph and you can go up from there.

Example, coming down the 221 into Prosser Washington from the South, there is a long grade about 6%.  I set the cruise on 'A' at 47mph and the brake cruise at 49.  Foot off the brake and accelerator and let the truck do its job.  Speed runs up to 49 and the brake cuts in and yanks you back to 47, speeds up to 49 then back to 47, all the way down the hill just under 5 miles. 

It makes me realize what a good decision getting this monster is.....let 'em laugh, no brake fade or smoking front brakes here.

But maybe you already knew this......

2 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Do you have it set to come on at 75??  My cruise is generally set on 'A'.  The brake cruise in my case is set at 2-3 mph over cruise so once it starts to speed up and hits 2 or 3 over the engine brake takes hold and brings me back down to whatever speed I have cruise set for.

Your dash will say  'cruise is 47' and

below it it will say   ' brake cruise 49'

The brake cruise is adjusted up and down by the little  rocker switch on the small stalk rt side of the wheel.  I think minimum over is 2 mph and you can go up from there.

Example, coming down the 221 into Prosser Washington from the South, there is a long grade about 6%.  I set the cruise on 'A' at 47mph and the brake cruise at 49.  Foot off the brake and accelerator and let the truck do its job.  Speed runs up to 49 and the brake cuts in and yanks you back to 47, speeds up to 49 then back to 47, all the way down the hill just under 5 miles. 

It makes me realize what a good decision getting this monster is.....let 'em laugh, no brake fade or smoking front brakes here.

But maybe you already knew this......

What year is your truck? I don't have the option of a "Brake Cruise" setting that I know of. My truck is a 2001 three pedal autoshift.

Usually the trucks I see with the brakes on when getting ready to climb the next hill are Swift, JBHunt, and Snyder, so they are most likely "company" drivers. Maybe they get into trouble for the 3 to 5 mph over the speed limit they might be going when they hit the brake. I have always wondered and now maybe I know a few reasons why.

Thanks,

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I am the same as Lappir, '01 three pedal autoshift.  My dash says nothing.  I do get a CC on the left panel to let me know when the cruise is set.  Then I can select 2,4, or 6 cylinder exhaust brake.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

On 6/10/2017 at 6:32 AM, lappir said:

What year is your truck? I don't have the option of a "Brake Cruise" setting that I know of. My truck is a 2001 three pedal autoshift.

Usually the trucks I see with the brakes on when getting ready to climb the next hill are Swift, JBHunt, and Snyder, so they are most likely "company" drivers. Maybe they get into trouble for the 3 to 5 mph over the speed limit they might be going when they hit the brake. I have always wondered and now maybe I know a few reasons why.

Thanks,

Rod

So many times over the speed. And there bonus is knocked out. so those company drivers try to always get that bonus. But the company has for the most part. made it hard to get every time.

Pete

event.png

On June 9, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

New trucks?  I wonder if the integrated adaptive cruise control engine brake activates the brake lights when slowing more than a set amount of speed?

My brake lights don't activate when my Jake activates during cruise braking. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

On June 10, 2017 at 7:07 AM, NeverEasy said:

I am the same as Lappir, '01 three pedal autoshift.  My dash says nothing.  I do get a CC on the left panel to let me know when the cruise is set.  Then I can select 2,4, or 6 cylinder exhaust brake.

With the adaptive cruise on the Detroit DD12 transmission you can set it at 3,5 or no limit and the engine brake automatically controls your speed as set but it does not activate my brake lights. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Archived