Shower or not to shower!!!

Macodiva

Hi,

First time i've posted anything! Just looking for some opinions, as they say in psychology there's no right or wrong answer, we're all different :)

So eventually i'll be getting on the road, i'm planning on traveling all over the US, me & my dog, lots of state parks ect.

I'm still open to change but have mostly made my mind up on a Sprinter. My main question is should i be getting a van complete with shower, grey & black water tanks ect. As i'd be living full time in it i'm thinking a bathroom is kind of a necessity, but as money isn't falling off trees maybe i should compromise and be looking at van conversions without the bathroom? Is a shower really worth the extra $20,000 price tag :o

Those of you that don't have the bathroom what do you do? Those of you that do do you really use it? 

I've also been checking out buying a van then paying a company to fit it with what i want. However from the few i've looked at it seems as if the price would pretty much come up to the price of a pre-fitted used one.... I assume equal weight distribution would be a factor if i was to 'build my own'.

Well i'll leave it at that for now but i'm sure i'll be back with many more questions over the coming weeks. ;)

Thanks

I wouldn't want to get out in bad weather to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You can plan showers, but potty stops less so. A compromise might be to consider a portable cassette toilet like used in smaller pop-ups and small sailboats. It would handle emergencies and you can walk to the bathhouse to shower during daylight or when the weather is better. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

In addition to truck stops, local pools, gyms, and the Y. Many private gyms offer a drop in day-use fee, while many national chains will allow members to use all the gyms in their chain. YMCA welcome all.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

25 minutes ago, Macodiva said:

Thanks Rob. I've thought about that, which brings me to my next question. Do those toilets not smell after a while in such a confined space? 

Slightly icky question but i'd rather find out sooner than later lol.

I've never had a problem with smell with a cassette toilet. You add a chemical to the holding tank with a little fresh water after you empty it. The upper tank holds fresh water for flushing and needs refilling. On the better units the upper and lower tanks come apart so all you have to carry to the dump site is the lower "cassette." Thetford is a major manufacturer of them and I've used them on sailboats since the mid '70s.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Finding a bathroom for a pit stop while traveling is ridiculously easy.  You see a gas station, I bet it has a bathroom.  Use the restroom, buy something on the way out, and you have met the "Restrooms are for customers only" policy.  There are also rest areas on most interstates.  

Remote camp grounds likely will have pit toilets but not showers.  As for getting up in the middle of the night in a rain storm, consider how often that will happen and if the cost is worth it.

You mention traveling with your dog.  Where will your dog be when you're showering at a truck stop or the Y?  Probably the same place your dog will be when your're grocery shopping.

Is a Sprinter a better fit for you than a slide-in truck camper?

Over the years, we've traveled and camped with no toilets and/or showers, a cassette toilet and no shower, a wet bath toilet and shower, and full bathrooms with a toilet and shower. While we did make all of them work at the time, the more time we spend in our RV, the more we've appreciated having a full bath available. We're both of an age when one or more late night bathroom trips are often needed, and showering in our own home is much preferred over sharing a public space. In a Class B, I think a wet bath would be the minimum I would find acceptable as a full timer.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I am an advocate for going small...even for extended or full time travel.  Even so, personally, I would not do without some comforts including a stove, refrigerator, heat, toilet and shower.  If it is a matter of money, you might need to look at a small, used travel trailer.  

Being totally self contained has a lot of advantages.  With a small self contained RV you can stay almost anywhere.  At the very minimum a toilet is all but a necessity.  For some a porta potti might do it.  I spend most of my days outdoors hiking and exploring.  At the end of the day, I am hot and sweaty.  In the old days, I got by with a sponge bath.  Now I really, really enjoy my shower.  It is a small wet bath and if a water supply is not nearby, I can get by with a Navy shower using a total of about 1 gallon of water.  That still greatly beats a sponge bath. 

Personally, I would not buy an RV without a complete bathroom.  Of course, we boondock where there are no facilities (and it would have to be a dire emergency for me to use an outhouse!).

Even on the rare occasions when we're in an RV park with bathroom facilities, we use our own.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

13 hours ago, Macodiva said:

My main question is should i be getting a van complete with shower, grey & black water tanks ect.

I have been involved in RV-related internet forums for many years but I do believe that this is the first time I have seen a post asking if a bathroom is necessary for living in an RV full-time. There is little doubt that it is possible to travel without one and many of us have done so for a period of time. I'll try and answer your question based upon our time traveling with no such facilities. RV parks do have public restrooms with showers but they also will cost you anywhere $25 to as much as $75 per night to stay there with an average for lower cost parks somewhere around $35 or more. That means that your cost per night will be much higher than if you were to have your own facilities because you can then stay many places that cost little or nothing. 

Then we need to consider the convenience factor. RV life is intended to be fun and there are bound to be times that the lack of your own restroom will be very inconvenient. Many of the best parks and scenic areas have only dry camping available and while we did use those without an RV restroom, we did so when much younger and only for short periods. You are talking of doing this all of the time, meaning never having your own restroom & shower. I grew up on a farm where we didn't have running water in the house and only an outdoor toilet and I can assure you that this can be done but it isn't something that I would ever consider returning to. It is very different to take a few weeks of vacation without your own potty & shower than it is to live every day for years without one. And remember that you will have days when you are sick or experience diarrhea! What will you do if that happens?

Trading RVs is always a major loss of money and I believe that you will either stop travel or trade RVs in a very short time if you buy an RV without at least some form of toilet & shower. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We had a wet bath in each of our two Sprinter-based Class Bs and would not have done well without them. While I was able to just do sponge baths most days being able to shower at home once a week was wonderful! And I would never travel without a toilet now that middle of the night trips are necessary.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We use our shower daily and bathroom facilities multiple times daily and well as a few trips at night.  Some campgrounds where sites are mostly filled could put you a good distance away from any facilities.  How many times do you want to walk that far to use the facilities?  

Pat DeJong

Thank you all.

I'm kind of on the same train of thought as JimK, small but comfortable. I would like to be able to be totally self sufficient. I've always managed to make do with what i've got. Obviously i would have some form of toilet, be it cassette/porta potty or whatever, i was more questioning the necessity of a shower.

I think i've been getting side tracked by my tent camping experiences, while having no bathroom is ok for a bit, it'd be very different story long term.

Kirk Wood your point of it's meant to be fun & enjoyable is my deciding factor :) 

Yes i can make do, but i'd rather make do more comfortably especially if it's going to be for an extended length of time!

I never even thought about when i get sick (as it rarely happens, thankfully) but yes for sure i'd be wanting my own sanctuary then!

Remoandiris I've looked at the truck slide in campers but would like something a bit less obvious for street parking if necessary. I'll not rule it out though, i'm big on keeping my options open.

You all make a good sounding board, thanks :)

Lots of folks out there camping in tents! Albeit not fulltime. Think about those submariners and how they lived a 'smelly' life. :unsure: But now they smell nice :rolleyes:

But I think if I tried to sell the idea of no shower/toilet to the better half I would be cut in half.

There are lots of folk fulltiming in older van conversions. It's just a mater of how comfortable you would be in one.

regards

I have done well using a truck camper for city, stealth or boondock camping.  A truck camper without slides and with blackout curtains works best.  Sure it is obviously a parked RV but it only takes up a parking spot and does not especially stand out.  The only problem I have ever had is in resort areas.  Those places attract lots of RVs and the residents (and local campgrounds and RV park owners) do not want them parking everywhere that is convenient.  Typically every street and potential parking area is posted in resort areas.

1 hour ago, Macodiva said:

I've looked at the truck slide in campers but would like something a bit less obvious for street parking if necessary.

This is one of those issues which I have never quite understood since Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, many churches, truck stops, and a host of other places usually allow one to spend the night when needed.  We have spent nights in all of those. A few towns do have restrictions on such stops, and I am not an advocate of attempting to violate laws, which gives all of us a bad reputation. If you get off of the interstate highways and travel the US routes, as we tend to do, you will find that most small towns will allow you to spend a night in their city park or some other location at no cost and they are happy to have you. Remember that in towns of 1,000 people or less, an RV buying a bag of groceries and a tank of fuel is a minor economic boom! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are retired and travel with RVs. We are at a stage in life when a bathroom with a shower is not considered a luxury but an absolute necessity. I didnt work all my life to do without a basic amenity. This is a silly question in my opinion.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

This is one of those issues which I have never quite understood since Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, many churches, truck stops, and a host of other places usually allow one to spend the night when needed. ......

Let me explain it from my perspective.  First of your list I really have only had consistent success with Walmart.  I stop on a regular basis and I typically buy my outdoor goods, Rv supplies and food there.  Overnighting is a lot less certain at Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, strip malls and the like.  Even churches are not necessarily all that welcoming. 

Legal issues are often not clear.  There are lots of ordinances against "camping", vagrancy, etc.  Sometimes no one is really sure what is permitted.  Police have a lot of discretion and I do not want to get into any arguments.  With a little common sense, I can park my truck camper almost anywhere.  I spent a week in Jasper.  I camped on the street across from a church so I did not block any residential parking.  I got up in the morning and visited the local bakery a block away.  Again, I spent a week, not a night.  I also spent close to a month in a snobby, ultra rich neighborhood of Mill Valley, CA.  In a few weeks, I am going to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.  It is way too late for reservations so I will wing it.  I have a rough idea of where I will stay if I cannot get a "walk up" campsite.  I may or may not decide to check with a ranger but I will find a convenient place to spend a night.  I can even park at the main lodge near Old Faithful if I keep a low profile. 

Being small, being self contained and not looking like a big rig with slides and generators and campfires makes a world of difference.    

When I drove commercial truck, I would stop at Walmart/Home Depots quite often and slept with one eye open with many interruptions. As a full time RV'r, I have not spent a night in a parking lot as of yet in 5 years and won't. With Passport America and a little searching you can usually find a FHU camp site for $15-20 which is well worth the good nights rest. The camping fees are in my budget for full timing.

Greg

1 hour ago, gjhunter01 said:

.....With Passport America and a little searching you can usually find a FHU camp site for $15-20 which is well worth the good nights rest. .....

Greg

Spending over $25 a night is more common.  My other concern would be "searching".  I tend to stop for the night when I am getting tired and need to find a place.  That can be a long, long way from a cheapie site.  Also I let my Passport America membership lapse.  Places that take PA, also often take AAA or AARP.  I think I used one of those discounts a few years ago.  Since then I have stayed in dozens of Walmart parking lots.  I have never had an incident.  I have never slept with one eye open.  In fact the security is better than a campground or RV park.  Every Walmart supercenter has cameras and often security guards patrolling the lot.  One time, at one Walmart I heard a loud domestic dispute.  I have also heard the same in campgrounds and the few RV parks I have stayed in. 

I for one very much appreciate the Walmart corporate policy of supporting RV travelers.  I will continue to support them with my purchases. 

There is no security in a Walmart parking lot, don't kid yourself. I once had an issue in a Eureka, CA. Walmart parking lot theft and asked to see their camera footage, management said no way per their company policy and that theft happens there all the time. The parking lot sweepers usually clean around 3 A.M. and there is no way to not hear that racket. Like I said, I spent many nights in Walmart parking lots in a truck and I appreciated them for that, but it's not something I would subject my wife to. I never understood RV's camping in a Walmart lot and promised myself I would never stoop that low once retired, if you can't afford to pay then don't play, camping that is. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way I see it.

Greg

Archived